GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose we've all had some mechanical let down(s) along the path of biking nirvana. My first was my Honda S-90 that rounded out the 2nd gear shift dogs (sounded like chain was slipping on sprocket). Then I holed a piston on a 250 YDS5 Yamaha (perhaps a result of adding STP to the oil tank?). A wrist pin keeper came out gouging the left cylinder of my first Suzuki, a 250 X6 Hustler. Front brake stay bolt of race bike coming loose and locking front wheel (in pit area thankfully). Had a valve shim retainer bucket in a Z1 come through the valve cover in the burn out box. Flat tires, dead batteries, etc, etc.

But for some reason I always remember the time my sister needed a ride home after I had finished preping my CB-450 Honda for the next days trip to the races. Oh well a short ride shouldn't hurt. As I'm accelerating up the freeway entrance ramp, I hear a short crisp sound akin to, say, breaking styrofoam and I feel warmth on my right ankle. I coast to a stop and to my dismay discover the right cylinder connecting rod went through said cylinder wall/ casting/starter motor. :eek: Apparently it was so traumatic, I can't remember how I got home. Surprisingly, as I was second owner, American Honda had never seen this even in race bikes and warrantied the parts, I only had to pay labor. Unfortunately, that was April and due to a dock strike, I didn't get bike until September. [Maybe that's why one should have more than one bike.] :).

You?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine was a chain. It was on my old yz 490, and the brand was "RK". It snapped.

I assume it was the master link. I installed new link, and it snapped again.

Being smart, and prepared, I had several links with me. By now, I was about 3/4 mad, and a total expert at chain repair.

One thing led to another, and the rear wheel rolled backwards, with good force. It trapped my index finger in the chain and sprocket. I was flexible enough to end up with my arm upside down, finger stuck, and it went clear to the chain guide. I had to roll the wheel forward to release the finger.

Smashed, broken, and cut. Filled with chain lube and dirt. I'll never forget the doctors curious look.

Somehow, I damaged a nerve as it happened, so it was almost painless.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, That hurts to read about. Hope all is well by now? I remember those YZ490s--they were badazz for the time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
failure failure, gee tough question, had about 17 bikes since 1969 the worst failure i can remember was running out of fuel coz none had fuel gauges , until recently that is, and now they all do . I would forget to turn the little tap , you remember them don't you ? under the tank back to ''fuel'' after refilling , when you ran out of gas you turn it to ''reserve'' and hope you would make it to a station, but the secret was to turn it back after re filling, otherwise when you ran out , there was no reserve and it was time to walk.So i am 17 and poor and again out of gas on a steep hill , so i hop off and push it around in a U turn to roll back to where i had seen a gas station and the bloody cops pull me over , while i am pushing and book me for an illegal U turn, ah welcome to us versus them kiddo , you criminal you **** biker person you, anyway it taught me something .... DONT RUN OUT OF GAS numnut

·
Registered
299 Posts
I only had 1 bike fail on me. And it did so miserably. I bet you can't guess which one from the below list.

One day, riding with a group sport bikes, my engine started coughing up gobs of oil and spewing it all over my rear tire. Lucky, someone noticed it before we hit the infamous "9 Turns", a local speedway on/off ramp high speed extravaganza. I rode it to the dealer and they said the whole motor had to be rebuilt and they needed to order the parts and it would be down at least a month. I said "Keep it and give me the Honda in the window". Biggest piece of crap out of all my bikes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Two, on the same bike, which resulted in total failure: '86 Honda Interceptor VF500F. First, chain master link clip fell off, chain separated and front sproket drove it into the crankcase. Second, on the replacement motor, clutch pushrod seal failed on a long ride, slow leak caught up to me after a few hundred miles, piston seized, blew the number one connecting rod right out through the case. Gave up on the bike after that, 20 year old model at the time, engines were getting hard to find. Loved that bike, was sad to see it go, GSXS feels a lot like the Interceptor did though ��

·
Registered
25 Posts
I only had 1 bike fail on me. And it did so miserably. I bet you can't guess which one from the below list.

One day, riding with a group sport bikes, my engine started coughing up gobs of oil and spewing it all over my rear tire. Lucky, someone noticed it before we hit the infamous "9 Turns", a local speedway on/off ramp high speed extravaganza. I rode it to the dealer and they said the whole motor had to be rebuilt and they needed to order the parts and it would be down at least a month. I said "Keep it and give me the Honda in the window". Biggest piece of crap out of all my bikes.
have to be one of the italian bikes
my guess the ducati

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nope. The Buell with the old XL Sportster motor. Didn't have but 2,000 miles on it and just could not hang with the other sport bikes. It was the biggest POS.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had 65cc Benelli Hurricane. Was my first bike and it failed on my brother and me constantly. Had to frequently pull off the head and decarbonize it to fire back up. As much as it quit, we loved that little bike and rode the **** out of it. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, these are great, Thumper just reminded me. I had a 1999 Buell Cyclone that had an Aerocharger (variable vane) turbo installed by a reportedly reputable Eastside Performance. The bike ran good enough to qualify No. 2 in field of 16 at the local annual all Harley event and then proceeded to ingest something during first round of eliminations that took out turbo. While originally buying turbo, it was claimed as "indestructible"--now I was a "fiddler" and was to blame according to the deadbeats at Eastside (ie, NO WARRANTY FOR YOU!). Anyway bike was agricultural at best.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a gsx400f it ran like a dream until the day it decided to die i broke a piston and it exited the engine out the side. I was going to scrap her but she was a fantastic bike and i stumbled across a project bike for sale cheap the guy had got the frame and wheels powder coated gold. but ran out of time or money. I got hold of that bike really cheap and started on a rebuild project starting with the gold frame and working from there. I built a fantastic black and gold bike and i also spent a lot of time rebuilding completely the engine from the new bike. She ran great and looked fantastic however she smoked a bit. I ran it for a few days to see if it stopped smoking but no she got worse. I had the head checked for cracks and did the valves again just incase etc. but no she smoked still. I must have tried 100 different things including another second hand engine and suffering from being the butt of everyone's jokes and suggestions i should bring in a priest to drive out the demons (at the time i was a bike mechanic working in a suzuki dealership) I gave up. She was perfect in every way compression perfect, started ran perfectly but white smoke followed me wherever i went. After 6 months i gave up and traded it in for a gsxr400 grey import.

the gsxr400 ran for 5 weeks then refused to start one day. Turned out it needed new coils and a cdi unit. The only issue was these parts were like "rocking horse poo" so that bike sat in my garage for 2 years until i was in japan on work and one of the guys i was working with over there finally managed to get some second hand coils and a cdi unit. Nowadays we have ebay and stuff but back then things were not so easy. Only good thing was i ended up selling that bike to a collector and basically making back any money i lost off the gsx400f and gsxr400

to this day that gsxf is the only bike that has ever beaten me and i kinda wish i could buy her back just so i could fix it however i know the bike was parted out by the next owner who also gave up on the "smoky lemon" as it became known i only hope its cursed parts did not cause other bikes to behave badly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mythic, Great story. Maybe someday we can ask the main Head of the Motorpool WTF was the deal. That CB450 Honda I had with the new motor would rev to rdline if you went up slowly, but under WOT it sounded like it had a short cough or choke at about 9-9100rpm (redline I think was 10,000). I tried different jets in each cylinder, new coils/plug wires, new points/condenser, new air cleaner, etc. etc. So just shifted at 9000 but it killed the 1/4-mile times. O well, when I sold it and told new owner, he said he didn't care.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I should of known when I brought that piece of crap suzuki 175 as the seller asked me to sign a letter saying 'as is where is'

Rode it home.

Next morning, 6am start at Auckland Airport to check passengers in and dispatch flight.

Dressed in suit, dark and raining it siezed on the motorway and threw me off.

Suit in rags, blood dripping off me, wet and cold I checked the passengers in and sent flight on its way.

Took bike to shop. They fixed it and then it seized again two weeks later.

I took it back. Parked it in the show room saying the can have the piece of ****.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I should of known when I brought that piece of crap suzuki 175 as the seller asked me to sign a letter saying 'as is where is'

I gave him the money and rode it home.

Next morning, 6am start at Auckland Airport to check passengers in and dispatch flight.

Dressed in suit, dark, and raining it siezed on the motorway and threw me off.

Suit in rags, blood dripping off me, wet and cold I checked the passengers in and sent flight on its way.

I took it back. Parked it in the show room saying the can have the piece of ****.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts

1 - 20 of 48 Posts