GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first video howto. Ever. So I was figuring that out while I was figuring out how to remove the stock shock, and figuring out how to get the K-Tech installed. Along the way I decided to start a YouTube channel. Dunno where it's all going but one has to start somewhere.

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It takes a lot of work and effort to video something like this and it is especially difficult when parts are deep in the bike and not easily seen with the naked eye, much less a cell phone (or whatever is used for filming.) Thanks for putting forth the effort to help make a good video for people looking to replace their shocks with something better. (Wouldn't ANYTHING be better?) You've done the GSX-S community a public service. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not playing here.
Is it simply not loading or do you get a message about the video being blocked in your country? Is it the embedded video here on the forum? Did you view it on YouTube (either the website or mobile app)? Just trying to understand as I'm new to uploading content to YouTube and I may have missed something in the channel or video settings.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is it simply not loading or do you get a message about the video being blocked in your country? Is it the embedded video here on the forum? Did you view it on YouTube (either the website or mobile app)? Just trying to understand as I'm new to uploading content to YouTube and I may have missed something in the channel or video settings.
Working both here and on Youtube for me. Gave you your first like :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
3rd like from me. :)

Using your method, did you not have to unload the shock first? Wouldn't that make lining up the bolts more difficult during installation?

And is there is a reason you used a floor jack for the rear instead of a rear stand?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3rd like from me. :)

Using your method, did you not have to unload the shock first? Wouldn't that make lining up the bolts more difficult during installation?

And is there is a reason you used a floor jack for the rear instead of a rear stand?
Thank you for the like!

Great question - a point I missed in the video. I just barely unloaded the shock. Just barely. The tail came up maybe 5 centimeters. It seems like a natural position and the bolts were easy out and back in.

My rear stand wouldn't have lifted the swingarm high enough, so I opted for a floor jack. A scissor jack would work too, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Scissor jack on top of the rear tire to the underside of the tail section (I used a piece of wood under tail section) is easy to unload the shock bolt. As you’re raising the scissor jack with one hand, other hand pulling/turning on shock bolt (or a friend’s hand), you can feel when the bolt frees up once the “sweet spot” is reached.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To remove the stock shock, was the swingarm in the up/compressed position (nearer to the rear subframe) or the down/extended position? Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To remove the stock shock, was the swingarm in the up/compressed position (nearer to the rear subframe) or the down/extended position? Thanks.
To allow enough room for the shock to come out, the swingarm needed to be jacked all the way up. BUT, I removed the lower bolts with the bike just suspended there.

In other words, remove the lower bolts before you jack. Then jack it up before removing the top shock bolt. The shock practically falls out.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I concur.
I did mine with just an ABBA stand. I have an external reservoir in my new shock and if you feed that up first, lift the rear wheel and then feed the new shock up( I left mine wrapped in bubble wrap so as not to scratch it)it’s quite an easy job.
Once the shock is attached at the top, refit the triple tree and then lif the swing arm up and down to fit the final bolts. It’s a fairly simple one man job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is it necessary to unload the swingarm or is it only to provide clearance for shock removal/install?

I've done a few front end rebuilds but never replaced a rear shock.

I'm going to fit the shock after removing the exhaust for decat, servo and 02 removal, air box mods etc

Any help appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it necessary to unload the swingarm or is it only to provide clearance for shock removal/install
I lightly unloaded the swingarm - by ratcheting up the straps a bit - only to get the bottom bolts out. I'm not 100% sure it's necessary, but it's the way I've done it in the past with success each time.

Then I jacked the rear all the way up only to provide clearance for the shock. In hindsight, I'm not sure it's necessary to jack everything all the way up (I was only following instructions).

There are different techniques, so it can be confusing. The hardest part is figuring out how you will support the bike so you can disconnect the rear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts