GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current ride os a 2004 vfr800. I'm looking for something new, and have pretty much settled on either the S1000F or the N1K. Most of the head-to-head reviews pick the Suzuki, but they also mention (along with a lot of the forum posts) the snatchy throttle, and the dip between 3-5000 RPM.

There is a demo days coming here on the 23rd and 24th; I hope to ride the two bikes back to back and make my decision.

Well, that's my story; this is a great site and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2001 VFR with 80k miles on it. Did the Suzuki demo ride and decided to go with the GSX-S. The Suzuki hasn't taken the place of the VFR, but it makes a nice addition to the garage for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They are two reasonably different machines. Out of interest, may I ask how you settled on to those as the choices and not the GSXR1K and N1K or the GSXS1000F and the ZX1000SX? Whatever you choose you will be happy. Both are absolutely stonking bikes!

·
Registered
974 Posts
The ninja would be good if your going to pillion or are going to tour using the panniers that just clip onto the rear rails but if your looking for a sporty ride then the GSXS gets better reviews IMO , I have never ridden the ninja but I'm sure you would be happy either way

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ESXBOY, I'm no spring chicken any more; been riding on the street for almost 40 years exactly, and in the dirt before that. I admit that I get lazy on long rides on the VFR, and my right hand goes a bit numb as I fail to support my upper weight with my torso. So, I'm looking for something with a bit more upright riding position, but I want a relatively light, good handling bike with decent power. I have the hardbags for the VFR (they were $1100 when I bout them 10 years ago), but I ride 90% of the time without the bags, but almost always with a tank bag. I would consider something like the SW Motech Blaze bags for trips on either bike.

I think the GSXR would be too sporty for me in terms of riding position, and I think the ZX1000SX is what we call the Ninja 1000 here in the states.

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate input from "real" riders.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ah... My bad! A good friend of mine has the Z1000SX and adores it. The engine is an absolute peach. The only thing he moans about is the relatively sparse seat and the difficulty in successfully updating the exhaust without hampering midrange.

We haven't had the opportunity to ride back to back yet, but I've ridden his and you're in for a gloriously difficult choice as both bikes are amazing. It'll come down to personal preference on the day, I reckon.

ESXBOY, I'm no spring chicken any more; been riding on the street for almost 40 years exactly, and in the dirt before that. I admit that I get lazy on long rides on the VFR, and my right hand goes a bit numb as I fail to support my upper weight with my torso. So, I'm looking for something with a bit more upright riding position, but I want a relatively light, good handling bike with decent power. I have the hardbags for the VFR (they were $1100 when I bout them 10 years ago), but I ride 90% of the time without the bags, but almost always with a tank bag. I would consider something like the SW Motech Blaze bags for trips on either bike.

I think the GSXR would be too sporty for me in terms of riding position, and I think the ZX1000SX is what we call the Ninja 1000 here in the states.

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate input from "real" riders.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had back to back test rides as the two were on my shortlist too.

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-general-discussion/18098-test-ride-today.html

Although I didn't have any problems with the throttle response on the demo bike, I did have issues with my bike that I fixed with an ECU remap. Also note that I test rode the naked (no Fs in the country at that time) but bought the F. The F (IMO) is the better bike, especially at speed as the fairing adds downforce and makes it super stable as you hit licence loosing speeds. This was the second time I wanted the ZED, I also test rode the naked in 2011 but decided the CB1000R was better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had back to back test rides as the two were on my shortlist too.

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-general-discussion/18098-test-ride-today.html

Although I didn't have any problems with the throttle response on the demo bike, I did have issues with my bike that I fixed with an ECU remap. Also note that I test rode the naked (no Fs in the country at that time) but bought the F. The F (IMO) is the better bike, especially at speed as the fairing adds downforce and makes it super stable as you hit licence loosing speeds. This was the second time I wanted the ZED, I also test rode the naked in 2011 but decided the CB1000R was better.
Hey Martin,

I read through your post, and that's exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. From this and other posts, I'm not sure if the stated fueling/throttle issues are different riders sensitivities, or if the different bikes behave differently. And the N1K gets pretty consistent knocks for the vibration.

Anyway, thanks again; and I like the "Gixxus" name.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I test rode a ninja 1000 and it slight ly heavier, vibrates a little more then the GSX1k. My take is that it doesnt matter which bike you choose. What ever you feel suit u the best. they are all good bikes for vibes heavier weight. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
My current ride os a 2004 vfr800. I'm looking for something new, and have pretty much settled on either the S1000F or the N1K. Most of the head-to-head reviews pick the Suzuki, but they also mention (along with a lot of the forum posts) the snatchy throttle, and the dip between 3-5000 RPM.

There is a demo days coming here on the 23rd and 24th; I hope to ride the two bikes back to back and make my decision.

Well, that's my story; this is a great site and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.

John
The ninja is a gr8 bike but the gsxs f out perfoms it and is far more comfy and much nicer looking!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:cool:Hello to you guys.
me I had two ninja one 2011 and one 2015. I have run a total of 60 000km with the two ninja.
we now have a gsx s1000f 2016 2400 km ride.
the conduct and performance of the two bikes are similar.
Engine vibration seems stronger on the ninja.
the compression of the engine is stronger on the ninja.
The seat of gsx is more comfortable.
The wind protection is better on the ninja.
the brakes are more effective on gsx.
one or the other would be a good choice. :D:D:D
in my opinion:laugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I finally decided.

I got to test ride the GSX-S1000F at a demo days. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The ergos were really nice with lots of room. The only "difference" from my VFR that bothered me a bit is the wider bar. But riding it, I got used to that quickly. The two things that most impressed me were the engine ( really strong, and this bike didn't have any snatchiness that I noticed), and the tranny. It was the smoothest shifting bike I've ever ridden. I never was able to test ride the Kawi.

So, I put a deposit on a blue F model today, and will be picking it up on Tue; we're going out of town for the weekend. That means I'll be distracted and thinking of nothing else until I pick it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good choice!!!
I rode the Kawi and didn't like it as much as the GSX, though I did like the looks, but... looks.. it's just that, like your significant other, it's not the look you have to live with on the long run.
The Kawi's engine is buzzing/vibrating almost the entire rpm range, plus all the other things mentioned already, seat and etc.. it just seems that the Suzuki is much more refined bike all around.
The snatchiness doesn't bother me either and I do ride hard at times, if it is becoming a problem, there is a known quick fix to it with changing the throttle sleeve.
You will find that the GSX handles twisties really well, better then the Kawi from my experience that is, oh yea, another thing is the exhaust note of the stock GSX, is better then you can ever get as an aftermarket on a Kawi.

Enjoy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked it up today

I picked it up today, and did about 45 miles. The dealer set-up left a bit to be desired (both mirror stalks were loose, and they dialed in WAY too much fork compression damping). But, other than that, this is a blast to ride. I took a few of my favorite twisties, and the bike felt awesome. And, a pic to show it "happened"; new vs old...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think you made the right decision - I was torn between the F and the Ninja 1000/Z1000 SX. I test rode the Kawasaki first and decided to get it, thinking I needed hard luggage and good pillion seat.

I rode the GSX S1000 (naked) a couple of weeks later just to see what it was like and immediately decided to get it, test rode it again a month or two later, hadn't changed my mind so I bought the same as yours - F in blue.

Decided to buy the bike that best suited what I would be doing with it 95% of the time (spanking it on country lanes) and put up with soft luggage for the other 5%.

Girlfriend thinks I should've got the Kwak but we disagree 1000 miles later. :)

Edit: As somebody else said, felt with the Suzuki it was overall more refined. It does a bit less overall but, what it does do, I think it does better and with higher precision.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was actually watching some Ninja reviews last night as they just appeared on my you tube home screen and I remember a couple of reason for not getting the Kawasaki , I didn't like the z1000 tachometer,I didn't like how the ninja had no gear indicator ,I didn't like that massive muffler that was going to be more money spent but what worried me most and again last night is a few reviews now they had trouble with the gears not engaging, there may not be an issue but that made 3 reviews I have watched where it wouldn't change gears on new bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts