GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I don't know off hand what the stock gearing is, I'd have to look it up. But I'm definitely considering going up 2-3 teeth in the rear for some better low end acceleration and more wheelie fun with less effort.

I'm curious to hear some opinions from anyone who has gone up 2-3 (maybe even more) teeth in the rear. Do I need an extra chain link with a change like that? I know the speedo reads front tire speed, so I'm pleased I won't need to get a speedo healer.

Just curious to hear what you guys think. >:D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stock is 17/44. Going up 3 on the rear sprocket is close to going down one on the front. If you haven't seen this site - Gearing Commander ⚙ - check it out. You can put in all sorts of combinations and see what it does to engine revs, tooth-link contacts, etc. It won't tell you if you need to extend the chain. Likely going down on the front can use the existing chain.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have changed from 17/44 to 16/47 (-1/+3) but I have a 200/55 rear so overall about 9% lower geared

I put a new chain on but its the same length as standard but did move the rear wheel about 1cm forward, but as mine was closer to the end of the swingarm I was happy with the shorter wheelbase. Gearing commander will tell you if you need a longer chain.

Locally there aren't many places I can drive over 200kmh and the response at lower speeds is much better on an already awesome fast bike

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have changed from 17/44 to 16/47 (-1/+3) but I have a 200/55 rear so overall about 9% lower geared

I put a new chain on but its the same length as standard but did move the rear wheel about 1cm forward, but as mine was closer to the end of the swingarm I was happy with the shorter wheelbase. Gearing commander will tell you if you need a longer chain.

Locally there aren't many places I can drive over 200kmh and the response at lower speeds is much better on an already awesome fast bike
Unless I'm missing something, only indirectly. It gives the distance between sprockets, so I guess you could measure how much leeway you have on your rear axle adjuster and figure it out from there. Doesn't seen to account for chain slack or stretching though.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, only indirectly. It gives the distance between sprockets, so I guess you could measure how much leeway you have on your rear axle adjuster and figure it out from there. Doesn't seen to account for chain slack or stretching though.
Maybe I'm mis-reading something but it appears to say 112 links needed

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
When I put in the GSXS it says 116 links, but apparently that is just stock. You can enter the number of links you want to use at the top of the page where you enter the sprocket sizes. So I think it's just using what you tell it as opposed to calculating a number.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I put in the GSXS it says 116 links, but apparently that is just stock. You can enter the number of links you want to use at the top of the page where you enter the sprocket sizes. So I think it's just using what you tell it as opposed to calculating a number.
In Paul's example the difference in length with the new sprocket is less than the chain pitch, so you wouldn't pull a link.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
In Paul's example the difference in length with the new sprocket is less than the chain pitch, so you wouldn't pull a link.
Yes, my bad, I did it a while ago and forgot I had played wth the number of links.

I wanted the wheel forward a bit to shorten the wheelbase for handling and reduce the spray soaking my back in the rain - but the 200 tyre tread is 15mm further back anyway :(

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you want a MT10-"clone", I think PhuketPaul's mod is the right thing.

I tried 17/47 for a while, but have settled on OEM (17/44) now.

Miss some more "spread" from 5th to 6th to reduce rpms on highways, but it is a GSXR that is the donor for the engine&drivetrain. :)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

After playing around with gearingcommander, I think I'm going to try the 16/47 set up. Doesn't lose too much top end, just hoping to somewhat kill the dead zone in the lower to mid range acceleration.

Still haven't flashed my bike, but I don't really want to either. I'm very happy with it in stock form.

Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Have mine geared 16/46 with a 190/55/17 rear tire and really like the combination.

I had 16/46 with a 190/55 and it seemed perfect, so when I went to a 200/55 i changed to 16/47

"Miss some more "spread" from 5th to 6th to reduce rpms on highways, but it is a GSXR that is the donor for the engine&drivetrain."

Me too, 5th and 6th seem far too close, would be great to just increase gear 6

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had 16/46 with a 190/55 and it seemed perfect, so when I went to a 200/55 i changed to 16/47

"Miss some more "spread" from 5th to 6th to reduce rpms on highways, but it is a GSXR that is the donor for the engine&drivetrain."

Me too, 5th and 6th seem far too close, would be great to just increase gear 6
Definitely remember this for when I try the 200/55/17 rear tire.

I also think there should be more of a rpm difference between 5&6. Doesn't drop many rpms at all from one to the other.

·
Registered
139 Posts
:D how much higher is rpm for the mph in 6th gear
Not that big of a difference in 6th. I want to say between 500-700 rpms. According to gearingcommander it's less than 300 rpms with the 190/55 rear tire if I'm reading it all correctly. I definitely like the gearing I have with the tire size I have currently.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If I were to change gears (which I might if I could get what I want), I'd just like a wider spread overall. Lower first, higher sixth. Is that do-able?
Overall I'm happy with the stock gearing, once I got used to keeping the revs up, because I'm getting great mileage, great acceleration and it really doesn't matter what gear I'm in.
:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
If I were to change gears (which I might if I could get what I want), I'd just like a wider spread overall. Lower first, higher sixth. Is that do-able?
Overall I'm happy with the stock gearing, once I got used to keeping the revs up, because I'm getting great mileage, great acceleration and it really doesn't matter what gear I'm in.
:)
When they advertised it as a street tuned bike, that's what I expected as well. Heck, we could probably get by almost as well with 3 gears - 1st, 3rd and 6th. Many times I accelerate hard starting out on a straight, and I'm already well beyond my cruising speed by 3rd, so I'll just quickly shift up to 6 as I'm slowing down.

I don't think that kind of gearing change is possible without changing out the actual gears in the transmission. To find something that would work would be a long shot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm with G-Dub on that one. If you change the sprockets, you'll change the ratio for all gears by the same multiplier. So far as I know (without breaking out spreadsheets and casting math at it) this won't have a significant effect on the spread between gears.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts