GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Motorcycle
I’m trying to learn how to wheelie. Power wheelies nicely in 1st but I want to master the clutch ups. If anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks. And yeah I know I probably shouldn’t be doing them but I think they’re pretty cool lol

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
102 Posts
Nice!! Not trying to preach and it's your skin, please wear a JACKET while practicing!! Please don't ask me why I'm asking. lol

Reactions: Jay Vera

·
Registered
2016 GSXS 1000
59 Posts
Practice makes perfect, wear your gear, cover your rear brake and have fun with it. Start low and build up to 12 o clock wheelies little by little. You should be able to clutch or power up 2nd gear with ease.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Practice makes perfect, wear your gear, cover your rear brake and have fun with it. Start low and build up to 12 o clock wheelies little by little. You should be able to clutch or power up 2nd gear with ease.
Appreciate it. I have to put it into my muscle memory to use the rear break. I always cover it but don’t always use it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In second, ~6k RPMs, pull the clutch in and rev it up to around 9500. Dump the clutch while staying on the throttle, and the front end will pop up.

To get a feel for it, start by only revving it up to 7500ish RPMs and dumping the clutch. It likely won't do anything, but it's better then flipping the bike :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In second, ~6k RPMs, pull the clutch in and rev it up to around 9500. Dump the clutch while staying on the throttle, and the front end will pop up.

To get a feel for it, start by only revving it up to 7500ish RPMs and dumping the clutch. It likely won't do anything, but it's better then flipping the bike :)
I don’t really look at the rpms just give it some gas and dump the clutch. Clutch ups feel a lot smoother and lighter when the front wheel goes up. Just doesn’t work all the time, I need to find the sweet spot. Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
you do not have to do clutch ups.. get up to 15mph 1st gear let off gas when forks compress gas it pull back on handlebars then learn to control throttle after that.. clutching a 1000 really? sounds like you could make some cool videos doing that - so expect to wear out your clutch chain sprockets and tires and blow out your fork seals thats what wheelies do ......

·
Registered
102 Posts
you do not have to do clutch ups.. get up to 15mph 1st gear let off gas when forks compress gas it pull back on handlebars then learn to control throttle after that.. clutching a 1000 really? sounds like you could make some cool videos doing that - so expect to wear out your clutch chain sprockets and tires and blow out your fork seals thats what wheelies do ......
Well I can confirm that this technique works just fine, even works at 30mph!! I just gave it a quick 1/8 throttle and up she came about 6" for about half a bike length. (TC off of course) Thanks Sixstring123#, time to grow a little bigger pair!! LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I can confirm that this technique works just fine, even works at 30mph!! I just gave it a quick 1/8 throttle and up she came about 6" for about half a bike length. (TC off of course) Thanks Sixstring123#, time to grow a little bigger pair!! LOL
let me ride that 750 ninja i could wheelie that awesome bike from first to forth gear...i have an 1986 vfr700 gonna restore it they wheelie just fine as well..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don’t really look at the rpms just give it some gas and dump the clutch. Clutch ups feel a lot smoother and lighter when the front wheel goes up. Just doesn’t work all the time, I need to find the sweet spot. Thanks!
When I started, I also found that clutch-ups worked best for me.

one reason that the clutch-ups don't always work, could be due to the bike already accelerating, I found that if im accelerating to quickly before the clutch-up, the bike jumps forwards rather than coming up as expected, if I use the same process as when the bike is not accelerating before a clutch-up, it was pretty repeatable.
Keeping a constant speed and slowly increasing the amount of throttle you give before releasing the clutch each time will make it a lot easier to anticipate the reaction, eventually you will get to a point where you close the throttle to "stop" the wheel going higher and then you'll start getting into that off-on-off-on-off throttle movements to keep it in the air,
eventually the on-off-on-off movements will get less and less until you get it up straight into the balance point keeping the throttle mostly constant.

Easiet why for me to learn the rear brake was to clutch it up just a little, and immediately get on the rear brake to "stop" the clutchup bringing the front up, even before the front was up at all, that way, you get used to the idea of brining the front down with the rear brake, and now, every few wheelies, I "simulate" as if I went to far up, and then bring the bike down with the rear brake to keep the muscle memory intact...

Also, +1 on wearing your gear, its bad enough when you f*ckup the wheelie and have to pick up pieces, its even worse picking up the pieces with roasties,
..... Please don't ask me why....

·
Registered
102 Posts
let me ride that 750 ninja i could wheelie that awesome bike from first to forth gear...i have an 1986 vfr700 gonna restore it they wheelie just fine as well..
It's even easier now, since I have degreed cams and a 5 degree advancer on the ignition. She wants to flip on me sometimes on the 1/2 power shift at 8000RPMs. So now I shift her at 11500 redline and she does about 2 feet off the ground and carries it about two bikes. Not real good at wheelies, per say, but love my power wheelies!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts