GSXS 1000 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
so i run 91 or 93 live in the USA...some gas stations have 91 others 93....thats pretty much what suzuki suggests ....if what i read is correct.....98 and 95 in other countrys is the same as 91 an 93 in usa......so where all using pretty much the same......and i agree anything higher will produce no gain only problems in the long run

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you explain the science behind a lower octane fuel making your bike run leaner?
My bad, whether you run leaner or not i'm not 100% sure, but you 100% do get pre-detonation. I just pulled a 14hr day at work i was tired.

Depending on what fuel your tune has been done for is what you should run, or higher.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
well im willing to bet to high of octane will run lean ,,,and burn the rear side of exhaust valves....while the unburnt gas ignites in the exhaust pipe turning them a pretty color purple blue

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just to add to that we all know some of the supermarket type petrol station sell cheaper petrol/gas because they have more additives in but theres isnt ever going to be a way to tell.

Maybe the snatchy throttle people have could be down to using one of these type of fuel stops. Its seems an issue Suzuki can quite put their finger on so it may be some other factor including the rider i suppose :p

I put supermarket (Tesco) fuel in my bike and it's running like crap. At 3.5k revs it was almost unbearable to ride. And no, it's not in my mind, I've done 15k miles so I know when somethings not right.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I’ve found the same when I use Morrison’s. not always but I guess it’s just what batch they have managed to buy in to keep the price down.
Never had a problem with BP fuel and I get better mpg too. It’s worth the extra penny or two a litre if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I put supermarket (Tesco) fuel in my bike and it's running like crap. At 3.5k revs it was almost unbearable to ride. And no, it's not in my mind, I've done 15k miles so I know when somethings not right.
What kind of running like crap? Was this a one tank thing? It's possible the fuelers ****** up and you got the wrong octane.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tend to put Jet or Shell in as they are the closest branded stations, but will do supermarket if needed. Never had a problem with supermarket fuel in mine, but don't get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Can be a bit of an anorak and keep an eye on fuel usage and dont notice any big difference between suppliers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My main concern whenever I gas up the bike is that there's still a large amount of regular- or mid-grade gas left in the pump pipes and hose from the previous gas pump user, so I'm not really getting a full dose of premium fuel when I top up my tank, because the first gallon or so (an estimate) of gas in the hose is regular- or mid-grade. And the situation is only exacerbated whenever I'm topping up the bike and there's still some gas left in my tank -- i.e., if I only needed 2 gallons of fuel then I actually only got one gallon of premium, and one gallon of regular- or mid-grade.

I hope I explained that well enough to get my point across.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My main concern whenever I gas up the bike is that there's still a large amount of regular- or mid-grade gas left in the pump pipes and hose from the previous gas pump user, so I'm not really getting a full dose of premium fuel when I top up my tank, because the first gallon or so (an estimate) of gas in the hose is regular- or mid-grade. And the situation is only exacerbated whenever I'm topping up the bike and there's still some gas left in my tank -- i.e., if I only needed 2 gallons of fuel then I actually only got one gallon of premium, and one gallon of regular- or mid-grade.

I guess thats true, however it never seems to be a big enough issue to my bike, always ran great on every bike running the 93 from pump whether or not I get 87 mixed w 93 the bike ran stellar. im convinced you could pretty much pee in the tank and it would run tbh. I just pick highest octane and ride it.

·
Registered
86 Posts

We don't have that here in the UK, that i know of. We have dedicated pumps for the each.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There is a BP and a Shell station 350 yards apart where I live. I have seen a tanker (no brand logo) pull off the BP place and when I walk down the road there he is at the Shell place. Does he go to Asda and Tesco as well ?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There is a BP and a Shell station 350 yards apart where I live. I have seen a tanker (no brand logo) pull off the BP place and when I walk down the road there he is at the Shell place. Does he go to Asda and Tesco as well ?

Well I’ll be
I knew that happened at the supermarket pumps but didn’t know it happened between the big main brands

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well I’ll be
I knew that happened at the supermarket pumps but didn’t know it happened between the big main brands

Depends on where you are. I live in a mountain valley in the middle of nowhere. We have one fuel truck for all the stations. Individual stations may put additives in, but I've never bothered to ask them.

D

·
0 Posts
I’m Lucky enough to have a place locally(Toms thumb marketplace) in Scottsdale Arizona for those of you or close enough to get to it that has both 95 and 100 octane On pump! I ride fairly aggressively and have noticed an average of 20-30 mile increase in range Over 91 octane and if I do have to go to 91 for whatever reason I try to go to Chevron and get the premium with techron and I avoid shell gas I have had a lot of problems with it for whatever reason?

·
Registered
24 Posts
mostly 95 octane with a completely stock 2017 model... sometimes a do fill her up with 98 octane when i go street rossi mode. 95 octane is much better for throttle jerkiness and i ride always with Traction control at 1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Stateside folks should read https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/what-gas-should-i-put-in-my-motorcycle-the-skinny-on-octane-rating

Then check out https://www.pure-gas.org/ to find a station nearby that sells... well... real gas.
Nice links!
In the end, you have to settle for what's available. The available gas octane rating gets lower at altitude (less oxygen=less pre-ignition potential). Around here, I'm at 4600' asl, and the best you can get is 91.

Then there's the ethenol free problem... Few gas stations around here carry it, and the octane rating for the ethanol free is 85 or 87.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I always get the highest octane but I don't go out of my way to go to Sunoco , I think they are 92 most places around here have 91.Now if there was a place around here with ethenol free gas I would go the extra miles .

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thankfully there are several 91 ethanol free stations around locally. Run ethanol free gas in all my vehicles when possible.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts