GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the tyre mileage of the D214 fitted as OEM.
I can see some it in other threads and just wanted a few more posts to see if the will last a forth comming trip . I'm already on 1500 miles and intent to do another 1200ish on a trip couple of weeks time - to Assen from the uk ...?

·
Registered
307 Posts
well i am on 2000 miles and they are not looking to good , but i haven't been hanging about shall we say lol just the back the front is still ok

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got 3000 from mine but it was finished no lines in the middle, the front had about another 1000 prob but i've changed to Bridgestone.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had 3200 out of mine and got a puncture so I changed it. It was just 1/2 mm above the wear markers.
I guess a lot depends on your style of riding. Problem with a trip like that is you will be doing a lot of high speed motorway driving and that can finish them off pretty quickly.
Why don't you rant it between now and your trip and then put on a nice new Metzler RR7 for the trip;)
No point in being caught out half way home and new rubber is less likely to take a puncture too

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have just under 2k but I beat on them hard and have left some serious lines on the Tarmac. But the track day I did definitely took a huge chunk out of it. Here's a photo of the tire falling apart. But considering the situation it's understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Curious about everyone's riding conditions. Over half my miles have been under 10°C and maybe a little under a third have been on wet roads. I'm almost always in TC mode 3. I'm almost to the wear bars. Just over 3,700 miles now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone it's a more interesting post than I thought I'll take some pictures of my rear tyre before I go and when I return for a comparison and post then on here .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Curious about everyone's riding conditions. Over half my miles have been under 10°C and maybe a little under a third have been on wet roads. I'm almost always in TC mode 3. I'm almost to the wear bars. Just over 3,700 miles now.
1st tyre 3000k's , 1000 of them on road to run in before taking to track. Replaced with Dunlop street smart, by 5000ks was as bald as a beaver, all track use except first 1000ks. Replaced with Dunlop Sportmax . Ride day temperatures have varied from 44centigrade to 10 deg cent and pouring rain. All three tyres have provided great wet and dry grip once good and hot after a few laps. All 3 have slipped a bit early on on cold wet days, with traction on 3 light comes on regularly but no ''moments''. In the dry i have never seen traction light come on using control 2 , and only rarely in traction 3. Will try traction 1 when have more confidence in my control and happy with setup , but as i can't yet get it to switch on in level 2 no matter how hard i push in the dry may be leaving it there for a long time yet.I follow dunlops very low tyre pressure recommendations for track use. Around 22 to 24 lbs in rear and 32 lbs front , which is still the original tyre and in great shape .

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welp, mine finally wore through, just in time too, tire arrived today. Noticed the first marks while at work. Stopped at a gas station about half way home, the first half is interstate.

Before leaving work, 3872 miles.

Mid way home, this is 3896 miles.

I didn't line up the picture very well, but the bottom half of the second pic is the same section of tire as in the first pic. In that section there is a significant difference in wear over those 24 miles. Also, the wear topmost wear in the second pic was not apparent when I took the first. So, when these tires go, they go very suddenly. For comparison this last pic is the same I posted earlier, that was just over 3600 miles (like 3620 or so). And there was only the tiniest bit of wear apparent, 4tune8 even said they look brand new.

So, if you're on the stock tires, inspect them frequently, don't just guess about how much you'll have left. That said, I got 3922 miles on them all told. Forgot to take another pic before I brought the rear wheel to the shop, but I asked them to save the old tire for me (figure I can throw it on for a dyno run someday, if I ever get around to it) so I can post the final pic later.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I got 6000km on my stock before a new pair of PR4. Mine still had much more life compare to USSENTERNCC1701E tires.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got 6000km on my stock before a new pair of PR4. Mine still had much more life compare to USSENTERNCC1701E tires.
That's part of what worries me about these stock tires, yesterday they looked just fine, and I had a little over 6000km on them by then. It's really within the last couple hundred kilometers that they just fell apart. That bottom picture where they look fine would have right around 5800km. I noticed visible wear at just about 6400 km. I inspect them before every ride, and my commute is about 90km one way.

P.S. I guess this is a warning to OP. If you're going to cross, let say with a safety margin, 3000 miles on your trip, change them first. So, I'd plan to ride very little in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Different bikes, riders, temp, road surfaces , all make a big difference to mileage , my heavy sport touring ZZR1100 using Bridgestones, gave me great grip and mileage in the West Australian extreme heat and rough road surfaces. Put on Michelin one time and hated them . My SVS1000 came with Michelin from new, loved them , tried bridgestones , hated them on that bike.
I get free fitting and a 20% discount on price if i fit tyres for GSXS at the track. They only sell Dunlop. If i get 2000ks from street smart am pleased. If i get more than 900ks from the very sticky sportmax am extremely pleased. If i planned to ride from Perth to Phillip Island 8500+ for the return trip i would not use those tyres . If i commuted 180ks a day i would not use those tyres . I am jealous of all the owners who get a long commute to work . What a great way to start the day...........

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got just over 10,000 kms out of the rear tire. Actually it should have been changed much sooner, but I started a long trip into northern Ontario when it had about 8000 kms, and it still looked pretty good then so I thought it had enough life in it. But after the first day of my trip, it had deteriorated much faster than I expected, so I cut my trip short and headed home, unfortunately at that time I was almost 1000 kms away from home. When I got home I put on a Bridgestone BT023 which hopefully should last a lot longer.

I think these Dunlop D214's were the wrong tires to put on this bike, it should have come with a longer lasting tire.

As for my front tire, it still looks good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have about 3,300 miles on my stock tires and the rear is fading fast. When I compare it to the pics above posted by Captain Kirk (Thanks James T.), I think I better order new tires very soon.

I have decided to put Pirelli's on it. A Rosso II on the front an Angel GT on the rear. My other bike has had Rosso II's on it from the beginning and I have great confidence in them. But for some reason (go figure?) the rear always wears out before the front, so on my GSXS I want to try a longer lasting Angel GT on the rear.

CaptainSlow, you guy must have some nice smooth roads up in Canada for you to get that kind of mileage out of the stock tires. I do know that high speed highway travel takes a toll on the rear. And I have to do that for a ways in order to get to some more fun roads.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It makes sense that the rear should wear out much sooner than the front. The rear is the one that delivers all the power from the engine to the road. The front is just rolling along and not taking much wear, except when you brake hard or take corners fast. Some say you should always change tires in pairs but to me that seems like a waste when the front lasts twice as long as the rear, and I really don't see any harm in putting on a new rear while waiting until the front reaches the wear bars before changing it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
How many km's or miles are you guys getting out of the original front tyre, I have a 1000km run to do this weekend and I'm at 7000km now and worried it will deteriorate just as quick as the rear one did at the end , it's not near the wear marks yet but either was the rear when the canvas decided to say hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts