GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've received most of the parts now and started pulling down the bike today. Essentially removing everything I'd done to date. In hindsight I could've saved a few bucks had I decided to go this route from day one. I may put some parts up for sale in the near future if this build turns out though.

I'm looking at removing the cylinder head tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has managed, or if it's possible, to do so without dropping the engine? Just gotta throw in the low compression head gasket and adjustable cams whenever they turn up.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is some of the kit. Still waiting on the cams that were sent separately. Also the heavy duty clutch springs and 2 stage boost controller were missed so have to get them sent also.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Toy Font Asphalt

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
First issue I encountered was the different size injectors shown here. The throttle body needs to be drilled out to fit the new ones. I’d rather not attempt it with a hand drill so gonna look for a machine shop nearby to throw it on the drill press.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've got the new head gasket in now. It shouldn't have been a tough job but I was taking shortcuts. I did it without dropping the engine which is entirely possible but it's a tight fit to get the cylinder head off. My frustration resulted in the head gasket biting me and a trip to the hospital to get 5 stitches. Got back to it today though and she's all torqued up awaiting the new cams. Few piccies below.

·
Registered
2016 f
701 Posts
I've received most of the parts now and started pulling down the bike today. Essentially removing everything I'd done to date. In hindsight I could've saved a few bucks had I decided to go this route from day one. I may put some parts up for sale in the near future if this build turns out though.

I'm looking at removing the cylinder head tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has managed, or if it's possible, to do so without dropping the engine? Just gotta throw in the low compression head gasket and adjustable cams whenever they turn up.
id suggest some k1 cams for use with a turbo

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got the new head gasket in now. It shouldn't have been a tough job but I was taking shortcuts. I did it without dropping the engine which is entirely possible but it's a tight fit to get the cylinder head off. My frustration resulted in the head gasket biting me and a trip to the hospital to get 5 stitches. Got back to it today though and she's all torqued up awaiting the new cams. Few piccies below. View attachment 45797 View attachment 45798 View attachment 45799 View attachment 45800 View attachment 45801
Holy Jesus Christ, what are you doing here 😁

A frikin turbo on our bike 🔥🔥🔥 full power to you man, so looking forward to this build and the results.

it takes a lot of determination to build something like this, kudos to you man

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@OP, its been a while now, Any updates ?:D
Hey mate. Yeah it’s taken longer than I’d liked. The kit sent was stupidly incomplete so I was at a standstill for a while. I’ve got it all back together and she’s at the shop awaiting a dynotune at the moment though. They’re also quite busy but hoping to have it done in the next week.

The build has all gone pretty well so far. I loaded a base map to the PCV and run up the bike. I’ve disabled the idle speed control with the new plenum so the idle needs to be set manually once tuned / warmed up. I found one oil leak at the oil feed line on first start but other than that it was all pretty smooth. Attached are a few more rough pics.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry for the delay guys! Been a while since I had an update. It's been a longer than expected project for sure. I'll update in further detail soon but for now I can happily say the bike is finally ready! Dyno run attached.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 62 Posts