GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , riding a gsxr 1000 at the moment , I am going to have a ride on a gsxs1000 ,in a couple of days , with a view to change bikes am i going to be disappointed with the gsxs
,have many owners come from super sports?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depends what your expectations are. Yes this is my first upright bike - coming from lots and lots sportbikes.
The bike is not a GSXR. It's another bike completely which happens to have a GSXR motor (albeit modified) from the past. Made cheaper and for a different purpose. It's typical Suzuki though simple and reliable and a bit more comfortable than a "sportsbike"
Test ride and see for yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jeffro,yep I hear ya. had a fz1n good bike but even after a few mods the old r1 engine just made the power from 7 grand then went like a scalded cat not enough in the mid always felt that i had to be in license losing speeds for the motor to be responsive and punchy. and the seat wasn't as comfy as you'd think - ie the gsxr is better lol.
In the past i built a 7/11, ( like a bandit motor in a gsxr 750 chassis with flatsides etc) trying to chase the buzz of bigger torque ,with modern handling and brakes
cheers

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I made the same change
My biggest worries were, Will it still handle and does it have enough poke.
First test ride I was disappointed with the engine. It appeared very bland. Then I turned the traction control, which was set to the "Sissy" setting, off and it felt like the bike came alive. Much Better:D
The handling was good enough. A lot will depend on your local roads. The front is fully adjustable and can be made to suit most situations but I soon found the short comings of the rear. If you have a lot of straight roads or smooth surfaces, it's not too bad but we've got a lot of twisty bumpy country roads around me and as soon as the pace gets turned up it was having trouble keeping up with the rest of the bike.
Other than that, it ticks all the boxes without having to pay the price of a Multistrada. I've thrown a lot at mine over the last two years from touring to racing and commuting and it's never missed a beat or struggles with any of it.
A great all rounder if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
well if you like a hotrod feel and we well know hotrods arnt the fastest...but there the ultimate drug for the mind...plus the extra bonus you wont want to get off the machine...looking forward to what you think....there are some good shields for the s that do a good job for high speed riding

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a hayabusa and had a SV 650. My GSX S 1000 replaced the SV. It doesn't handle as well as the SV but has no problem with the Tuonos I ride with. It's way more comfortable with way more power than the SV. My hayabusa is big heavy fast and loud. The GSX S is quiet, handles very well and most important for me, comfortable. I can ride all day in the mountains and never ache(SV) or become worn out(hayabusa) on the GSX S.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Depends what your expectations are. Yes this is my first upright bike - coming from lots and lots sportbikes.
The bike is not a GSXR. It's another bike completely which happens to have a GSXR motor (albeit modified) from the past. Made cheaper and for a different purpose. It's typical Suzuki though simple and reliable and a bit more comfortable than a "sportsbike"
Test ride and see for yourself.
I agree, and I think for the price, you can not get a better compromise for performance and every day livability. I also think for a long ride, you will find it's much better then "a bit more comfortable". I'm no iron-butt guy, but I have had no problem with 200+ mile rides, and I mean NO problem. I can only speak for the F, but on the freeway, it's rock solid stable, and I actually like the stock screen, (it works for my 5' 10" scrawny meat), and the stock seat is the best stock seat I've had.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have a hayabusa and had a SV 650. My GSX S 1000 replaced the SV. It doesn't handle as well as the SV but has no problem with the Tuonos I ride with. It's way more comfortable with way more power than the SV. My hayabusa is big heavy fast and loud. The GSX S is quiet, handles very well and most important for me, comfortable. I can ride all day in the mountains and never ache(SV) or become worn out(hayabusa) on the GSX S.
packmule..cool name...i never owned a sv650 but find it hard to believe it handle better then the S..is it the fact its a smaller bike and most bikes smaller could say the same...i dont do track but there is no way in hxll the sv will handle better at fast highway speeds or highway period ....cant see feeling safer on a sv over a S ..theres highway performance to think about also.....or quality of ride.on side roads...i just dont see it ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
packmule..cool name...i never owned a sv650 but find it hard to believe it handle better then the S..is it the fact its a smaller bike and most bikes smaller could say the same...i dont do track but there is no way in hxll the sv will handle better at fast highway speeds or highway period ....cant see feeling safer on a sv over a S ..theres highway performance to think about also.....or quality of ride.on side roads...i just dont see it ;)

Stock the SV suspension is junk, bargain basement bike. I had racetechs in the front and ZX6R shock in the rear. SV was about 80 lbs lighter than the S big difference in handling from the weight alone. I ride very tight technical roads so size is a penalty. Motards own the roads that I generally ride. There is a reason a lot of SV's are track ridden, they are fast. Corner speed is where it's at not straight line. I embarrassed a bunch of people at the track with my underpowered SV. Until you ride a properly setup SV don't judge it.:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stock the SV suspension is junk, bargain basement bike. I had racetechs in the front and ZX6R shock in the rear. SV was about 80 lbs lighter than the S big difference in handling from the weight alone. I ride very tight technical roads so size is a penalty. Motards own the roads that I generally ride. There is a reason a lot of SV's are track ridden, they are fast. Corner speed is where it's at not straight line. I embarrassed a bunch of people at the track with my underpowered SV. Until you ride a properly setup SV don't judge it.:)
Sounds like the S can be thought of as in between the SV and Hayabusa. As in better handling than the Hayabusa and more power than the SV. Well where ever it is, I can say that I love my GSXS100F. And it has Suzuki reliability and reasonable cost of ownership to boot, and I personally like that its not loud.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Exactly, I love the bike now that I have the suspension set up properly. Hayabusa is comfortable with helibars but heavy to wrestle around all day. SV was light and very controllable but uncomfortable on long rides. GSX S best of both worlds. I hope to get to the track and see what she'll do this spring.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah I can definitely relate to your possible change. I switched from a 07 Gixxer 1000 that I bought new and had for over 9 years(still miss from time to time). The GSXS-1000 is gonna be alot better bike for all around day to day riding and alot more comfortable. It's not gonna be the all out performance bike as your Gixxer(but not far at all behind). I loved the GSXS-1000's upright riding position and styling from the get go and thought the suspension was pretty good! I did struggle with the power difference between the GSXS-1000 and my Gixxer 1000. The GSXS-1000 is a fast bike stock no doubt but when you come from a modified Gixxer 1000 it was very noticeable difference between the 2. Having said that I really like the GSXS-1000 and if I hadn't bought it I might have stopped riding. I think the GSXS-1000 is alot more flickable but not as stable at high speeds as my Gixxer. The upright seating position gives you a feeling of caring more speed than the tucked position on my Gixxer and seems to ME to make riding at a slower pace more fun where I would want to be carrying more speed on my Gixxer. I did set out on a mission to taylor it to my style. I got the brakes alot better with just a couple of changes. Did the usual bolt ons and got the power alot closer to what I was use to with the help of a dyno tune. I think you will enjoy the more comfortable ride and ride more often with the GSXS-1000. You can always modify it if you want more power because you can definitely gain get more out of this bike but you might be just fine with it stock. In the curves I'd rather have my GSXS-1000 in the really tight stuff but it's not gonna be as good on the high speed curves as the Gixxer but it's not gonna be too far off! The GSXS-1000 is just a fun bike! Hope this helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts