GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of this has been covered in another thread, but this might save some of the USA guys from having to call a bunch of different places like I did. I called several different vendors, but no one knew anything until I called Vortex. Based on the info trickytruckertrev and titters posted in other threads (thanks guys!), a guy at Vortex quickly figured out what the correct part number was.

The correct sprocket is the Vortex 2910-18. It is a 525 sprocket....it has the correct splines, and does require the use of the washer/spacer under the counter shaft nut. Installation took me about 1.5 hrs since I haven't done it on this bike before, now that I have done it once it will be much quicker next time.

I needed a 36mm socket for the axle nut, a 1 1/4" (27mm?) for the sprocket nut, a 10mm and 12mm wrench for the chain adjusters, and an 8mm for the counter shaft cover bolts. You must first undo the clutch cable before the cover can be removed. As expected the counter shaft nut was pretty tight, but no worse than any other bike I've worked on.

I did sneak in a quick 10 mile test ride last night, and am quite pleased with the results. I haven't ridden far/fast enough yet to determine it I want to go down a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. I intend to go on a 3500-4000 mile ride out west later this year, hence my desire reduce engine rpm at highway speeds.
I hope this helps someone in the future!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, I couldn't locate a 525 18t sprocket via online page. So how does it pull vs 17t?
I'm sure there is a minor difference, but I really can't tell in my two brief test rides.....it still pulls very hard in my opinion.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey Denver, did you notice any increase in chain noise not having the rubber dampers on the sprocket?

Is the washer/spacer something you have to purchase additionally?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Denver, did you notice any increase in chain noise not having the rubber dampers on the sprocket?

Is the washer/spacer something you have to purchase additionally?
No extra parts needed other than the 18t sprocket itself. I don't notice any more noise then before, it may acutally be a little quieter even, guessing due to the chain going around a slightly larger radius maybe? Everything was still pretty new when I did this, so it could get louder as things wear. I think its been on the bike for about 4,500-5,000 miles at this point.

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Denver, great info! Did you remove one link from the chain? Gearing Commander shows a better wear pattern with 115 links versus the stock 116 with 18 tooth front

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Denver, great info! Did you remove one link from the chain? Gearing Commander shows a better wear pattern with 115 links versus the stock 116 with 18 tooth front
I didn't do anything to the chain, but I think its long enough that you could remove a link if you wanted too.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Stock is 17 tooth so going up to an 18 you would need a longer chain if anything. Apparently there's enough room on the rear axle adjuster to compensate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see, I wouldn't bother removing the link I were reusing the chain too... but this is something to consider for someone installing a new chain. I have the Vortex sprocket, a DID gold chain and SuperSprox RST-480 43 tooth rear sprocket all waiting in my garage to be installed. Should be no problem using the 115 link chain with this combo. It's curious that the wear pattern is really bad for 117 links and 18/43

·
Registered
993 Posts
I see, I wouldn't bother removing the link I were reusing the chain too... but this is something to consider for someone installing a new chain. I have the Vortex sprocket, a DID gold chain and SuperSprox RST-480 43 tooth rear sprocket all waiting in my garage to be installed. Should be no problem using the 115 link chain with this combo. It's curious that the wear pattern is really bad for 117 links and 18/43
Oh, I misunderstood...you're talking about same tooth-chain position in so many rotations. I've never seen this discussed on any forums; I wonder just how much it actually affects chain/sprocket wear?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I misunderstood...you're talking about same tooth-chain position in so many rotations. I've never seen this discussed on any forums; I wonder just how much it actually affects chain/sprocket wear?
I wonder about too, but so far I haven't seen anything that indicated accelerated wear. I commute about 80 miles per day on the bike, and about 1/2 that is 75-80 MPH interstate. I don't beat on the bike by any means, but I do love the sound of that motor and good power wheelie, so I'm not loafing around either. I do keep the chain clean, lubed, and adjusted a little bit on the loose side.... from my experience a tight chain will toast a chain & sprockets faster than anything else.

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Registered
180 Posts
The stocker appears to have some rubber, presumably to reduce/absorb vibration, maybe even tuned specifically for this engine . I wonder if it's best to stick with this type of sprocket or does not really matter.

I am new to the bike sprocket topic, but crank pulley (on cars) are generally desired to keep their harmonic balancers. Learned that the hard way. Not quite the same topic, but I'm wondering. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This style of front sprocket is what Suzuki have been using for years.
I think it allows for a small amount of flex to accommodate a slight misalignment between the 2 sprockets.
This would make a sideways vibration, no good for the shaft bearings. The rear cush rubber covers the rear sprocket.

I've never had trouble with the thinner front sprocket as the chain remains in line as before. Suzuki also advise to replace the 36mm nut with a new one, as the combination of dry thread locker and the mechanical outer locking thread, as it's 1 use only. Sorry, Not done by me, either.
I've had that nut so @#$% tight, the motor has spun over against compression and needed some heat on it for it to come loose.

Rob.

·
Registered
993 Posts
When I changed the sprocket on the V-strom I got one with the rubber damper as I didn't want to add noise, but couldn't find an 18t for the Gixxus with the rubber. Most people who change them don't use the sprockets with rubber and report no problems or noticeable noise increase. (I have not installed mine, since as I've gotten used to the bike, I really don't mind the revs, it actually sounds pretty good, I think. Might think differently if I did a lot of slab.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
JT Sprockets offer an 18 tooth "Silent" Sprocket that will fit the GSX S but you would need to go up to a 530 chain and rear sprocket as it is designed for the GSX1400. Part No of the front 18 T 530 Sprocket is JTF513RB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts