GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is going to be controversial, but it was a quick way for me to decat/deox/devalve my 16 GSXS and get rid of the stock box muffler. I cut the stock pipe right in front of the valve, and welded on a short 2" tube to go into the 1st muffler, which is a 300mm Yoshi. Then a 45deg elbow, and what is supposed to be a 240mm Akro (but I think its a knock-off). What Im trying to do is have a flow-thru but as quiet as I can get. Yes, tried it with just the front muffler, but found it really loud with an annoying metallicy overtone. Ideally I'd like to lengthen the primaries and secondaries, and put a big long can at the back, but this gets it sounding better for now.

Has the typical inline 4 howl at WOT, and kind of a huffy, growly sound at low rpms. Not the best sport bike sound but better than stock.

Reactions: Sixstring123#

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was wondering about this. And I'm encouraged that others are thinking about it like I am. Did it save any weight? I'm kind of on the fence with regards to the exhaust. I like the idea of the additional hp, but my bike runs nicely and doesn't attract attention. I think the bike would benefit from being lighter. And the exhaust is a relative cheap way of doing that I believe. I am curious to whether it needs the 2 mufflers to remain legal. This thought is based off exhaust manufactures such as SC Project only doing slip ons; assume this is for compliance reasons.

Anyway nice work Revac.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is going to be controversial, but it was a quick way for me to decat/deox/devalve my 16 GSXS and get rid of the stock box muffler. I cut the stock pipe right in front of the valve, and welded on a short 2" tube to go into the 1st muffler, which is a 300mm Yoshi. Then a 22deg elbow, and what is supposed to be a 240mm Akro (but I think its a knock-off). What Im trying to do is have a flow-thru but as quiet as I can get. Yes, tried it with just the front muffler, but found it really loud with an annoying metallicy overtone. Ideally I'd like to lengthen the primaries and secondaries, and put a big long can at the back, but this gets it sounding better for now.
View attachment 46311
Has the typical inline 4 howl at WOT, and kind of a huffy, growly sound at low rpms. Not the best sport bike sound but better than stock.
I think its cool-- I have seen a mid pipe cat delete pipe on eBay for 50 dollars used with the stock can they said it ran fine

·
Registered
329 Posts
Curious why you went this route instead of using a standard GSX-S decat pipe since you had to cut the exhaust either way? They use the original exhaust mounting point under the bike and exit in the factory location so you can use any slip-on designed for the GSX-S, from the little shorty cans to the full length/quieter ones. They also have provisions for mounting the stock or aftermarket heat shield made for the GSX-S or one that's included with your slip-on. They're about $60 and you can have one to your door in a couple days. Makes for a very lightweight and clean solution when done right, plus you end up with a great sounding bike.

This is the route I originally went before going to a full system. As for the exhaust valve, simply disconnecting the servo motor cables allows the valve to go 100% wide open, which is it's default position.

This is what mine looked like with the decat pipe installed. Can't see much because of the carbon heat shield included with the Akrapovic slip-on, but you get the idea, I'm sure. This eliminates both catalytic converters and the muffler box. As I mentioned, you can also disconnect the servo motor cables which will allow the exhaust valve to stay wide open all the time, but doing this will trigger an FI light. You can get a servo buddy or a flash to remedy the light. Or you can leave the exhaust valve functioning as designed. I ran it both ways and there was a negligible difference in sound, with it being just a bit quieter with the valve still connected versus leaving it wide open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In answer to the questions above: It saves about 4lbs. I have a Danos reflash, so de-ox'ing & de-valving causes no ECU codes. 871 above: yes I have known about that cheap asian decat pipe and definitely considered it in the past, but wanted to do my own pipes. Dang, your system looks a lot better than mine, nice work

·
Registered
329 Posts
In answer to the questions above: It saves about 4lbs. I have a Danos reflash, so de-ox'ing & de-valving causes no ECU codes. 871 above: yes I have known about that cheap asian decat pipe and definitely considered it in the past, but wanted to do my own pipes. Dang, your system looks a lot better than mine, nice work
I wouldn't say mine looks better than yours, it's just set up differently. You can take pride in the fact that you did it yourself. I do appreciate the compliment, though.

And the decat pipe is quite inexpensive, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at the build quality. I had my reservations about it because it comes from China, but the quality of the stainless steel was great, the welds were very nice, and the bends were done on a mandrel bender, so they were perfectly smooth. It bolted into place like a factory part. The hanger and heat shield mounting brackets were both located appropriately and the inlet and outlet diameters were spot on. Not often that the Chinese parts end up working so well without any extra effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts