GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Common complaints (and I agree) is that we would like to bike to rev less at typical daily freeway speeds. Our USA freeways are averaging 75-80 mph these days. I wanted to calm the bike down at those speeds. My GSXS with stock gearing, goes 72mph and 5000rpm. 80mph at 5500rpm.

Going from the stock 44 tooth rear down to a 43 tooth Renthal the numbers are: 74mph at 5000rpm, 82mph at 5500rpm. Not much of a change. Not as much as I had hoped for.
But the bike is smoother at these speeds now so it does make a difference without sacrificing bottom end torque.

If I were to do it again I would go down to a 42 tooth. I might go up one tooth on the front if I can even do this without breaking the new chain. (Gold EK 525....lasts a very long time and looks killer)

·
Registered
116 Posts
For sure I will put a 42 tooth because stock gear is a little bit short and for the great mid-range power don't need it.
also for the long range tour I think is bettet than 44.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was taken after the first ride to work...still flinging the white grease everywhere (yeah, I removed the chain splash guard). I'll re-clean the chain links and keep cleaning until the flinging stops.
I do wish the Renthal was black (not a shade of gold) against the gold chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you guys see my attached pic? It uploaded but seemed to disappear when I posted

·
Registered
124 Posts
18t front and 42 rear. still moves ok but has taken the screamers from it. also can get 65mpg (English gallon) out of it. The engine pulls very well from about 1500 rpm in top gear but I think I may be overdoing it a little. 80mph is now at an indicated 5000rpm approx.

·
Registered
124 Posts
jt sprocket intended for Kawazaki z1000 not sure of year? Has a step on it which replaces the washer under the sprocket nut fitted with standard sprocket. I.E you will not require the washer with this sprocket. Think I got it from busters or m& p?

·
Registered
647 Posts
This was taken after the first ride to work...still flinging the white grease everywhere (yeah, I removed the chain splash guard). I'll re-clean the chain links and keep cleaning until the flinging stops.
I do wish the Renthal was black (not a shade of gold) against the gold chain.
Cheers, that pic has helped me choose.

Which talon sprocket are you looking at?
Was going to do a 530 conversion but I'm going with Supersprox now and keeping 525. Talon Sprockets for Suzuki Motorcycles

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,i've been looking on line for a 42 tooth rear sprocket and frustrating have not been able to find one.Reading this forum though they seem to be out there.can anyone who has bought one recommend a site

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there much clutch slipping to move off with this higher gearing and how far out do you reccon your speedo is? or have you fitted a speedo healer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
18t front with std 44tooth rear is about same as going down to 42t on rear. that is assuming you keep the std 17t front with 42t rear.
I considered putting mine back to 17t front and 42t rear but have found I like my 18t front and 42 rear combination as it gives the bike long legs on the open highway.
Don't fnd I slip the clutch any more so than with std gearing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
18t front with std 44tooth rear is about same as going down to 42t on rear. that is assuming you keep the std 17t front with 42t rear.
I considered putting mine back to 17t front and 42t rear but have found I like my 18t front and 42 rear combination as it gives the bike long legs on the open highway.
Don't fnd I slip the clutch any more so than with std gearing.
Where did you source the 42t rear from, its something I have been looking to do to my bike to relax it a bit on longer rides?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts