GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
But Rotella T6 is not designed for motorcycles, does it?
How can a high performance motorcycle run fine with an oil designed for diesel trucks?
runs and shifts great. All of my bikes have for the last 15years, been riding "high performance motorcycles" for over 30yrs on the street. The Suzuki states JASOMA (Japanese Automoblie Standards Organization). It meets this standard. Suzuki says dont use "energy conserving oils (bad for wet clutch). It meets this standard also. Its a synthetic, so it beats the Dino oil in lots of ways. Rotella isnt new, motorcyclists have put millions of miles on their bikes using the synthetic and on synthetic type for more than 20yrs. I use it unless I get a rebate or good sale when a oil change is due. I really dont care what oil anybody uses, its what I do. Change your oil and filter often and you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
runs and shifts great. All of my bikes have for the last 15years, been riding "high performance motorcycles" for over 30yrs on the street. The Suzuki states JASOMA (Japanese Automoblie Standards Organization). It meets this standard. Suzuki says dont use "energy conserving oils (bad for wet clutch). It meets this standard also. Its a synthetic, so it beats the Dino oil in lots of ways. Rotella isnt new, motorcyclists have put millions of miles on their bikes using the synthetic and on synthetic type for more than 20yrs. I use it unless I get a rebate or good sale when a oil change is due. I really dont care what oil anybody uses, its what I do. Change your oil and filter often and you wont have a problem.
Okay, I don't really use virgin coconut oil. But OMG, I'm sucked into another oil thread. :crying: I haven't run Rotella T6 yet in my S1000, but I used to use Rotella Tx on all of my previous bikes. I decided to try a couple of different oils (Motul 300V, Motul 7100, Amsoil Metric), just to see how they work out. Seems like the Amsoil shifts the best across temp ranges so far, (the 300V seemed to loose viscosity pretty quick, and the 7100 was really good too), but I think I'm gonna try the Rotella T6 next time (except I think I have some Amsoil in the cabinet that I gotta use up - and it is good stuff btw).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
According to the experts that I have asked these are the suggested motor oils for our bike:

1-) Suzuki ECSTAR R9000 Motorcycle Full Synthetic Engine Oil 10W-40 (Dealer recommended)
2-) Castrol 06112 POWER 1 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Brand that I have used for decades)
3-) Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Very reputable Company)
4-) Motul 104092 7100 Ester 4T Fully Synthetic 10W-40 (Recommended world wide for motorcycles)
5-) Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil (Not designed for motorcycles but works and it's cheap)

Which one do you use? I guess I'll go for the Castrol.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Motul 5100. Smells like fruit, not petroleum, because it's made from ester base (esters are derived from plants). Here's the thing: ester molecules are ionic. That means the molecule wants to stick to the surface it's touching, so there will always be a layer of oil adhering to all of the surfaces inside the motor. Ninety five percent of a motor's wear occurs when it is first started, and I want the extra protection an ionic molecule affords in that situation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Motul 5100. Smells like fruit, not petroleum, because it's made from ester base (esters are derived from plants). Here's the thing: ester molecules are ionic. That means the molecule wants to stick to the surface it's touching, so there will always be a layer of oil adhering to all of the surfaces inside the motor. Ninety five percent of a motor's wear occurs when it is first started, and I want the extra protection an ionic molecule affords in that situation.
That’s why I use Motul 300V, it’s double ester, 9 times out of 10 I’ll notice a difference when switching to 300V, and not just in my pocket.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Yes, it makes total sense. For this very reason I always warm up the engine for a few minutes before ridding the bike, especially in the morning when all the oil is down and the engine is super cold. I don't think these new cars engines will last too long when they stop their engine in every stop. It's a terrible thing to start an engine since there is little lubrication or no lubrication at all when the engine starts.
Well to avoid all this, my next bike may be an electric one:D

Oh nooo! but the sound?>:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That’s why I use Motul 300V, it’s double ester, 9 times out of 10 I’ll notice a difference when switching to 300V, and not just in my pocket.
I bet you do, that's great. I may switch to Motul 300V.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep. That initial oil has served it's purpose and now it needs the good stuff.
I disagree. If the engine were completely broken in at 600 miles there wouldn't be any further restrictions on engine operation, but there still are per the manual. One reason the oil gets changed at 600 miles is to remove any swarf and shavings. The filter won't remove swarf finer than a certain size.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I disagree. If the engine were completely broken in at 600 miles there wouldn't be any further restrictions on engine operation, but there still are per the manual. One reason the oil gets changed at 600 miles is to remove any swarf and shavings. The filter won't remove swarf finer than a certain size.
Nobody agrees in an oil thread. On top of that we're back to normal vs hard break in. Oh dear... I'm out.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,678 Posts
Nobody agrees in an oil thread. On top of that we're back to normal vs hard break in. Oh dear... I'm out.
I'm searching for a Hit Man to kill this thread, and the one on Sump washers.:devilish:

21 - 40 of 54 Posts