GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Do you have to switch off tc for this bike to wheelie? My old s1000r would do smooth wheelies with tc on, just wondered if this would?

Not thinking about 2 inches off the ground but fairly balanced smooth wheelies.

Pick it up on Wednesday so looking forward to that!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good question. I have been meaning to start a thread on this.

Mine is still in the break-in period, but I did a roll-on in second gear WOT all the way to redline and it did not come up, not even an inch. It was in TC1, so I would have expected it to come up a little, then cut power to put it back down.

Maybe TC has to be off???

·
Registered
305 Posts
You don't have to turn of TC, but the (small/low) wheelies will quickly be ended by the ECU.
My bike(TC=1):
On hard acceleration test it lifts the front wheel in both 1st and sometimes 2nd when in the powerband (+7.5k).
Bumpy and hilly combined with going from decel to full accel the front wheel may come up so quickly that the TC almost have shut off the engine sometimes.
Surprised on more than one occation.

If wheelies is "your thing" a sprocket change is mandatory though. :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm not really a wheelie freak but you can still lift the front wheel going over slight humps or camber changes with the TC on. Nothing big, a foot or so, but enough to make it look like you are having fun:laugh:
On the other hand,with TC1 on, if you want to pull away from the lights and do a dragstrip start. You can ride the clutch out at 6000 rpm and get a nice little power wheelie at 8k which the ECU will drop the front wheel for you and you take off like a dose of salts without the risk of flipping it>:D

So I've heard of course0:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm not really a wheelie freak but you can still lift the front wheel going over slight humps or camber changes with the TC on. Nothing big, a foot or so, but enough to make it look like you are having fun:laugh:
On the other hand,with TC1 on, if you want to pull away from the lights and do a dragstrip start. You can ride the clutch out at 6000 rpm and get a nice little power wheelie at 8k which the ECU will drop the front wheel for you and you take off like a dose of salts without the risk of flipping it>:D

So I've heard of course0:)
I've heard similar.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't do wheelies on purpose because most of my bikes have always had enough power to automatically bring the front up without trying. I've always wondered why the front end on this bike has never come up from day one. Now I know it's the traction control. Thanks for answering that for me.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Traction control, these bikes have traction control?
Yep, if you turn that twisting thing on the right hand side of the handlebar enough you should be able to control how much traction you do not want :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I can't wait to get my bike run-in properly so I can test the grin factor in the different traction control modes. May have to make it semi-scientific and use the DynoMaster Android app to measure a launch in each mode and use the sphincter dyno to measure wheelie height!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have tried to get mine up with TC on,, it ain't happening,, with it off 1st gear powers up nicely with a little pull on the bars,, 2nd has eluded me to this date, not even on a good bounce have I been able to pull it up in 2nd, as for gear reduction? on this bike? It's seriously geared low already, it just don't have the grunt to be a wheelie beast. IMO

·
Registered
328 Posts
I still want to be a bit careful with mine as I'm still running her in, but if you are having trouble with power wheelies, you can always use the clutch kick method to help her up.

Basically, you start her rolling in second, then progressively twist the throttle and at the same time grab and release the clutch lever. The revs will spike when the clutch is pulled and when released up the front wheel goes.

MCN did a cool little video on it ages ago: https://youtu.be/i3_Z96lxyUo

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have tried to get mine up with TC on,, it ain't happening,, with it off 1st gear powers up nicely with a little pull on the bars,, 2nd has eluded me to this date, not even on a good bounce have I been able to pull it up in 2nd, as for gear reduction? on this bike? It's seriously geared low already, it just don't have the grunt to be a wheelie beast. IMO
I disagree, the stock gearing on this bike is really tall. Clutch up in 2nd requires a very quick release, vs my old bike that i could slip the clutch for a slower more controlled rise. Old bike made 20 more hp tho. Gearing on my s1000 is now 1 down/ 3up. Wheelie off idle in 1st. Power up real high in 2nd no problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can't wait to have her broken in so I can try a power wheelie :D! I reckon she'll do those just fine with a hard throttle pull and the right TC mode.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nope! Turn the TC off.
All you will get with it on is a little skip. The TC will cut I and bring the wheel back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think the gearing on this bike is perfect. Any higher would be uncomfortable on the highway (although I think 6th was a bit too close to 5th). And 1st-2nd will easily wheelie. 2nd I can hold down if I'm really leaned forward.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts