GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just collected my bike after it having its first(1000km) service. Was charged $260 for the privilege. On looking at the service details i noticed that on changing the oil, they have put in Motul 3000 20w -50 (mineral) ($36.14) does anyone know if this is correct? Firstly in the service book Suzuki recommend sae 10w-40, if that is not available they have a graph with various oils 20w-50 being one of them. Also with my fireblade semi synthetic was always put in, although it was more expensive. Should semi synthetic have been used? My bike was purchased and serviced by one of the biggest motorcycle dealers in Sydney.if anyone has any thoughts on this, it Would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The manual says 10W40. 20W50 is Ok if you drive where the temps are higher. I use 10W50 in most of my bikes. At the 1000km service they put in MOTUL 7100 10W40

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They put Motul 7100 10W40 Full Synth. in mine. $99 for 4L.
How much did you pay for your service in total. Did you pay extra for the fully synth?

·
Registered
109 Posts
They asked me if I wanted the Motul Full synth and I said **** yeah. They put in the 7100 and he even came out with the remainder in the 4L container and asked if I wanted to take it. I paid $340. Faired bike is more than a naked.

They took $500 off the remaining balance I had to pay the day I picked it up so to me its a free service.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my ex gsxr 1000 k7 I used Motul 7100 10w40 and it's goes great.
On the GSX-S at 1000 km service (according to the dealer/service) I will put Bardhal XT-S 10w40.

In the past, with Bardhal, no problem at all, also on my last KTM 1190 ADV for 20k km :cool:
Great shift, and no oil consumption, less engine noise.
On ebay 56 euro every 4 liters, but I think about 18 at the dealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just collected my bike after it having its first(1000km) service. Was charged $260 for the privilege. On looking at the service details i noticed that on changing the oil, they have put in Motul 3000 20w -50 (mineral) ($36.14) does anyone know if this is correct? Firstly in the service book Suzuki recommend sae 10w-40, if that is not available they have a graph with various oils 20w-50 being one of them. Also with my fireblade semi synthetic was always put in, although it was more expensive. Should semi synthetic have been used? My bike was purchased and serviced by one of the biggest motorcycle dealers in Sydney.if anyone has any thoughts on this, it Would be appreciated.
What do you get serviced on your bike at first service besides an oil change?

·
Registered
726 Posts
As I understand it you get a oil and filter change and a nut and bolt check over... My dealer wants to charge me £150 for the privilege, I don't think so...!! .... sooner do it myself and keep the bills instead of a stamp in the service book ...>:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oil and filter change,they are meant to give it a check over to see nothing has come loose or needs adjustment. $ 260.00.:mad: They also didn't stamp service book until asked to,left oily finger marks on seat cowl and clutch lever, left oil dripping down from filler cap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dealer quoted me $250 for my first service, using Motul 3100. I've used it in the past, in my 2008 GSXR750 and the bike didn't seem to agree with it. So I got them to up spec the oil, and they put Motul 300V in it for me, its $130 for 4L, but they only charged me $300 for the service and gave me the remaining oil in the bottle.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I came away from my first service with this nice gash on the tank cover. Real nice. I'm getting my new one on tomorrow or the next day.

Other than that they did a good job. Besides changing the oil with Amsoil at my request, (they were going to use Yamalube conventional oil), they did a chain adjustment, cleaning and lube. Checked torque on critical fasteners, oil analysis, inspected hoses and things. Just gave it a good once over. I could see the tech working on it from where I was and he seemed to be taking his time. It would have been nice for him to fess up to the scratch though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would take the bike back to the dealer and demand a replacement tank cover. This is why I do my own oil changes and use duct tape to protect this area of paint. I did my first service for $50 and no scratches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Semi sythetic at 1st services full sythetic after 6000kms or second service.

Is what i have been advised in the past

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help

My bike has only done 1300 miles 700 since my first service and has used 450ml of oil can anyone shed light on this

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been using full synthetic Amsoil in all my bikes for years. I put "Amsoil 10W-40 Metric" in my GSX S1000 at 600 miles. Note that Amsoil differentiates between oil for V-Twins vrs oil for the typical metric bike. Based on what I've read over the years, Amsoil is the most popular motorcycle oil in the US. That being said, any quality oil brand, (synthetic or synthetic blend) is probably fine as long as it meets the API and or JASO classification indicated in the owners manual. Also, as stated in the owners manual, it is critical to avoid oil labeled as "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" primarily because it contains lubricating additives that are bad for wet clutches.

·
Registered
285 Posts
oils aint oils ....

Perth $220 they used Motul Mineral,$41, I have no problem with that .I used mineral oil only for 12 years with no problems in my last suzuki. However i changed it myself every 3000k and not the recommended 6000k interval.That bike SVS1000, and the GSXS don't rev to a billion RPM, all the mechanics I have spoken to say good mineral is fine. If you have a 13 or 14 or 15000rpm redline and are hitting it all day everyday hey fully synthetic is probably the way to go.I don't have much time available for street riding , but I do 600-700k's a month at the track, for a lot of high rev work. Will be switching to fully synthetic at 3000k, will still change it every 3000k's .Why ? because I nearly always keep my bikes for 10 years +

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perth $220 they used Motul Mineral,$41, I have no problem with that .I used mineral oil only for 12 years with no problems in my last suzuki. However i changed it myself every 3000k and not the recommended 6000k interval.That bike SVS1000, and the GSXS don't rev to a billion RPM, all the mechanics I have spoken to say good mineral is fine. If you have a 13 or 14 or 15000rpm redline and are hitting it all day everyday hey fully synthetic is probably the way to go.I don't have much time available for street riding , but I do 600-700k's a month at the track, for a lot of high rev work. Will be switching to fully synthetic at 3000k, will still change it every 3000k's .Why ? because I nearly always keep my bikes for 10 years +
I too dump the oil after 3000kms in between services and have since dumped the oil that was put in on the service. Changed it for 10w-40 semi synthetic, the bike is far quieter on start up and seems smoother through the gears. I am a weekend rider (now) but have done this on my last few bikes

1 - 20 of 94 Posts