GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of getting my ecu flashed. But I’m hearing that the gas mileage may drop drastically. Can people who have had their ecu flashed advise if it made much of a difference.

Im mainly interested in stock bikes that have been flashed, as I wish to keep my bike standard but have it running properly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m thinking of getting my ecu flashed. But I’m hearing that the gas mileage may drop drastically. Can people who have had their ecu flashed advise if it made much of a difference.

Im mainly interested in stock bikes that have been flashed, as I wish to keep my bike standard but have it running properly.
Mine is standard, flashed with all the extra benefits it brings and I’ve not noticed any change in mileage. Just take it to be flashed and setup on a Dyno. I can’t advise postal as there all different. After it’s done you won’t care if you lost some mpg. Smooth ballistic missile that you can then ride correctly, faster and safer. Oh and +11 hip at top end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I flashed mine and I think they may have added too much fuel to be honest. I feel like I lost a little mid/ low end. I usually get 180-200km per tank. I also ride the crap out of the bike. Before the flash I was getting 220-240km. That is with a decat and slip on. I'll be going for a dyno tune in the spring for sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I flashed mine and I think they may have added too much fuel to be honest. I feel like I lost a little mid/ low end. I usually get 180-200km per tank. I also ride the crap out of the bike. Before the flash I was getting 220-240km. That is with a decat and slip on. I'll be going for a dyno tune in the spring for sure.
Got to be done on a dyno to tweak initial flash otherwise your in the dark re everything really. Mine pre flash was too lean below 6krpm. They are all different.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't had my flashed ECU in long enough to compare before/after, but I will say that I now cruise in lower gears and higher RPM because the fueling is buttery smooth now. This will put a dent in my fuel economy, and I'll report back when I have something scientific.

·
Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000FA
86 Posts
Had mine flashed at Danos and have a K&N air filter with a slip on. Before and after I get around 45-48 in the city and 43-44 on the highway depending on speed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't had my flashed ECU in long enough to compare before/after, but I will say that I now cruise in lower gears and higher RPM because the fueling is buttery smooth now. This will put a dent in my fuel economy, and I'll report back when I have something scientific.
Interesting that as i find my self cruising at lower speeds in higher gears for the same reason, lol.
As an example - if i care to bang it in top she runs and pulls smoothly all the way from 25mph to oh hello officer. As I said mine was running lean low down till around 6krpm.
That is however on UK fuel.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting that as i find my self cruising at lower speeds in higher gears for the same reason, lol.
As an example - if i care to bang it in top she runs and pulls smoothly all the way from 25mph to oh hello officer. As I said mine was running lean low down till around 6krpm.
That is however on UK fuel.
Before my flash I would short-shift and cruise in 5th/6th gear because of the binary on/off characteristic of the fueling. I did this instinctively, in hindsight, and I got along with it. I only did the flash for giggles but, wow, what a difference it makes. Now I can cruise closer to where the power comes on. But I agree the torque is enough to make any ride enjoyable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 GSXS. De-cat, De-ox, K&N, straight thru exhaust, Danos flash. Putting around rural roads keeping it fairly legal. Got about 46mpg before all this, and about the same after.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Before my flash I would short-shift and cruise in 5th/6th gear because of the binary on/off characteristic of the fueling. I did this instinctively, in hindsight, and I got along with it. I only did the flash for giggles but, wow, what a difference it makes. Now I can cruise closer to where the power comes on. But I agree the torque is enough to make any ride enjoyable.
Yeah if i remember rightly if one got back on the throttle before 2seconds after closing it then no jerk or if it was left to below 2.5krpm it wouldnt.
But tbf the the other pros like 1,2,3, gear restrictions removed, lowering the fan cut in temperature and still fuelling on throttle close to help loose the horrendous engine braking were equally welcome. No more unsettling jerk mid corner on picking up the throttle. My mates got a Katana but can get him to have it flashed? no. Hopefully he will and then be seriously hacked off for not doing it earlier.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Had mine dyno tuned and it has an Arrow tailpipe with linkpipe. Fuel usage is just the same for me.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Currently getting about 39-41 mpg.
That is what I got stock. So flashing did not change fuel mileage. But I also tweaked the flash with the auto tune feature woolich has, using a broad band O2 sensor.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was averaging 42 MPG before and, after a few long rides, I'm averaging 41 MPG. Again, probably because I'm riding it a bit harder now that the fueling is super smooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts