GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this from another site I am on, guess I won't be fitting LED bulbs after all :(

TL;DR -
Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Thanks for that info.
The standard headlight units seem to work OK so is it worth converting them? Having said that in nearly all of Australia 110kph is the max speed limit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Got this from another site I am on, guess I won't be fitting LED bulbs after all :(
They have always been illegal unless they are an OEM fitment as far as I was aware.
Also, you will get a failure if you fit rally headlight bulb or a Nightbreaker bulb. I'm pretty sure anything over 55w low beam and 65 high beam is illegal.
That said, they've got to catch you first and there are enough MOT stations around which pass some crazy loud exhausts os the odd bright light shouldn't be a problem :giggle:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Exhaust modifications are usually illegal too, so is speeding, not using your turn signal....

That said, I can't stand when people put a bright LED bulb in a halogen housing. That should be illegal, and blinding oncoming drivers is not a good idea as a rider. Proper retrofits provide good lighting for the rider and other drivers. Plus, done right, it's unlikely that the law man will know it's been modified.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought a "LED" bulb from ebay for my Victory a few years ago. It was totally pathetic and resembled a xmas tree twinkle lights with no discernable beam pattern whatsoever. Once bitten etc...

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,542 Posts
On the subject of MOT's on my first test I was advised that if you have a passenger seat then you should also have passenger footrests. I had also removed the strap from the seat and was told that was not strictly legal either. The bike passed but these things were noted as advisory details on the certificate.
So now the footrests and strap go back on for the the test.

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the subject of MOT's on my first test I was advised that if you have a passenger seat then you should also have passenger footrests. I had also removed the strap from the seat and was told that was not strictly legal either. The bike passed but these things were noted as advisory details on the certificate.
So now the footrests and strap go back on for the the test.
Typical government thinking. Here you only need passenger footrests if you have a passenger on the back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts