So I decided to install a USB for charging my iPhone when on the go
I'm using the factory heated grips plug since it is a switched power source

My USB purchased from Amazon

The pins in plug to fit the factory one

Inserted the wires into the pins and the female end of the plug

I attach the USB to the handlebar using zip ties

Plug in all the wires behind the headlight

I tested it with an old iPhone just to make sure nothing was going to get fried

Works awesome and looks almost OEM.....you almost cant even see it under the handlebar if nothing is plugged in.......my pics dont do the install justice....the only wires i had to cut were the ring terminals on the usb to convert to oem style pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Looks a good job:)
My first Iphone charger looked very similar to yours. It burned out on it's first big trip when I was using the phone as a sat nav. Make sure you have the more powerful 1.2 amp charger as a minimum and not the 1 amp or you might be disappointed. Hopefully you will be fine. I've since switched to a high power duel charger and haven't had an issue yet:nerd: Lesson learned, no more cheap Ebay crap for me:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Look a clean job!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks a good job:)
My first Iphone charger looked very similar to yours. It burned out on it's first big trip when I was using the phone as a sat nav. Make sure you have the more powerful 1.2 amp charger as a minimum and not the 1 amp or you might be disappointed. Hopefully you will be fine. I've since switched to a high power duel charger and haven't had an issue yet:nerd: Lesson learned, no more cheap Ebay crap for me:D
good point.....its actually a 2.1 amp usb port. fairly simple thing but well made to be honest....nice thick plasticy rubber around the usb with a solid water resistant cover, thick wires and an inline fuse. Not much more to ask for......I guess time will tell how long it lasts!.

I wonder how hard wireless charging would be?

Link to the USB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSK7ZAV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connectors and Pins

Sumitomo HM Unsealed Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

other places sell the connectors but watch shipping.....one place wanted to charge over $200 shipping for the connectors until my purchase was more than $20....they were only like $5-6

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Whoops!, my bad. I might have meant 2.1 amp and not 1.2. It wouldn't be the first time my dyslexia rules K.O

That first link looks the biz. I can't remember where I picked mine up from but it was from a marine store.
I also use it for topping up a little battery cell when i'm off camping which I can use on an evening when there are no power outlets around. Of course, if I hadn't wired mine into the switched side of the ignition I wouldn't need to worry about that but I felt safer doing that way:laugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
good point.....its actually a 2.1 amp usb port. fairly simple thing but well made to be honest....nice thick plasticy rubber around the usb with a solid water resistant cover, thick wires and an inline fuse. Not much more to ask for......I guess time will tell how long it lasts!.

Link to the USB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSK7ZAV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connectors and Pins

Sumitomo HM Unsealed Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic

other places sell the connectors but watch shipping.....one place wanted to charge over $200 shipping for the connectors until my purchase was more than $20....they were only like $5-6
DQBan, this looks like a great solution to getting a USB. Can you please tell us which exact connectors you got? I would love to replicate your effort.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As far as wiring, shouldn't be any more difficult, depending on the wireless base you use, most (android Qi) ones I've seen are just powered through a USB connection. Just make sure your adapter is rated high enough to handle the wireless charger's draw. The difficulty would be in fabricating a mount for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you, this is very helpful! I have the F model and need to install a new USB charger ahead of an upcoming trip next weekend.

Earlier, I had connected my USB directly to the battery through an SAE connector. After several months of use, the USB has died (don't know if this was due to the electrical connections or weather exposure!) From your video, I can follow the approach of using the HMU-2P to create the connector. It would be great if you could provide some additional clarity on the following:

1. Where can I locate the additional connector for the heated grips, which will be re-purposed for the USB connector?
2. How can I attach a fuse between the HMU-2P and the USB connector (and what is the part # of the fuse/ where can I get it)?

Appreciate your casting some light on what are probably newbie questions!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thank you, this is very helpful! I have the F model and need to install a new USB charger ahead of an upcoming trip next weekend.
1. Where can I locate the additional connector for the heated grips, which will be re-purposed for the USB connector?
2. How can I attach a fuse between the HMU-2P and the USB connector (and what is the part # of the fuse/ where can I get it)?

Appreciate your casting some light on what are probably newbie questions!
On the F model the Heated Grips/USB connector is somewhat more difficult to find, Its the same connector but under the tank and between the airbox and the frame on the right handside (looking from the back). You may need to remove the airbox to find it or you maybe lucky

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks PhuketPaul for the heads-up; sounds like a lot of work for a tiny little perk. And as a noob, these are uncharted waters. I will proceed with caution!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I really want to put a USB connector connected to via grip warmers outlet. Is it possible to run the usb through the hole that comes under the handlebars? I was thinking, since I have a ram mount directly above the 4 bolt area, if I ran usb through the circular hole that the front end swings on. Anyone know if it would be easy to route it through there? bottom to the top. Figer it would stay clean enough, just fix it there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I followed this and installed a USB port on my bike yesterday. Took about 20 minutes, no soldering required. Bout as easy as it gets! I've got a RAM mount on mine on the left side of the handlebars and I zip tied the USB port right under that. Ran the wire down alongside the wires for the blinker switch box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just put a QD usb on my battery tender, like $10 from Motorsport, and ran a cord up to the handle bars. I keep it in my bag unless I need to use it most of the time because it’s only water resistant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts