GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I disagree. If the engine were completely broken in at 600 miles there wouldn't be any further restrictions on engine operation, but there still are per the manual. One reason the oil gets changed at 600 miles is to remove any swarf and shavings. The filter won't remove swarf finer than a certain size.
You got a very good point. It makes sense totally. I just changed the oil on my bike @ 600 miles, I put in the Castrol 10-40W Actevo Part synthetic 4T engine oil, picture below:

When I get to 1,000 miles I'll change the oil again and I'll put the fully synthetic Castrol Power 1 below:

Before this I will not accelerate my bike more than constant 6K rpm.

Registered
2016 GSXS1000
I use the Actevo also. Always have in my bikes.

but, oil threads are comical. All opinions!
Has the actybond. or whatever they call it, molecules for cold starts馃馃徏

otherwise as stated, there are basically 3 "big oil" companies. So choose what bottle you like better. 馃槀 33% chance I am running same thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
I use the Actevo also. Always have in my bikes.
This is great!

but, oil threads are comical. All opinions!
Yes, that's the point, we all express our own ideas and experiences. Also, that's why this forum is called "General Discussion" :D

Has the actybond. or whatever they call it, molecules for cold starts馃馃徏
Yes, very well engineered.

otherwise as stated, there are basically 3 "big oil" companies. So choose what bottle you like better. 馃槀 33% chance I am running same thing.
Well, I like those 2 bottles better than anything else in the world. Don't they look beautiful? :D

We just have two kinds of people in the world, the complainers and the productive ones. Sadly for every 1,000,000 (on million) complainers good for nothing, we have 1 person that helps society greatly.
Every comment, question, concern, advise, experience, thought, idea, etc. is valuable to me, even for just a good laugh. My question to all those good for nothing is, why reading and even worse of all spend your energy writing a comment that does not help nobody at all? Shouldn't be better just for those who write negative comments just to go away?

I noticed that no many people post anymore questions for fear of retaliation.

Registered
TL:DR version. Doesn't really matter.

Long version.
I've done an expensive oil testing program of my own as well as part of a larger scale test on a fleet of taxis. I also had an enlightening conversation with the rep from the oil testing lab we used.
Most of their business was large high-hours fleet vehicles where pushing out an oil change could mean huge overall cost savings, especially when overhaul costs had to be included.

For most of us (he and the testing showed) that the correct grade and weight of good quality oil changed regularly will give you the best results. The additives that make an oil specific to a purpose come from one of only 4 companies in the world. The difference is really just the blend.

I'm not sure how true it is but I was told that the bigger companies may have bigger marketing budgets but also research and development budgets. The minnows rely a lot on reverse engineering, strategic hiring and/or small scale trial and error.

As previously mentioned by another poster the difference between 100,000km and 110,000km between overhauls is irrelevant to most of us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
TL:DR version. Doesn't really matter.

Long version.
I've done an expensive oil testing program of my own as well as part of a larger scale test on a fleet of taxis. I also had an enlightening conversation with the rep from the oil testing lab we used.
Most of their business was large high-hours fleet vehicles where pushing out an oil change could mean huge overall cost savings, especially when overhaul costs had to be included.

For most of us (he and the testing showed) that the correct grade and weight of good quality oil changed regularly will give you the best results. The additives that make an oil specific to a purpose come from one of only 4 companies in the world. The difference is really just the blend.

I'm not sure how true it is but I was told that the bigger companies may have bigger marketing budgets but also research and development budgets. The minnows rely a lot on reverse engineering, strategic hiring and/or small scale trial and error.

As previously mentioned by another poster the difference between 100,000km and 110,000km between overhauls is irrelevant to most of us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thank you for sharing your findings, good post (y)

Registered
2016 GSXS1000
Yes, I noticed it too, it is very cheap now. I paid like $27 for mine.
Did we just become best friends?

馃槀
I agree...there are plenty of useless ppl in the world. 1 per million might be a high count there.

I have been paying $6.xx a court @ Walmart....just found that I can order the gallons馃憤馃徏
just personally like the synthetic blend, you get the best of both worlds IMO.
I work @ a dealership in parts dept at the moment, one of the techs explained to me about the Castrol Actevo, how it does really leave a film on parts. He has torn down an atv engine that the customer used this oil. Acts as normal oil once hot, but sticks where it needs to for protection on cold starts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Did we just become best friends?
Of course we did (y)

馃槀
I agree...there are plenty of useless ppl in the world. 1 per million might be a high count there.
Imagine if we could have more people like Thomas Alva Edison?

I have been paying $6.xx a court @ Walmart....just found that I can order the gallons馃憤馃徏
just personally like the synthetic blend, you get the best of both worlds IMO.
That's great, in deed.

I work @ a dealership in parts dept at the moment, one of the techs explained to me about the Castrol Actevo, how it does really leave a film on parts. He has torn down an atv engine that the customer used this oil. Acts as normal oil once hot, but sticks where it needs to for protection on cold starts.
Yes, smart engineering for sure. I have used Castrol in my cars all my life, the best oil in the world according to my experience. We have a Toyota Corolla 2000 running like new, not a problem at all, also a Camry 2017 and a Scion 2018 all running perfectly. All my cars have never been in a dealer for service, I do their service.

Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
mobil 1 15w50 fully synthetic & with the summer were having in the UK so far. Good idea for a 15w , 10w is pointless in hotter weather

Registered
According to the experts that I have asked these are the suggested motor oils for our bike:

1-) Suzuki ECSTAR R9000 Motorcycle Full Synthetic Engine Oil 10W-40 (Dealer recommended)
2-) Castrol 06112 POWER 1 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Brand that I have used for decades)
3-) Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (Very reputable Company)
4-) Motul 104092 7100 Ester 4T Fully Synthetic 10W-40 (Recommended world wide for motorcycles)
5-) Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil (Not designed for motorcycles but works and it's cheap)

Which one do you use? I guess I'll go for the Castrol.
The Rotella T6 and T4 are both JASO MA rated so they are motorcycle oil

Registered
I run Penrite oils in all my vehicles, 2 wheel or 4.

MC-4ST 10w-40 (100% PAO and ESTER) in the bikes.
Full Synthetic 5W-30 in the cages

Been using their products for 20+ years in everything.

Personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 54 of 54 Posts