GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've received most of the parts now and started pulling down the bike today. Essentially removing everything I'd done to date. In hindsight I could've saved a few bucks had I decided to go this route from day one. I may put some parts up for sale in the near future if this build turns out though.

I'm looking at removing the cylinder head tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has managed, or if it's possible, to do so without dropping the engine? Just gotta throw in the low compression head gasket and adjustable cams whenever they turn up.

Reactions: Simon W

·
Registered
246 Posts
Post some pics please, like to see all the groovy stuff :)

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is some of the kit. Still waiting on the cams that were sent separately. Also the heavy duty clutch springs and 2 stage boost controller were missed so have to get them sent also.
103A7784-C8EE-477D-9CFD-0C9010FA7AD3.jpeg

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
First issue I encountered was the different size injectors shown here. The throttle body needs to be drilled out to fit the new ones. I’d rather not attempt it with a hand drill so gonna look for a machine shop nearby to throw it on the drill press.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What size are the new injectors? They look huge compared to the original.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What size are the new injectors? They look huge compared to the original.
Static Flow Rate @ 43.5PSI ( 300kPa ) w/Gas: 42 lb/hr = 446 cc/min
Static Flow Rate @ 87PSI ( 600kPa ) w/Gas: 67 lb/hr = 680 cc/min

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've got the new head gasket in now. It shouldn't have been a tough job but I was taking shortcuts. I did it without dropping the engine which is entirely possible but it's a tight fit to get the cylinder head off. My frustration resulted in the head gasket biting me and a trip to the hospital to get 5 stitches. Got back to it today though and she's all torqued up awaiting the new cams. Few piccies below.

Reactions: dekker and mike d

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,830 Posts
I had enough trouble just getting the rocker cover back on after a valve clearance check.
It leaked oil at 1st attempt. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mnschwarz

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've received most of the parts now and started pulling down the bike today. Essentially removing everything I'd done to date. In hindsight I could've saved a few bucks had I decided to go this route from day one. I may put some parts up for sale in the near future if this build turns out though.

I'm looking at removing the cylinder head tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has managed, or if it's possible, to do so without dropping the engine? Just gotta throw in the low compression head gasket and adjustable cams whenever they turn up.
id suggest some k1 cams for use with a turbo

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got the new head gasket in now. It shouldn't have been a tough job but I was taking shortcuts. I did it without dropping the engine which is entirely possible but it's a tight fit to get the cylinder head off. My frustration resulted in the head gasket biting me and a trip to the hospital to get 5 stitches. Got back to it today though and she's all torqued up awaiting the new cams. Few piccies below. View attachment 45797 View attachment 45798 View attachment 45799 View attachment 45800 View attachment 45801
Holy Jesus Christ, what are you doing here 😁

A frikin turbo on our bike 🔥🔥🔥 full power to you man, so looking forward to this build and the results.

it takes a lot of determination to build something like this, kudos to you man

21 - 30 of 30 Posts