GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thank you Admin Team for what is a really big job to do. I was on a small UK Group that had numerous weekly meltdowns of their Server in carrying it out. So well done.
My first reaction is it must have been designed for a mobile phone over a desktop screen. Why do I say this ?

I use a 32 inch desktop 2K monitor, an there is so much wasted real estate on the sides of the screen, yet the font is only just large enough. So I have an experience where I am squinting from the constant bright light from the screen, and the blue light would be a problem if I don't use dark mode. I am not happy with this aspect.

Speaking of the font, the modern trend in to make it more grey than jet black. Could I suggest that you need more black as your audience here is older, and older people prefer a blacker font.

The background colour chosen is not what I would choose, as it's too light, BUT the dark mode is too high contrast for my tastes.
The main Forum page has fonts of the right thickness, but the following panes the the font thickness is too thick.

Looks like the Members posted images are still a work in progress. I suspect are available via clicking on the 3 dor hamburger icon/Galley/Your Media
Mine has nothing.

To be honest, I perfer the 'old' GSX-S Forum look, based on the visual experience of a softer background and more condensed page of information to take in optically.

Cheers,
Rob.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not feeling the love for it at the moment :(

I can happily deal with different looks etc. but the one thing I really use is the "go to next unread" option. I found how to go to the latest post by clicking on the date in the thread list but that then means I have to scroll back and figure out which was the last post I read. I am on othe forums running XenForo and the option is available there.

Apart from that I would just have a smaller banner image for mobile devices as it takes up about 25% of the screen on my Note9.

Sorry if this sounds like a moan and is unappreciative of all the hard work you do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How I navigate is I use the New button, top right to list all my unread posts, then hit jump to latest on the thread I've selected. Then hit New again to get back to the list. If you select the filter list and uncheck show unread discussions then tick set as default all your previously read threads will be there.

Reactions: Barstewardsquad

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wanted to edit my post above to say the appearance is a lot more acceptable on the 15" laptop.
However I was denied permission to edit the 1 day old above post because:
The pop up " Denied, you may not edit more than 10 posts in a 7 day period".
This may or may not be true, by who's counting, these edits as it's probably a glitch in the changeover. Funny though, I was able to edit THIS post.
This 10 quota will have to go Admin.

Rob

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I can happily deal with different looks etc. but the one thing I really use is the "go to next unread" option. I found how to go to the latest post by clicking on the date in the thread list but that then means I have to scroll back and figure out which was the last post I read. I am on othe forums running XenForo and the option is available there.
I have the same problem. I'm using the "New" button and filtering by "Unread posts" but from there I only seem to be able to go to the last post and not the first unread post in that thread.
Am I missing something?

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same problem. I'm using the "New" button and filtering by "Unread posts" but from there I only seem to be able to go to the last post and not the first unread post in that thread.
Am I missing something?
It may take a bit for the new platform to learn what you have and haven't read yet.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How do I get to see all of my uploaded content? So far I've only managed to find some of my photos.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do I get to see all of my uploaded content? So far I've only managed to find some of my photos.
There isn't a special link to find all of the images you have uploaded (unless you uploaded to the gallery or showcase) but they would still be in the related posts.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updated FAQs

Take a moment to review our updated FAQs for additional help!

Click on the 3 dots near the upper right corner of the site. Select FAQ

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I noticed that when a Member posts up a picture, and say there are other picture attachments on the same page, then that picture via the Members post, also picks up those other picture attachments to scroll through. So it's scanning the page for attachments, rather than the post.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Windows 10 using Firefox. It is locked at the top and "goes away". Not a biggie - but annoying. Otherwise like the new platform a lot.
Now it is gonna drive me crazy wondering why it does that for you. I use Chrome but I will do some testing in Firefox.

Are you blocking anyscripts or cookies?

- Cricket

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey Cricket,
I'm using DARK MODE and I'm really liking the new format! So much faster and less 'glitchy' than before. Looks very good. I appreciate all your time, work, and responsiveness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts