·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this was an interesting watch..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Last week I bought a X System from Scottoiler.
I hope it will save my knees and time from now on.
I really get bored cleaning and lubing that chain every 500 km.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd only just bought an expensive cleaner/lube kit before watching the fortnine video when it released. I've vowed to switch to heavy gear oil from now on.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Been watching him for a long time, you might find his waterproof test of Gortex interesting.
Love his sense of humour but took me a while, I thought he sounded too much like a Snake Oil salesman at first.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got 50,000 kms on my chain/sprockets and it still looks good. I generally lube it every 1000 kms, and clean it with kerosene every 3rd or 4th lubing. I only adjust it when changing the rear tire. On several occasions I have gone on multi day rides lasting 2000-3000 kms and not done any lubing during the trip.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've been using gear oil since before Fred Flintstone was born. That's not to say I haven't tried spray cans but oil and kerosene is the way for me. I do keep a mini/pocket size can of Castrol chain lube to take on extended trips but only use it if it rains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Previously in the past I’ve used chain saw oil, low fling. Just wipe on or put in a little squirty bottle & cleaned the chain with paraffin every 750/1000 miles Always worked well with less mess than chain lube. Well that’s what I found anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Used a Scottoiler for years, the original vacuum style. On the Bandit my chains lasted about 15,000 to maybe 20,000 miles. Rarely adjusted, just keep the reservoir filled. I always use used engine oil in them as well.
Just put the Scottoiler eoiler on the Gixxus.
Another good YouTube channel is Project Farm. He tests chain lubes for bicycles and farm equipment.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Used a Scottoiler for years, the original vacuum style. On the Bandit my chains lasted about 15,000 to maybe 20,000 miles. Rarely adjusted, just keep the reservoir filled. I always use used engine oil in them as well.
Just put the Scottoiler eoiler on the Gixxus.
Hi Gritty,
I have bought a few weeks ago a X System from Scottoiler, just a little bit different from the one you have.
Please, can you share one or two pics with the system fitted on your bike, especially the place you have installed the oil reservoir? At the end of this season I would like to spend some time to install this system on my bike and some input and/or know-how will be great to have.
Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please, can you share one or two pics with the system fitted on your bike, especially the place you have installed the oil reservoir? ...
Thanks.
Sure. Attached.
One thing of note is that the bolt in the spool hole I installed a bolt with a nut shown in the tubing closeup. The bolt is held with loctite. I left a few thread out. The nut pinches the bracket against the swingarm to hold the tubing in place. That way, the nut can be loosened. The bracket can then be re-positioned and the nut tightened back down.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated.(y)
I was thinking to attach the oil reservoir in the same spot as you did it, or to place it under the seat.
I will have enough time to find the best option to do this job during winter time.
Regards.🍻

1 - 16 of 16 Posts