GSXS 1000 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's what i've been putting into mine and it runs fine. Although i'll probably put 95 in it for a month to compare.

I'm very interested to read your thoughts and I noticed the difference straight away

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Don't forget, you guys use AKI for fuel octane ratings and we use RON.

Your 93 is our 98 here... your 91 is our 95, and your 87 is our 91.... ROUGHLY speaking
Yup, I'm aware. That's why I wrote octane. 91 RON and 91 octane are different. Luckily, I have no issues with 93 octane. I've only seen a few stations around with 91 octane - so 93 octane is more widely available. Otherwise I'd use the lower grade. :(

How mind-blowing would it be if the throttle snatch was the product of a using a higher rated fuel than necessary!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I found when i was originally on 95 after the tune, it did run rougher than it is now. I'll give it one last go just incase it was something else.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I found when i was originally on 95 after the tune, it did run rougher than it is now. I'll give it one last go just incase it was something else.
If it's tuned for a higher octane, definitely don't use a lower one unless you want to get that new 1200cc piston kit real soon, lol.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yup, I'm aware. That's why I wrote octane. 91 RON and 91 octane are different.
You are referring to AKI (anti knock index) which is not synonymous with octane. It's just an everage between the RON and MON ratings. Octane by itself is somewhat ambiguous because it depends how you test it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it's tuned for a higher octane, definitely don't use a lower one unless you want to get that new 1200cc piston kit real soon, lol.
When i put the bike in for a dyno tune, it had 95 in it. ;)

As much as i would LOVE a 1200cc kit..... i'm not that crazy, i barely make use of the 1000cc that we already have! :p

·
Registered
974 Posts
When i put the bike in for a dyno tune, it had 95 in it. ;)

As much as i would LOVE a 1200cc kit..... i'm not that crazy, i barely make use of the 1000cc that we already have! :p

I wouldn't use the power either but man I would love to have it :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Because the bikes run rich without the O2 sensor to the point it will carbon up the head, I wouldn't be surprised if the bikes run smoothest on E10 ethanol as it requires more fuel to achieve the same afr. 98 will foul and carbon up more than 95 if not run hot enough.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fuels with 100 rating is for poorly tuned and built on the cheap turbo engines or aviation use.
You will lose power and if it is oxygenated you will have to check the afr's.
Use 95 if the bike is standard.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Guy's,
I was working in an Oil Refinery for a few days, and the goss that I got from the Boys there was the Refinery makes the petrol to Australian 98 RON, and their Customers, the Retail Distributors then shandy the petrol with 'other things' to lower the RON to 95, 91 or whatever.

They also said the there is no legal requirement that the RON of the petrol sold actually IS that grade, ONLY that it can't be LOWER than the advertised grade.
So you could go to a Servo and find all 3 grades were 98, but coloured differently and pay different prices for the same stuff.

Below is a C & P from Caltex Australia (For the US Members, it was part owned by Chevron, originally California & Texas Oil Co)

"Caltex Vortex Premium 98 is recommended for use in spark ignition engines designed to use unleaded petrol of 98 or lower RON.

Caltex Vortex Premium 95 is recommended for use in spark ignition engines designed to use unleaded petrol of 95 or lower RON.

Caltex Unleaded Petrol is designed for spark ignition engines and blended to meet the requirements of automotive engines fitted with catalytic converters designed to run on unleaded petrol. It has a minimum Research Octane Number (RON) of 91.

Their site had this disclaimer:

NMA (N-Methylaniline)
Recently we have become aware of a chemical known as NMA (N-Methylaniline) in fuel supplied in the Mackay region. NMA is an organic compound commonly used as a solvent or as an additive for dyes, fertiliser and organic products. However, it appears that NMA is being used in the Mackay region of Queensland because of its ability to serve as an octane booster for transport fuels.

We have never blended NMA into any fuel sold from our terminals or refineries and will not compromise on this commitment, nor do we buy fuel that contains NMA.

Through our Australian Institute of Petroleum (AIP) membership, we are actively advocating for the Australian Government to make the necessary enquiries to ensure that Australians are not negatively affected by the use of potentially harmful additives in fuels."

Backyard tanker transporters here have also been known to mix Toluene to the petrol to cheapen it. It's a cheap paint solvent, I believe.
It stuffs your motor with white deposits in the carbies and throttle body injectors, where as the NMA destroys all the seals.
There is no Australian Standard for the composition of Petrol in Australia - go figure.

Rob.

·
Registered
330 Posts
102 or 98

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Funny you should say that. i'm getting 230km till last bar/fuel bar flashes on 98.

95 it's getting 190km till last bar/fuel bar flashes.

The price difference is like $3 at the pump. I've wasted more money typing out this message @ my going rate for work! ;)
I've being running 95 for the last 2 tank fill's in place of 98, and yes it does feel that little bit better on 95 Octane, but you really don't know what the octane level is as they could cheat us, as the man in the street has to take their word for it.

A new servo opened near me, so I filled the diesel car with it as they had a special price. It was sh*t fuel, the engine rattled like **** on acceleration, perhaps petrol tainted.
Next tank came from the regular Mobil, was back to normal smooth operation again.
The VFR1200F on their cheap 95 ran with no difference to the 7/11 servo 98 stuff.
(EDIT:Honda Owners Manual said to use 98 and only 95 if unavailable)

Anyway, the GSXS on 95 started winking low fuel at 280 KM and when refilled, it said the range was 290 km.
The reserve indicated distance said 80, in 5 km it was showing 50, so I wouldn't like to rely on it down to the last drop, if it's like the speed the main tank level drops so fast below the half way indication.

So M0neg3 you ride a lot harder than the Old Man me - take a bow, Son.

Rob.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Generally 95, and then every now and then (5th tank or so) I'll put some premium in it. Nothing to do with higher 98 octane rating or more power, but purely to burn cleaner and give the engine a little "mini-flush" so to speak.

I've got competition engines that I rebuild and I *always* run that on pump-bought premium (98). It's nothing to do with power, per se, but for it to burn cleaner and leave less crap on the inside. That, I'll swear by and no-one will convince me otherwise. But totally agree - anyone throwing 98 or 102 into a road bike/car with every fill and expecting more power... well... if it makes you sleep better, you go for it.... :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just for clarification, an excerpt from the owner's manual.

FUEL, ENGINE OIL AND
COOLANT
RECOMMENDATIONS
FUEL OCTANE RATING

Use premium unleaded gasoline with
an octane rating of 95 or higher
(Research method). Unleaded gasoline
can extend spark plug life and
exhaust components life.
(Canada)
Your motorcycle requires premium
unleaded gasoline whenever possible,
with a minimum pump octane rating
of 90 ((R+M)/2 method). In some
areas, the only fuels that are available
are oxygenated fuels.
NOTE:
• The GSX-S1000/A/F/FA engine is
designed to use premium
unleaded gasoline only. Use premium
unleaded gasoline under all
riding conditions.
• If the engine develops some trouble
like lack of acceleration or
insufficient power, the cause may
be due to the fuel the motorcycle
uses. In such case, try changing
the gas station to another. If the
situation is not improved by
changing, consult your Suzuki
dealer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've being running 95 for the last 2 tank fill's in place of 98, and yes it does feel that little bit better on 95 Octane, but you really don't know what the octane level is as they could cheat us, as the man in the street has to take their word for it.

A new servo opened near me, so I filled the diesel car with it as they had a special price. It was sh*t fuel, the engine rattled like **** on acceleration, perhaps petrol tainted.
Next tank came from the regular Mobil, was back to normal smooth operation again.
The VFR1200F on their cheap 95 ran with no difference to the 7/11 servo 98 stuff.

Anyway, the GSXS on 95 started winking low fuel at 280 KM and when refilled, it said the range was 290 km.
The reserve indicated distance said 80, in 5 km it was showing 50, so I wouldn't like to rely on it down to the last drop, if it's like the speed the main tank level drops so fast below the half way indication.

So M0neg3 you ride a lot harder than the Old Man me - take a bow, Son.

Rob.
I actually don't ride a lot harder than anyone! :p

I stil to speed limits or just above them. The biggest difference? I'm a fat 150kg heffa that the bike needs to haul around.... weight is the biggest killer of fuel economy on bikes! ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I alwayz byz 101 octanez. My bike runz great and it luvz octanez heapz. Da more octanez I can jamz in da tank, da betta.

(Sigh...)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the choice between 95 and 97... only reason I ever use 97 is for the extra cleaning additives it has.... never noticed any extra power on any bike except when a power commander was involved and mapped to the new fuel and have even had bikes that simply hated 97 and ran terribly.
Locally 97 is close to 10% more expensive so doesn't make sense using it all the time.
If it were almost the same price I'd use it all the time.
Cars do seem to react better to higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I alwayz byz 101 octanez. My bike runz great and it luvz octanez heapz. Da more octanez I can jamz in da tank, da betta.

(Sigh...)
Your previous post was pretty rude before you edited it out.

Depending on the bike, yes it will make a difference running a higher octane fuel. Case in point is if you have your bike tuned for the higher octane. Running lower octane becomes pretty much an impossibility unless you wanna nuke your engine and run lean as fk. But hey! you'll have more power ;)

I have the choice between 95 and 97... only reason I ever use 97 is for the extra cleaning additives it has.... never noticed any extra power on any bike except when a power commander was involved and mapped to the new fuel and have even had bikes that simply hated 97 and ran terribly.
Locally 97 is close to 10% more expensive so doesn't make sense using it all the time.
If it were almost the same price I'd use it all the time.
Cars do seem to react better to higher octane fuel.
They generally react better as they have knock sensors. They are able to retard/advance timing depending on knock values.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts