GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I noticed a small oil leak coming from a plug on the chain side of my 2016 GSX-S (see picture below...). After flipping through what feels like the entire service manual I came up short on finding what this plug is actually for, and thus what torque spec it requires etc... I think I found the correct part number on Babbitts (see other pictures below...), however it just says "plug" for description so I'm still not sure where in the manual to look to find information on it.

Also, assuming I am able to figure out what the plug is for and all that...does anyone know if it would pour oil out if I remove it to change the gasket, or maybe just some drips? I guess it's not a big deal because I plan on changing my oil soon anyways so I could replace the gasket then, but still would be nice to know what to expect!

Thank you in advance for any insight! Ride safe!
LeakPlug.jpg
LeakPlug2.png
LeakPlug3.png

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Didn’t you say oil is leaking from this plug?
I am not sure, as I have not yet flushed my GSXS system, but I think it could be the coolant drain plug. Every (water cooled) bike has one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn’t you say oil is leaking from this plug?
I am not sure, as I have not yet flushed my GSXS system, but I think it could be the coolant drain plug. Every (water cooled) bike has one.
Hmm...I thought it looked like the color of oil but perhaps you're right...I haven't changed the coolant since I've owned the bike so it's possible the coolant is just looking a little darker than I would expect. I'll check the manual again tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it is oil, then it may well be an oil galley. I believe when internal oil galleys get machined, it is from the outside and plugs get installed afterward. My bet, it is one of those, assuming oil is what is coming out. An oil galley plug is what I used to install oil temperature monitoring on the bandit. I removed an oil galley plug, drilled and tapped for the sensor to measure engine oil temps internally.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
As gritty said, or it might be a fixture location hole for machining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys, thanks for all the replys and sorry for the delay in response! I orderd and just replaced the copper washer that sits beneath the screw head. Hoepfully that will stop the leak. I cleaned the area really well and I think @Rapido1 is right, it looks like coolant as the fluid was clear, bright and orange. I think I thought it was oil initially because the fluid was mixing with dirt that was in the area which made it appear very dark, like used oil. With that said, I went back into the service manual to look through the cooling system pages and still found nothing regarding this plug. Weird! There is an (apparently) identical M16 plug on the non-drive side of the bike which as @JPC mentioned, is indeed an oil gallery plug and luckily I found a torque spec for that in the engine lubrication section of the manual. My best guess is to torque it to the same value since they are the same size threads into the same material and hope for the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts