GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wondered why the water temp gauge never seems to move from it's 3 bars position? Great cooling system???
Not really, this 3rd bar position cover a temperature range of 158* to 226* (70 to 108) How useless is that?

So basically the engine temperature can be too cold or too hot but the rider has now way of knowing it..... Smart Suzuki

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ever wondered why the water temp gauge never seems to move from it's 3 bars position? Great cooling system???
Not really, this 3rd bar position cover a temperature range of 158* to 226* (70 to 108) How useless is that?

So basically the engine temperature can be too cold or too hot but the rider has now way of knowing it..... Smart Suzuki
Every manufacturer does this....
It does this because people gererally don't like gauges flying about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know why Suzuki do it but that doesn't change the fact that it is stupid. Not all manufacturers do that, my 2014 Ninja 1000/Z1000SX has a real digital gauge that show real numbers

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know why Suzuki do it but that doesn't change the fact that it is stupid. Not all manufacturers do that, my 2014 Ninja 1000/Z1000SX has a real digital gauge that show real numbers
Most then and most car manufacturers, moaning about it is just as stupid if you know why they do it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Because as long as it's in the range of the 3rd bar it's neither too hot nor is it too cold. My old bike had a digital readout and while I was at a steady speed it would be around 160-165, but when stopped in traffic it would hit 225 then the fan kicked on. Sounds to me like they made it just right.

Reactions: R1KSU

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A gauge is useful as a diagnostic tool and the readings need to be interpreted based on the bike usage and weather conditions. For example, if you are ridding at 60mph in a 40F/4.5C outside temperature and the coolant temp is 225/107 that is NOT normal and you have a problem.
On the contrary, if you are in Las Vegas, stuck in traffic in the middle of summer, the same temperature would be totally normal.
Obviously Suzuki ( as most other manufacturers) believe that the vast majority of people have no concept on how things work and therefore what is normal or not

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
That's why the gauge goes to more than 3 bars, it doesn't max out at 3 - it maxes out at 6. Once you start seeing the 4th and 5th bars light up, that's when **** hit the fan.

If you read the manual you would know this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why the gauge goes to more than 3 bars, it doesn't max out at 3 - it maxes out at 6. Once you start seeing the 4th and 5th bars light up, that's when **** hit the fan.

If you read the manual you would know this.
???????????????
You completely missed the point that i was trying to make. Namely that, depending on conditions, something could be wrong with the cooling system even when the gauge show 3 bars.
let's just drop it. going no where with this thread

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Nothing is wrong with the cooling system in any conditions if the bike is showing 3 bars as that's the normal operating temperature range for this engine. Even if your bike is running 220 degrees while you're doing 100mph and it's 110 degrees out, nothing is going to happen. Your legs might get a bit warm, though.

I don't think you understand the point you're trying to make.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm with Luc on this one. You want to detect abnormal behaviors early, not after the damage. Especially if you start tuning, etc. I have been tuning my car myself for years, blew one engine stupidly because of it, otherwise had great success power wise since, I can write a book about it! :) More info (in the right hands) is always better. But what you really want IMO is an oil temp gauge, not water temp. But no manufacturer put that from factory.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Guy's, The ECU knows the real temp does it not?
It will decrease power to maintain a safe operating temp or eventually go into limp home mode.

Give it 10 years to clog up the radiator with calcium scale as the 5th owner hasn't looked at it like you First Owners do, then the bike will have a reliability issue out in Death Valley at High Noon in July.

Rob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts