GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This should be an intro post in which I say how I got an awesome deal on a new '19 GSX-S1000 in beautiful white, but it's not. The deal was there... $11,099 out the door (including 8.5% tax, title, dealer fees, everything) - but I just couldn't pull the trigger. The wife is a bit hesitant to give her approval on the deal.

For a little background, as my username implies, I was raised on Harleys, learned to ride on a '91 softail at about 13 (my dad's). I didn't get my own first bike until about 25 though - a 2000 wide glide, which I eventually traded in for an '07 Softail, which I still own.

I'm 40 now and have three children, that are 1 1/2, 4, & 6 years old, so I can understand her concerns, but it really killed me to walk away from this deal. I'm still considering going back tomorrow and finalizing it. We'll see.

I had a couple of my own "concerns" though. I had read the transmission was geared with really close ratios, but this seemed very prevalent on my test ride today. Maybe it's my experience with only H-Ds but for the first several shifts I wasn't even sure I had actually up shifted, as the engine speed barely drops. Also, it seemed like it was really wailing at 85-90 mph on the freeway, like I kept thinking I should have an additional gear change available to bring the "cruising" engine speed down a tad. Yes, I know, I shouldn't be "cruising" at this speed, but I live in southern California, where people typically move pretty fast on the freeways. Even my 6-speed softail is pretty comfortable at this speed, though little harder to stay into the wind due to the ape hangers. Maybe this is partially due to me wanting to keep the GSX under 7k RPM since it's still in the break-in period.

Do you all think final drive ratio changes would address these gearing concerns at all, even if only slightly?

What do you all think of this out the door price which is basically right at MSRP, with the current Suzuki rebate essentially covering tax and title for me?

Hopefully soon I can do a proper intro post, with pics of the new beast parked in the garage, next to the old Softail dinosaur.

Registered
It's an engine that loves revs. It'll cruise at 6 or 7k all day so don't be disauded. It's a **** of allot of bike for very little money. Also has heaps of low end so a cheap gearing change wouldn't hurt it.

After riding Harleys you might get a huge shock. It goes, turns and stops. Crazy stuff 馃槢

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha. You might be surprised how well an HD can move when you want to, and it's setup right. Race tech fork kit and upgraded rear shocks help a lot. To be fair though, it does feel a bit "sluggish" in comparison to this machine.

Registered
You don't sound like a good fit for this bike. Will likely wonder why you bought it.
What DOES attract you to it?

And how would you get any time to ride with all those kids? :)

A good way to handle these types of problems is to make yourself wait for two months,
which will be the dead of winter and an even better time to buy--and see if you still want
it that badly.

I have had bikes that were more fun. You are not missing out.

I hope this helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wanting something much sportier and more modern, but still fairly upright and comfortable. And no, I don't clock that many miles per year, but the ones I do are very meaningful to me. It's one of my only escapes from the madness that is home life. What draws me to this type of bike is that they're an absolute BLAST to ride and this one costs less than half what I dropped on my last bike 12 years ago. Need there be more? I don't know.

I very much appreciate the input though, Verbatim. You may very well be right, though winter in So Cal isn't really much of a deterrence.

Do you think the Suzuki rebates will go away after the new year or just get re-extended?

Registered
I'm wanting something much sportier..
Just do it. The bike can do high 80s in first gear. Having the close ratio and top end is just part of the greatness of the engine. There is a leaning curve, especially from an HD.
I guarantee, that if you want something sportier, quicker, more nimble, more fun, and more versatile, it will check all of the boxes.

;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I think you're right about the learning curve. I think part of it is me just being used to 5-6k RPM approaching redline. A bit of personal reprogramming needed there.

Registered
I'm wanting something much sportier and more modern, but still fairly upright and comfortable. And no, I don't clock that many miles per year, but the ones I do are very meaningful to me. It's one of my only escapes from the madness that is home life. What draws me to this type of bike is that they're an absolute BLAST to ride and this one costs less than half what I dropped on my last bike 12 years ago. Need there be more? I don't know.

I very much appreciate the input though, Verbatim. You may very well be right, though winter in So Cal isn't really much of a deterrence.

Do you think the Suzuki rebates will go away after the new year or just get re-extended?
Not sure about your rebate situation but deals come and go, it's a great price either way.
You guys and gals get a great deal in the USA. In Australia I paid 15,500 ride away for a brand new 2018 in January this year.
I've also spent close to 6k in mods, it's a bike worth having. Don't listen to the naysayers.
They are too cheap to afford the bike they really want or haven't spent the time to get the gsx-s sorted.
Good luck either way ;)

Registered
Dude, walk away from that deal and look on cycle trader. Find yourself a leftover bike and save thousands off of that price. These bikes don't sell well so you can find leftovers heavily discounted. I see some 2018's right now for $7k. I got mine a while back as a leftover for $9k OTD and that wasn't even the best deal many have gotten. No way I'd pay $11,100 for these bikes with the deals out there.

Registered
Not sure about your rebate situation but deals come and go, it's a great price either way.

You guys and gals get a great deal in the USA. In Australia I paid 15,500 ride away for a brand new 2018 in January this year.

I've also spent close to 6k in mods, it's a bike worth having. Don't listen to the naysayers.

They are too cheap to afford the bike they really want or haven't spent the time to get the gsx-s sorted.

Good luck either way ;)

Don鈥檛 fear - that $11k USD deal is $16,350 in Australia so us Aussies get the better deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Can they be found cheaper? Yes. I'm not sure about CA, but you should be able to find them for around $10k or less for leftovers. But if you like it, buy it. I could've paid around $8k but had to pass it up due to other obligations. A year and a half later, I bought mine for $2k more. The only time I think about it is when people ask what I paid for it. The rest of the time, I'm just enjoying it. Just glad to be back on 2 wheels.

As for the gearing, V-twin vs inline 4 so it's meant to be revvy. Wait until you pin it past 7k. Holy shi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
The point is, don't feel like you walked away from a great deal and have that regret like you won't find that kind of deal later. You can and will find better deals, so walking away from that one should provide no regret, it might have been a good thing in the long run. But yea, get the bike.

:D

Registered
Thanks! I think you're right about the learning curve. I think part of it is me just being used to 5-6k RPM approaching redline. A bit of personal reprogramming needed there.
Yep, Thats all it is...! Typical predicament of anyone moving from long stroke motor into a short one.
Now pick one up and rev the [email protected] out of it. The motor will thank ya..

Registered
Welcome ROHD's,
How many bike's will be in the Garage then ? You can only ride 1 at a time as you know. I've bought multiple bikes simultaneously, but always found one bike was the preferred one, and the other just had to be ridden for the sake of it.
Sounds like your pressed for time with a young Family, and you'll be shelling out money every payday for a depreciating asset.

I presume you are looking at the Naked, or is it an F ?
I find with my Naked, that I would never be comfortable riding at those Freeway speeds that you quoted. A stock F would be pressed as well with the stock screen.

The Naked is a very much a point and squirt sort of bike, brake and squirt again, a race replica with bars, hence the close gearbox ratio's. (Any canyon's in Calif ?)

That's what I use mine for, it's not a Suzuki Bandit or a Hayabusa.
They may be what your after if I could suggest them to you, especially the 'Busa if you want to tour on a sportsbike or the Bandit 1250 if you want the bars and a very upright ride.Both have greater wind protection over the GSX-S.

Rob.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
THANK YOU, ALL, for all your input. It really has helped make me feel better about the situation. I know this is silly to say, but one of the reasons I was focusing on this particular bike is the excellent forum community here. It definitely makes things easier.

For anyone wondering, I did not go back today to make the deal. I actually woke up feeling horrible and spent the entire day in bed with a barf bucket (sorry if TMI), due to what seems to be a nasty bout of food poisoning from the little taco shop I went and ate lunch at after I walked on the deal. I'm not sure if that is some sort of sign, or if it is, what kind of sign, but I will certainly be holding off for a while now anyway.

Registered
Welcome ROHD's,
I find with my Naked, that I would never be comfortable riding at those Freeway speeds that you quoted. A stock F would be pressed as well with the stock screen.
I thought the same for my naked when I first got it. Especially switching back and forth with the FJR and it's fairing and giant windscreen. In fact, I most enjoy the GSX-S off the highway. However, it only took a few commutes to work before I was comfortable with those speeds with the naked. Maybe, just maybe, even a little faster on the Texpress lanes in the morning. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome ROHD's,
How many bike's will be in the Garage then ? You can only ride 1 at a time as you know. I've bought multiple bikes simultaneously, but always found one bike was the preferred one, and the other just had to be ridden for the sake of it.
Sounds like your pressed for time with a young Family, and you'll be shelling out money every payday for a depreciating asset.

I presume you are looking at the Naked, or is it an F ?

The Naked is a very much a point and squirt sort of bike, brake and squirt again, a race replica with bars, hence the close gearbox ratio's. (Any canyon's in Calif ?)

That's what I use mine for, it's not a Suzuki Bandit or a Hayabusa.
They may be what your after if I could suggest them to you, especially the 'Busa if you want to tour on a sportsbike or the Bandit 1250 if you want the bars and a very upright ride.Both have greater wind protection over the GSX-S.

Rob.
Just saw your response, Slower. It would be bike #2 , at least for now. And I suspect the old HD would not get much play time at that point. Due to the family situation I will not be doing much touring in the next decade. My bikes are more for short blasts around town, and probably some canyon time for the suzi, of which there are plenty around these parts.

I was looking at the naked. I've never ridden a bike with a fairing or windscreen, and my bikes have always run ape hangers on top of that, so I am pretty accustomed to the wind blast. This bike actually felt much easier to keep into the wind on due to the leaned forward seating position and lower bars.

Registered
Like Slower said鈥.something like a Bandit 1250, or similar, is more of what you would want. This one is based on racer....the GSX-R1000.....it may not be so radical, softened for the streets, but it shows the DNA....and it is not exactly user friendly....

Registered
ROHD, I geared my F model taller by going one tooth bigger on the front sprocket and one tooth smaller in the rear (an added benefit of that combo is that I didn't need to re-adjust the chain tensioners afterwards). I also swapped for a 190/55 tire on the rear. Overall gearing is now much more highway-friendly. Also, highway fuel economy has improved about 10%. First gear is now admittedly rather tall, but that's only a bit of an issue in stop-and-go traffic, which I hardly ever encounter. Btw, my F model will do 85-90 mph for extended periods quite comfortably, wind blast is not the problem at those speeds that it would be on a naked.
As far as whether the S1000 is right for you, it just does so many things very well - it's a natural choice for sport-oriented riding or just easy putting around town, or even commuting - I commute on mine (it's an awesome commuter) and then just ride like a slowpoke on weekend day-rides (I'm too old to be ripping around like an idiot on a 150 horse machine).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts