GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a rack to the bike & it was very easy, although the bolts holding the pillion pegs were locktited in & the socket head is shallow, causing the allen key to dig in, but the fit up was good & solid. I think Ventura should have made the L brackets concentric, as it is they are handed, but by extending the central bracket that fixes beneath the seat the L brackets would be identical, which make things simpler for us, & for Ventura to manufacture. I have used these racks for years & have the rack over the pillion seat, unless going away for a few days, then I reverse it & zip on the other bag which doubles the carrying capacity. They are a bit expensive but they work well & they last.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I fitted a rack to the bike & it was very easy, although the bolts holding the pillion pegs were locktited in & the socket head is shallow, causing the allen key to dig in, but the fit up was good & solid. I think Ventura should have made the L brackets concentric, as it is they are handed, but by extending the central bracket that fixes beneath the seat the L brackets would be identical, which make things simpler for us, & for Ventura to manufacture. I have used these racks for years & have the rack over the pillion seat, unless going away for a few days, then I reverse it & zip on the other bag which doubles the carrying capacity. They are a bit expensive but they work well & they last.
any pics?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think Ventura should have made the L brackets concentric, as it is they are handed, but by extending the central bracket that fixes beneath the seat the L brackets would be identical, which make things simpler for us, & for Ventura to manufacture.
I visited their factory in Hamilton NZ a few years back and found that they were really receptive to feedback. Did you get a feedback form in your kit? I know they used to put them in with some of their other products.

I've used their rack system on the last 2 bikes I've had - well made as you say. However, I didn't want to spoil the lines of my "S" with the rack this time so have Oxford throwovers which I already had. However, a friend now has the Ventura on his "F" and it doesn't look too bad at all.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm thinking if doing a bit of touring next season too.
I was wanting to use my throw over bags but I don't want them rubbing the paint work. I if picked up the Ventura system and use throw overs as well would the frame protect the plastics?

I've been known to load a bike up before now;)

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm thinking if doing a bit of touring next season too.
I was wanting to use my throw over bags but I don't want them rubbing the paint work. I if picked up the Ventura system and use throw overs as well would the frame protect the plastics?

I've been known to load a bike up before now;)
My paint is protected from the throw overs. In NZ, there is a kit available for the bike of 3M clear film either in matte finish or gloss. The pieces which cover the tail cowling completely eliminate the risk of paint damage and are virtually invisible.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Cheers Geoff!
I've seen the stuff you are on about. I know exactly what you mean:)
What about excess weight from the bags pulling down on the plastics? Do you not worry they might get stressed and crack?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nope, not at all worried about the weight as the plastic is pretty rigid by its shape and besides, most of the stuff in my bags is clothing which isn't super-heavy. Sometime in the next few hours, I'll upload a few hi-res photos to Dropbox showing how it all goes together in case it's of use. Will post a link. Got a few domestic jobs to do for my wife first - you can see the thumbprint on my forehead if you look closely, haha!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That'd be great Geoff. Much apreciated:)

And I've got a matching print, so I had better run off and cook dinner cause I know what's good for me:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Beaker,

I've taken a few photos to show the paint protection and how the Oxford 1 bags are held on the bike. The bags are a bit floppy as they're empty in the photos. I've used them once for a 500 km run and they were perfect. Throwovers help to keep the centre of gravity low which is important for an ageing shortarse like me :D. I have a rubberised yachting dry bag which I can bungee to the top of the throwovers if I need a bit more storage space.

I've converted the photos to PDF format and here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwwrk8w2aeb06dz/Oxford bags on Suzuki GSX-S 1000.pdf?dl=0 . I'll leave it there for a few days.

Cheers,

Geoff

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks Geoff
that's really good of you. I've downloaded the dropbox file for future reference.:laugh:
Here's what I did for a temporary lash up with my SP. It worked pretty well, even if it's not the prettiest mod. Also the plastics were a lot wider and less substantial.
Good old marine ply and a bit of yacht varnish:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's absolutely excellent Beaker! There's a strong yachting theme at work here for both of us :) . The lashings I used are from a reel of yacht braid from when I used to sail competitively!

Although my Oxford bags are 5 years old, I have never used them as my Street Triple had high mufflers and besides, I had a Ventura system on it. I'm impressed with the throwovers so far. I hope that the rain covers don't blow off as I haven't needed to try them yet. Might be easier to just rely on bin liners inside the bags.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry can't show any pics of Ventura racks as I have only just got used to electric lights. They certainly carry enough gear & you can set the rack facing back & fit the bag, then zip the other bag to it so as it sits on the pillion seat & you have double the capacity. I fit a thin piece of plywood inside the bottom of the bag on the pillion seat to prevent the sides sagging onto the paint work & carry the lighter stuff in there. Combine that with your credit card & the options are endless. Go well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I work about 500 metres from the Ventura factory so it was very quick to get the rack from them! Not so quick to fit, I had enormous trouble getting the existing bolts out...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suzuki put lots of loctite on the bolts, clean it all off before you refit & just oil the bolts. Tighten them to the torque, no problem.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts