GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is just barely a year old and has only 7000 miles on it and it overheats. The fan will not kick on and the temp gauge maxes out and the red light will come on forcing me to pull out of traffic and wait. I pulled the fan fuse and it WAS blown, but I replaced it with a new one and it still will not kick on. Where is the Fan relay located? My manual has no information on it so I am at a loss. I am on vacation with the bike and I really wish I could fix the problem without blowing my vacation money taking it to a repair shop.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The relay is under the seat between the battery and the regulator/rectifier. The fan is the only thing on that circuit - it should be a 15 amp fuse and the fan should draw around 5 amps, so plenty of cushion there. Either the fan itself is shorting or the wiring insulation has rubbed and caused a short to the frame. It would be helpful to know if the fuse blows as soon as the bike is turned on or if it is when the fan tries to turn on. That would tell you if the short was before or after the relay. Also, does the fan spin freely or is it binding? If binding is it bearings or are the blades caught on something?

If the fuse blows right away it isn't a problem with the fan but probably in the wiring between the fuse and the relay.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think those relays just unplug...you could try unplugging it to further narrow down the short. While I've never seen it happen, I guess the relay itself could short.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relay is under the seat between the battery and the regulator/rectifier. The fan is the only thing on that circuit - it should be a 15 amp fuse and the fan should draw around 5 amps, so plenty of cushion there. Either the fan itself is shorting or the wiring insulation has rubbed and caused a short to the frame. It would be helpful to know if the fuse blows as soon as the bike is turned on or if it is when the fan tries to turn on. That would tell you if the short was before or after the relay. Also, does the fan spin freely or is it binding? If binding is it bearings or are the blades caught on something?

If the fuse blows right away it isn't a problem with the fan but probably in the wiring between the fuse and the relay.
I have found the problem. The fan is completely seized in place...welp goodbye vacation money

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did something obstruction the fan or damage it so that it seized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as I can see no, the fan looks completely fine but will not budge unless I put excessive force on it. Shouldn't of let that warranty run out :crying:. I'm going to limp it home as best as I can and work on it from there with all my tools. I'll post in this again just in case anyone else has the problem.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Did something obstruction the fan or damage it so that it seized?
Yes, can you tell if it is internal or external? Could be the difference between an expensive repair and a quick fix.

Edit: posted at the same time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you have to stop for more than several seconds, you could turn the bike off. Slow traffic would be a problem, though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you ride a lot in rain or dust? You (meaning I) just don't hear much about these fans seizing up, even on bikes ridden in harsh conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have to stop for more than several seconds, you could turn the bike off. Slow traffic would be a problem, though.
Just out of curiosity, do you ride a lot in rain or dust? You (meaning I) just don't hear much about these fans seizing up, even on bikes ridden in harsh conditions.
Found the problem.. Throttle cable is wedged in above the fan...I have no idea if this has been like this always because I've never been in a situation where I sit for 10+ minutes in traffic...

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
In the UK we have 2 years warranty, Isnt it the same with you, so your still covered for work being done with the cables being replaced/moved

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
bought the 5 year warranty,,,i never did that before.....includes 500 dollars to be used towards maintenance ..tire replacement free no pro rating ,,wash after service . pick up and deliver bike bla bla bla.....boles hope its an easy fix for ya

·
Registered
985 Posts
Boles - did you buy the bike new? Just wondering if it had been taken apart and that cable re-routed improperly. Haven't studied mine yet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmmm.
So there are at least one advantage to live in "arctic" climate.
I have never, ever experienced the fan "kick in" during the two (summer) years using my GSXS.
But I do avoid standing still though.
:)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just checked mine. That is actually the clutch cable, just behind where it goes over the sharp edge of the radiator on the right side. (http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-maintenance/33074-clutch-cable-wear-read-thread.html)

Mine is routed similarly to how it appears in the pic above, but there is a complete shroud over the fan that prevents contact with the blades. Maybe your shroud is broken, kind of hard to tell from the picture. What with going over the sharp radiator and being pressed into the fan, I think Suzuki screwed up in the design of the cable routing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts