GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best size to run on our bike . I've got road 5s on my other Suzuki rf900 and love them . Iv heard you can run 200 size on our bike too . Any help appreciated .馃憤

Registered
It depends on the make in regard to running a 200 wide tyre. I'd suggest a 195/55 as it is the best size tyre for our rear rim and offers the largest footprint when leant over on the side of the tyre. I use Michelin Power RS on my bike after trying various tyres on track and the Michelin was what I found to be the best of what is available.

Registered
Agree with Robieben. 195/55. Handle much better than the 190's in my opinion. I've been using Avon Tires. They wear like iron and handle great also. Just put on a set of Avon Spirit ST's on and really impressed. I had a set of Avon Storm 3D's on a yamaha MT-09 I sold last year with 10k miles on the tires and they looked almost new. I'm a pretty aggressive rider also. Enjoy!

Registered
It depends on the make in regard to running a 200 wide tyre. I'd suggest a 195/55 as it is the best size tyre for our rear rim and offers the largest footprint when leant over on the side of the tyre. I use Michelin Power RS on my bike after trying various tyres on track and the Michelin was what I found to be the best of what is available.
I'm not aware of any 195/55 motorcycle tire..

Registered
I got pirreli diablo rosso llls there super stickey I changed the size from 190/50 to 190/55. Super big difference it is noticeably taller and handles like no other if your getting new tires give them a shot you won't regret it

Registered
Agree with Robieben. 195/55. Handle much better than the 190's in my opinion. I've been using Avon Tires. They wear like iron and handle great also. Just put on a set of Avon Spirit ST's on and really impressed. I had a set of Avon Storm 3D's on a yamaha MT-09 I sold last year with 10k miles on the tires and they looked almost new. I'm a pretty aggressive rider also. Enjoy!
Can you guys tell me where I can get this size tire?? Is it a custom size or something from Michelin?? All I can find is a 190/55-17??

Registered
This is the only help I can offer:

OEM is 190/50. If you want the bike to turn in quicker, go 190/55.

If you somehow add 50 HP to the bike, consider going to a 200. If you somehow add 50 HP and want the bike to turn in quicker go with 200/55.

If you're going to race on a slow, technical track, consider a 180/55. If you're going to race on a fast, easy track, consider a 190/50.

If you always ride in the rain, get a tire with a lot of sipes. If you always ride when it's dry, don't get a tire with a lot of sipes.

There is no 195/N anything at this time (not in my market).

Registered
What鈥檚 the best model tire you guys have luck with? My new bikes rear tire was done at 2500 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
That's a loaded question. There are a lot of experienced riders that swear by different tires, and it depends on what you want out of a tire. There are also a lot of good tire choices out there. Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop, to name a few. Do you ride in the rain? Do you do the track? Do you want long tread life? Those might be different tires. ;)
For me (commuter and occasional weekend mountain twisties), the stock tires are meh, I put on some new Mich R5s at 6K something and the R5s are whole different level. They handle and stick way better than stock. I ridden them in the wet and they were great too. I don't know how long they will last, but the internet says they will go lot's of miles, (so it must be true).

Registered
That's a loaded question. There are a lot of experienced riders that swear by different tires, and it depends on what you want out of a tire. There are also a lot of good tire choices out there. Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop, to name a few. Do you ride in the rain? Do you do the track? Do you want long tread life? Those might be different tires. ;)
For me (commuter and occasional weekend mountain twisties), the stock tires are meh, I put on some new Mich R5s at 6K something and the R5s are whole different level. They handle and stick way better than stock. I ridden them in the wet and they were great too. I don't know how long they will last, but the internet says they will go lot's of miles, (so it must be true).

I commute on my bike I don鈥檛 normally drive my truck unless I鈥檓 picking something up And can鈥檛 fit it on my bike, but I also ride the canyons almost every other day because I live behind the canyons in Santa Clarita so I鈥檓 always riding the stock tires didn鈥檛 last for ****, I have been doing 140mph down the highway for a good hr so that鈥檚 the main reason the stock tire just got destroyed

Registered
Well, I got pretty good miles out of the stock tires, but I'm pretty light and do a lot of commuting, and the miles I got after 3500 or so, well... I think I would have been better off replacing them sooner. :)
I've never done over 140 for more than a brief stint (at 146, even the mild undulations in the terrain become speed bumps). That's my max and even though on my commute, I can usually goose it to > 100, I don't sustain that.

(I'm a puss).

Registered
Well, I got pretty good miles out of the stock tires, but I'm pretty light and do a lot of commuting, and the miles I got after 3500 or so, well... I think I would have been better off replacing them sooner. :)
I've never done over 140 for more than a brief stint (at 146, even the mild undulations in the terrain become speed bumps). That's my max and even though on my commute, I can usually goose it to > 100, I don't sustain that.

(I'm a puss).

No your not a puss, I鈥檓 just young and ride fast, Both times I did 140 down the hwy was because I was late and people where waiting on me I try to not kill my bike like that to much I try to keep it around 97 on a cruise

Registered
The stock OEM D204s (rear is 190/50-17) are crap. Not enough grip and they wear out quickly. But that's a good thing so you can put BETTER tires on the bike sooner rather than later. That low-profile 50 series tire LOOKS cool though.

190/55-17 is the size to get. The bike will handle and turn-in better. If you are more of a 'high-speed, straight down the freeway' kinda-guy, then maybe get the 50 series again? Your call.

Michelin Road 5 tires for LIFE and grip

Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II for GRIP and then life (not sure how much life...but when you're living the dream, who cares?)
Bridgestones?
Dunlops?
Metzelers? I do like the Sportecs! (M3, M5, M7...they are all pretty good)

Stick with something name brand and you won't go far wrong. If you get a Kenda, Shinko, or Chen Shing or anything 'weird' like that, I hope you just bought it to do smokey burnouts on because they are crap on the road. Don't cheap out on tires. Your life kind of depends on them, you know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts