GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Took my first GSXS1000 for a ride yesterday and I'm sold on getting one. I took the 2019 model for a ride but I generally prefer to buy "close to new yet used", mainly for the financial saving (which I then spend on mods hah). So my main question is, has much changed over the last few years with the GSXS1000's? I can pick up a 2016 model for half the price of a new one or a 2017 for just a touch more. Would I be missing out on much as compared to the new 2019 model if I did so? Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi guys,
Took my first GSXS1000 for a ride yesterday and I'm sold on getting one. I took the 2019 model for a ride but I generally prefer to buy "close to new yet used", mainly for the financial saving (which I then spend on mods hah). So my main question is, has much changed over the last few years with the GSXS1000's? I can pick up a 2016 model for half the price of a new one or a 2017 for just a touch more. Would I be missing out on much as compared to the new 2019 model if I did so? Thanks!
I'd pick up the best deal on a 2018. Added a slipper clutch.
Also blacked out the footpegs etc, looks much better.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Cheers mate. Any particular reason for the 2018 model? What changes did they make from the 2017?
They bumped up the power a little both HP and torque (on paper anyway) and met Euro4 requirements.
Slipper clutch (i don't think i'll ever own a bike without one again)
Smoked windshield on the F model and blacked out foot rests, gear lever, rear brake pedal, handlebar levers.
New colour schemes, the red and black is a winner :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi guys,

I think the only difference between 2018 and 2019 is a different throttle tube which smooths out the power delivery. $20, I think.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi guys,
The newer the 1000, the better the engine behaves. Every change Suzuki has done to the motor has been a benefit to a Rider.
While for the 2019, the snatchy throttle is better than in the 2016 version, it's still there at low revs when tricking along slowly. The ECU just lean's the fuel to just a whiff down the throttle tubes.

If you buy a 16, your getting a good bike still, I had and got both. If your in the USA, just buy the 16 and get the ECU tune flashed by Danos. People here swear by it, but only does the US.
You need to know the 16 without the slipper clutch need's a firmer handshake on the lever, but my 19 with the slipper is no featherweight in the pull in stakes, and I put the bike into neutral at the light's every time.
The 1000 has a 6 speed very close ratio gearbox, so your less likely to downshift too low. I can ride in 3rd and 4th everywhere I need while on the power, the torque is that strong.

Rob.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Buy the cheapest one you find.
2018 added maybe 4 hp. Most of your riding will be at 60 hp or much less.
Slipper clutch is for ham-fisted (toed?) race track riders.
Since you are buying used, just test ride it at light throttle openings
and decide whether any snatchiness is something you can live with.
Unless you are north of 220 lbs, expect to spend $1000 (US) on a rear shock.
Avoid tail-tidy mods unless you only pack a ham sandwich in your pocket. The mods,
not the sandwiches, interfere with any decent luggage option.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Buy the cheapest one you find.
2018 added maybe 4 hp. Most of your riding will be at 60 hp or much less.
Slipper clutch is for ham-fisted (toed?) race track riders.
Since you are buying used, just test ride it at light throttle openings
and decide whether any snatchiness is something you can live with.
Unless you are north of 220 lbs, expect to spend $1000 (US) on a rear shock.
Avoid tail-tidy mods unless you only pack a ham sandwich in your pocket. The mods,
not the sandwiches, interfere with any decent luggage option.
I hope this helps.
If you like looking at a hideous rear mud guard, want to transform a bike that leans more toward sports into a less useful vstrom and don't rev higher than 3k revs then this is awesome advice. Or buy a vstrom.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mud guard is what it is. I would like the cleaner look of a tail tidy, but then you have crap all over your tail light, passenger seat and your BACK if you go through any dirt, water or mud. I don't see it when I'm riding it's just back there doing its job.

Any year is a good year, I never had slipper clutch and never needed one. I certainly would not spend any money to upgrade to a slipper clutch as some have inquired about. I have a 16 naked and the clutch pull is light compared to other bikes I have owned. I am just over 8K on the odometer and no problems other than a very comfy looking nest I found on my air filter haha. I can't blame Suzuki for that. Our furry or feathered friends set up a fully insulated party pad in my air box for the winter! They could have lived in any bike but they chose the GSXS-1000. Smart critters.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My 2016 has no snatchy throttle, and I've heard of later years that do. I tend to believe it's more hit and miss than year dependent. Take it for a ride. It's the only way to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my new, leftover 2016 1000 in August. I just happened to be at the dealership buying a part for my RMZ 450 and decided to walk through the showroom.
There sat 4 brand new 2016’s! After talking with the wife for a few days and them coming down on the price a bit more, home it came.
I had not read anything about the bike I just know my wrist and back prevent me from enjoying Sportbikes these days. So this was the next best thing for me. I love it and never noticed the snatchy throttle issue until I started reading about it!!
I rode it last week and it seemed so bad I wanted to sell the bike!! I drove it yesterday and it drove like the best bike I have ever ridden!!
It was cold out last week and warm yesterday, so was the abrupt throttle issue me being stiff and cold or a mental issue from reading about this issue?
Strange huh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your mental Lol..
My bikes a 17 and it was really crap so I ended up getting woolich ecu flash.
Also the stock suspension doesn’t help on bumpy roads.
So these are your options and yes I’ve done both:D
Now the bike is frigin awesome!
Anyhow just keep riding the bike for a while then make a decision.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I bought my new, leftover 2016 1000 in August. I just happened to be at the dealership buying a part for my RMZ 450 and decided to walk through the showroom.
There sat 4 brand new 2016’s! After talking with the wife for a few days and them coming down on the price a bit more, home it came.
I had not read anything about the bike I just know my wrist and back prevent me from enjoying Sportbikes these days. So this was the next best thing for me. I love it and never noticed the snatchy throttle issue until I started reading about it!!
I rode it last week and it seemed so bad I wanted to sell the bike!! I drove it yesterday and it drove like the best bike I have ever ridden!!
It was cold out last week and warm yesterday, so was the abrupt throttle issue me being stiff and cold or a mental issue from reading about this issue?
Strange huh!
/QUOTE]
I've said that here in the Forum before. Some places around the World have a lot of cold than hot weather. The Continental USA this week is rather extreme end of cold by my TV News, but the Local's probably love it that way.
I have here 9 months of summer riding. In the coldest part of Winter, I have noticed that my upper body under the Summer ventilated jacket get's a bit cold and the hands get stiff (stop laughing, you Nth Yanks).

My old 2016 bike's motor would get a bit more responsive (the same as the enrichment strategy used by the IAT's Boosterplug) and the throttle grip hand more unsubtle in it's action.
I've seen quite a few riders prefer not to wear gloves, so when the temp drops early morning/late afternoon, so on weekdays commutes more riders would be on the road, there's more chance of feeling a 'snatchy throttle'.
Most body muscle actions are easier once you have warmed up first.

Rob.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2015 with 23k runs like a peach the motor seems to get better n better with more kms. The "snatch" is the fuel cut regardless of what Yr bike you have it will have it. Take the excess slack out of your throttle, adjust or check tps, install a Katana throttle tube, it's a naked litre naked sportsbike that's meant to be hard edged and aggressive now go ride and be happy...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your mental Lol..

My bikes a 17 and it was really crap so I ended up getting woolich ecu flash.

Also the stock suspension doesn’t help on bumpy roads.

So these are your options and yes I’ve done both:D

Now the bike is frigin awesome!

Anyhow just keep riding the bike for a while then make a decision.

Well, according to the VA I am mental, so they pay me to stay home! I told the VA shrink that I thought it was normal to hate other people, she told me she could write a book about me, I sat there thinking, my whole family is this way!! She could write a very big book if she interviewed my whole family!
Anyhow, I was thinking about sending the computer to Dano’s but I have heard people say it helped and others said it didn’t! So much confusion!
I should have kept the 2007 1250S Bandit I had, it had linear throttle response and the motor felt like an electric motor! Only got rid of it because I thought I wanted to go back to a light sportbike, not realizing another shoulder surgery was in my future and I wouldn’t be able to comfortably ride a sport bike again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts