GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In the market for new tyres, am thinking Bridgestone S20 evo.

Just wondered if anyone else has them fitted?

Also am thinking of getting 190/55 anyone else use this size instead?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
S21's are out and supposed to be better than the S20 EVO for grip and wear. I have a set on the shelf waiting to be put on.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't forget the 55 throws out the gearing, so if you wish to retain the same urgency from standstill you'll need to add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm going for a set of Metzeler's M7 RR that I've heard and read good reports about... bloody original japlops are over half worn already with only 1500 miles on them...!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
The stockers don't seem to fair well at all, eh? MAybe Suzuki realised that lots of people change the stock tyres quickly anyway, so thought they'd help their customers along?

I'm going for a set of Metzeler's M7 RR that I've heard and read good reports about... bloody original japlops are over half worn already with only 1500 miles on them...!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Haven't heard the tyre size affecting gearing, thats new to me
If you have a bigger wheel to turn you would need a bigger rear cog to turn it, however I didn't think changing from 50 to 55 would do that much, I've always replaced like for like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Haven't heard the tyre size affecting gearing, thats new to me
Max speed 50/55 profile 11500rpm :-
1st-82/84 2nd-102/105 3rd-123/126 4th-140/144 5th-154/159 6th-165/170
In theory.:)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Adding 2 teeth on the back sprocket would change it about 4.5% which definitely can be felt. I would assume 3% could be felt as well, but everyone is different.
Does anyone only add teeth in the rear? Usually you would also subtract a tooth in the front to avoid having to add links.

-1/+2 gives you 11.1% more torque on this bike which is almost 4 times more than this tire size change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone only add teeth in the rear? Usually you would also subtract a tooth in the front to avoid having to add links.

-1/+2 gives you 11.1% more torque on this bike which is almost 4 times more than this tire size change.

Normally you can go up 2 in the rear without adding links. 3 teeth require a longer chain. On my VFR I went down 1 tooth in the front instead of 3 in the rear (close to the same amount).

I bought the GSX-S used and the previous owner went up 2 in the rear. I don't know if he changed the front sprocket or not though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did feel the change in gearing the first couple days after switching from stock tire to Michaelin pr4. After that it all backed to normal.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I changed to Pirelli Rosso Corsa in 195/55 17s.

Bike grips.much better and turns in more easily
Huge improvement.

I didn't want the bike any slower because of the gearing change so I went -1/+2 so.overall gearing now about 7% lower, really quick and responsive now

I don't cruise much on fast roads so no disadvantage there.

The only downsides are with the lower gearing, better tyres and a reflashed ECU (not so lean) fuel consumption has got worse but I think mainly caused by enjoying it so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have just done 1000 km with the dunlop sport smart 190 55. Really dont notice any gearing changes. Tip in and cornering is a lot quicker and better. It feels a lot to lean also you can get more lean angle compared to stock tyres.
What is noticible is the bike is taller. Im a short ass and definately noticed

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've also been wondering about this. I would go with pirelli rosso corsa as well, they're my preffered tyre i've had on my bikes. But I have been thinking about the swap to a 55 instead of the 50. I've heard it handles better, also I got told a smaller profile on the front would help also like a 120/65 instead of the 120/70. Anyone tried that ?? I put the stock tyres through there paces this weekend and wasn't too impressed they did ok but I was riding with traction control on 3 and it was going off all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Level 3 is going to go of no matter what tyre you have. The stadard tyres are quite soft. The taller rear tyre helps handling. Turn in is quicker and more stable when leaning.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts