GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another question for you guys, If I decide to go with the faired bike I wanted to drop some weight on her somewhere around 10 lbs. would be nice. I wanted to find out if by dropping the stock mirrors, the fender, the passenger pegs and a slip-on how much weight would that drop? I would of course replace them with a tail tid and bar end mirrors. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
974 Posts
The biggest weight saving and not to mention the performance gains would be to get rid of the cat,valve and muffler box and getting a decent slip on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Going for a full exhaust system will drop the most weight.

If you're feeling really flush, grab a set of carbon fibre wheels.

Change to a Lithium-based battery. I like the EarthX range.

Get rid of the passenger pegs. I'll double check, but I think they only weigh around 1kg.

Remove the toolkit.

Tail tidy and new rear light with integrated indicators so you can lose the rear ones.

Change your mirrors and if you don't fancy going for bar end mirrors, these look like they'll shave a lb or two: Moto Works | Magical Racing Parts

Removing the front reflectors on the fender and putting normal bolts in saves a few grams.

Changing to an aluminium or lightweight steel sprockets and a new chain will save some critical rotational mass

As will changing to lighter brake discs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not going for ABS saves a couple of kg as well.

I'm sure the naked is lighter without all that fairing too! :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not going for ABS saves a couple of kg as well.

I'm sure the naked is lighter without all that fairing too! :D

The naked is lighter but as they dyno all bikes before they leave the factory they put fairings on the ones greater than 145hp, greater than 120hp they rework to get to 145 and anything less than 120 isn't worth the rework they just turn into a naked, anything that's less than 110hp gets the black and red colours also :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cheeky git! :D

My blue naked would totally beat your blue fairy

The naked is lighter but as they dyno all bikes before they leave the factory they put fairings on the ones greater than 145hp, greater than 120hp they rework to get to 145 and anything less than 120 isn't worth the rework they just turn into a naked, anything that's less than 110hp gets the black and red colours also :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Cheeky git! :D

My blue naked would totally beat your blue fairy

It doesn't help when I'm a crap rider too :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ain't Rossi either!

Maybe if I add "...On a closed course, with professional riders under adult supervision"

It doesn't help when I'm a crap rider too :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never owned a faired bike, should i take into consideration the cost of replacing or repairing the fairings, are they pretty expensive to replace or fix?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Never owned a faired bike, should i take into consideration the cost of replacing or repairing the fairings, are they pretty expensive to replace or fix?

Why, you don't take into consideration a new engine

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fairings don't wear out, they last forever. Unless you crash.

They are time consuming to remove with all those annoying clips, I almost regret getting the faired version just for that reason.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know fairings are durable, just wanted to know roughly how expensive they are to replace or fix. Don't want to have to report to the Ins. company if something happened.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Going for a full exhaust system will drop the most weight.

If you're feeling really flush, grab a set of carbon fibre wheels.

Change to a Lithium-based battery. I like the EarthX range.

Get rid of the passenger pegs. I'll double check, but I think they only weigh around 1kg.

Remove the toolkit.

Tail tidy and new rear light with integrated indicators so you can lose the rear ones.

Change your mirrors and if you don't fancy going for bar end mirrors, these look like they'll shave a lb or two: Moto Works | Magical Racing Parts

Removing the front reflectors on the fender and putting normal bolts in saves a few grams.

Changing to an aluminium or lightweight steel sprockets and a new chain will save some critical rotational mass

As will changing to lighter brake discs.
Which battery gsx1000f takes?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why, you don't take into consideration a new engine

It's actually not a bad idea to take the price of getting some chinese replica fairings (if they are available) on a faired bike.

This way you can colour them as you please, and keep the factory fairings in 100% condition as you don't use them only the chinese fairings. :p

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's actually not a bad idea to take the price of getting some chinese replica fairings (if they are available) on a faired bike.

This way you can colour them as you please, and keep the factory fairings in 100% condition as you don't use them only the chinese fairings. :p
I've never seen any Chinese fairings for our bikes, would be nice though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts

It will be interesting to see if they make them, when I had my GSX750f I discovered them just after I sold it, some of them looked good with different graphics although I wouldn't change this bike as it looks good already.
The naked owners could upgrade their bike at a lower cost and be as cool as us fairing owners :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts