GSXS 1000 Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here in the Uk were are served good quality petrol from what i have read.
Ive tried all the fancy stuff in my car and bikes in the past and can honestly say i have not felt any benefit whatsoever....idling...starting...flat out...the smell, its all been the same. No difference.
I buy the cheap stuff.
Vicky butler Henderson did an article on it on 5th gear and there was very little difference. Its on YouTube if you'd like to see it

·
Registered
5 Posts
maybe it'd be an idea for you to research what the Octane levels actually measure, it's not so much performance, it's about engine knock/Ping.

"Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to resist ‘knock’. The octane requirement of an engine varies with compression ratio, geometrical and mechanical considerations and operating conditions. The higher the octane number the greater the fuel’s resistance to knocking or pinging during combustion."

the lowest i have found in the UK is that Petroleum company ending with SO, premium is only 93, regular 87, the Brit Pet (i'm trying not to name names) is regular 95 or 98 for advanced.

i am more concerned about what long term damage all the additives they put in the so called advanced fuels. basically they're adding their own reddex substitutes, many of these additives will strip the lining from the inside of your fuel tanks, that lining is to help prevent your tank from rusting inside.
maybe it'd be an idea for you to research what the Octane levels actually measure, it's not so much performance, it's about engine knock/Ping.

"Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to resist ‘knock’. The octane requirement of an engine varies with compression ratio, geometrical and mechanical considerations and operating conditions. The higher the octane number the greater the fuel’s resistance to knocking or pinging during combustion."

the lowest i have found in the UK is that Petroleum company ending with SO, premium is only 93, regular 87, the Brit Pet (i'm trying not to name names) is regular 95 or 98 for advanced.

i am more concerned about what long term damage all the additives they put in the so called advanced fuels. basically they're adding their own reddex substitutes, many of these additives will strip the lining from the inside of your fuel tanks, that lining is to help prevent your tank from rusting inside.
I've been told that pinking or pinging is a result of detination before top dead centre, which is a consequence of a too high an octain level of the fuel. An old 4 star fuel would detinate more easily than a 2 star fuel, so required the engine timing to be retarded. 2 star fuel is less easily detonated so requires retardation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to add to that we all know some of the supermarket type petrol station sell cheaper petrol/gas because they have more additives in but theres isnt ever going to be a way to tell.

Maybe the snatchy throttle people have could be down to using one of these type of fuel stops. Its seems an issue Suzuki can quite put their finger on so it may be some other factor including the rider i suppose :p
There are less additives in supermarket fuels and not more, the big companies like BP and esso add cleansing and lubricating agents. Supermarket fuels are just basic

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only use 95, any higher octan is a waste of money, since the bike doesnt have a knocking-sensor witch will self-adjust the ignition. The BMW GT1600 and some other bikes has that, there its stated in the manual that they will gain a couple of hp with 98. (Sorry for the bad english):)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I've been told that pinking or pinging is a result of detination before top dead centre, which is a consequence of a too high an octain level of the fuel. An old 4 star fuel would detinate more easily than a 2 star fuel, so required the engine timing to be retarded. 2 star fuel is less easily detonated so requires retardation.
Actually, it's exactly the opposite. Higher octane = more resistant to detination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I choose 97 or 98 RON if it's available only for the benefit of lower ethanol content, particularly if it's not going to be used for a while. Otherwise 95RON but not from a supermarket if I can help it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I choose 97 or 98 RON if it's available only for the benefit of lower ethanol content, particularly if it's not going to be used for a while. Otherwise 95RON but not from a supermarket if I can help it.
There's no alcohol whatsoever in esso super, in the UK that is. I especially try to use it if my bike won't be used that often, like in the winter time

121 - 128 of 128 Posts