GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
New to this forum an fairly new to my gsxs1000F what’s the best upgrades
Strip off the fairing and make it an 'S'
Always a good start haha

Tail tidy, smaller rear plate, remove reflectors and manufacturers info stickers, full system not cat, filter remap,
Rear shocker....

Roughly in that order haha

·
Registered
142 Posts
EBC double sintered brake pads used to be a very quality first upgrade, big difference on my 2018 for bite and feel, and probably worth doing even if the stock pads still have life.

If you're still on stock tires, when you replace them, Michelin pilot road 5 are a great way to go too.

Possible down a tooth front, up a couple rear too, since the gears are tall as ****. You can do a 520 conversion and save some weight.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ignore the a-holes. You got the right model, the F, and you will love it. It's fine with no mods. If you start feeling the high speed bumps, you might want a new rear shock. That's the weakest link on the bike. There are plenty of mods for personal preference, but it's pretty darn good the way it is. I replaced stock tires with Michelin Road 5s after 6K (and they are not "pilots" anymore). Very good tires. Just make it yours, and enjoy! ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you’re just riding the bike on the road, and are not an aggressive rider, then I’d just replace the rear shock. If your bike has a snatchy throttle, then consider a booster plug, ecu flash, or power commander. I recommend Roadsmart 3 tires. Handle well, warm up quickly, last a long time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I always smile at this recommendation. You could take a sh1t and save more weight. I love to sh1t so it's a win win.
Not trying to say do it for that. But I was trying to imply to do it if you're changing the sprockets out anyways.

I found the 520 set cheaper, the chain was noticeably lighter, and for rotating mass, the difference I felt was worth the switch. Especially considering the price difference in sprockets(for the -1/+2 teeth) paid for the new chain.

But do it exclusively for the weight difference? No. Not worth it at all. But, if you want to add or take out teeth, and since you can do it for the same price, with a chain rated to the same tensile strength as stock? Why not.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not trying to say do it for that. But I was trying to imply to do it if you're changing the sprockets out anyways.

I found the 520 set cheaper, the chain was noticeably lighter, and for rotating mass, the difference I felt was worth the switch. Especially considering the price difference in sprockets(for the -1/+2 teeth) paid for the new chain.

But do it exclusively for the weight difference? No. Not worth it at all. But, if you want to add or take out teeth, and since you can do it for the same price, with a chain rated to the same tensile strength as stock? Why not.
I'm replacing my chain , & going up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket I've gone down 1 on the front about 10k miles ago.

You recommend that I go for a 520 setup?

·
Registered
706 Posts

I get that, and if you're intending on swapping sprockets or chain then it definitely makes sense. I personally appreciate the standard gearing. Makes for really lazy riding through the city. You could argue for taller higher gears but it suits me fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On the subject of changing gearing, will going -1 up front and +2 or 3 rear, make my 2016 the wheelie machine I thought it was going to be when I bought it?
My front end stays planted and I don’t like popping the clutch to bring it up, I like the ability to roll onto the throttle and bring it up, like the 1994 CBR900 I drove 26 years ago. Even the 2007 GSX-R 750 I had would come up easier and I can definitely tell this 1000 has much more torque.
I don’t know, maybe at 50 I am not really riding as hard as I think I am. The last 10 years have brought multiple surgeries so maybe I think I am getting on the bike hard sometimes but in reality I am not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm replacing my chain , & going up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket I've gone down 1 on the front about 10k miles ago.

You recommend that I go for a 520 setup?
I'd stick with 525. You'll give up durability going to a 520 for no real noticeable gain in performance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the subject of changing gearing, will going -1 up front and +2 or 3 rear, make my 2016 the wheelie machine I thought it was going to be when I bought it?
My front end stays planted and I don’t like popping the clutch to bring it up, I like the ability to roll onto the throttle and bring it up, like the 1994 CBR900 I drove 26 years ago. Even the 2007 GSX-R 750 I had would come up easier and I can definitely tell this 1000 has much more torque.
I don’t know, maybe at 50 I am not really riding as hard as I think I am. The last 10 years have brought multiple surgeries so maybe I think I am getting on the bike hard sometimes but in reality I am not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes it will , standard is 17tooth at the front & 44teeth at the rear - I've gone to 16 at the front & when I change the chain I'll goto 45 at the rear just for a little more of a kick - at some point i might even try 15 at the front

·
Registered
217 Posts
the bike doesn't pull as much as I thought it would in its stock form - but then again my aim is a 2020 SuperDuke R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts