GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Fantastic! looking forward to it! was it worth it btw? what was the most challenging ?
I’d say worth it. It’s turned out really well and Im happy it’s still really smooth. It certainly wasn’t required but I like the idea of doing something different too. Most challenging…. All of it haha. It’s not a small project. The guys who sold me the kit missed sooo many parts that I’d figure out along the way and then have to wait for them to be sent. There was no instruction or direction and very little assistance from them. It all just led to huge delays but we got there in the end!

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Great project! I'd love to see a video of you out on the road trying to tame this beast! How many pounds of boost were you running when you made the 241 number?
Will try post the dyno run vid in a moment with some finished pics. I’m overseas at the moment and it’s with my mate. He absolutely loves it but said he’s very happy to have the traction control as it’s going off constantly hah.

Boost was at 8psi for the dyno. The setup is good for 265hp at 12psi but I asked the tuner to err on the side of caution. They reckon it doesnt even seem like it’s trying 😂

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire
Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

• Love
Reactions: temporarykiwi

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

·
Registered
655 Posts
Will try post the dyno run vid in a moment with some finished pics. I’m overseas at the moment and it’s with my mate. He absolutely loves it but said he’s very happy to have the traction control as it’s going off constantly hah.

Boost was at 8psi for the dyno. The setup is good for 265hp at 12psi but I asked the tuner to err on the side of caution. They reckon it doesnt even seem like it’s trying 😂
Nice! Do you know at what RPM are you're starting to make boost? Does it feel restricted or laggy at low RPM prior to boost coming on strong? I'm curious how the bike feels compared to stock under normal low-mid RPM riding and cruising when you're not hammering on it.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Nice! Do you know at what RPM are you're starting to make boost? Does it feel restricted or laggy at low RPM prior to boost coming on strong? I'm curious how the bike feels compared to stock under normal low-mid RPM riding and cruising when you're not hammering on it.
Boost comes on about 4K nice and smooth. Doesn’t feel restricted down low. It’s idling a little higher than stock (~2k) and generally just feels like it wants to be ridden hard hah.

·
Registered
2018 GSX-S1000Z
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Registered
655 Posts
Boost comes on about 4K nice and smooth. Doesn’t feel restricted down low. It’s idling a little higher than stock (~2k) and generally just feels like it wants to be ridden hard hah.
That's perfect. That idle is about twice where it should be, but that can be corrected. I'd love to get some seat time on this thing! 😎

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've just settled on a turbo kit! I was looking in to an all motor rebuild but after many discussions I'm not sure I would hit my goal. So I settled on a turbo. Have just ordered one from Big CC Racing with dual boost controller for approximately 220 / 260HP. I plan to do the install myself and then take it in for a proper dyno tune. The one thing I'm not sure of is the exhaust. I've just gone with dump pipes to start but would like to keep the bike streetable and not obnoxiously loud. I've got a full M4 system on at the moment that I thought I could mod / reuse but I've been informed I need at least a 2.5" internal bore to be unrestricted and mine is 2.25". Thoughts?
go for it!!...i will be watching as i have decided to buy a superduke at the end of the year, then get my engine strengthened and a supercharger kit put on it, reason being i dont wanna let go of it as i love it (gsxs1000z Phantom) have put way to much money into it now...gonna see what BHP i can get out of it and i will just use it now and again without a pillion Lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
why can kawasaki make a bike with a supercharger and be reliable but people struggle bolting one on?
One was designed and manufactured from the ground up by a world renowned motorcycle manufacturer to run forced induction. The other is an aftermarket addition to an engine and chassis that was never designed for it. There are dozens of differences between an engine that's been properly engineered for boost and one that hasn't. Can you bolt a turbo or supercharger to an N/A engine and in some instances have a fairly reliable combination? Sure, but it will never be as cleanly designed and integrated, or reliable, as a bike designed to be boosted from the start. An H2 running 15 psi isn't even breaking a sweat, whereas a GSX-S running the same 15 psi is on borrowed time from the start.

That said, I have nothing against adding a turbocharger and having some fun, but anyone considering this should be aware of the possibility of catastrophic failure that could potentially come from doing so, the shortened lifespan of the engine after doing so, the packaging issues, and not to mention the additional tuning challenges and costs. It would be unwise to consider a factory supercharged H2 and a GSX-S with a turbo kit added as being even remotely on the same level in terms of reliability and longevity.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts