GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed even though it has a bend inside its straight thru. Did you just change it for more volume, looks?

I have a M4 slip on currently and also have the stock muffler that came with the bike. I like the looks of the stock muffler as it matches the style/theme of the bike.

I may paint it black and put it back on.

· Registered
177 Posts
Had a matt black stock exhaust on when i decatted my bike, like the look of the stock kept it on for about a year as there was nothing else that really caught my eye with out spending outrageous money, but then saw the sc project that i have now, not only does it look better has less of a high pitch sound so sounds better…
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

· Registered
121 Posts
I LOVE the stock muffler on my '18F. It sounds fantastic, and it blends so well with the overall design. For my purposes, anything else would be a complete waste of money... despite how sexy the Leo Vince Titanium unit looks. ;-)

· Registered
36 Posts
I'm happy with the stock muffler, it fits well with the bike and sounds just right imo..
My bike came without a muffler and had an mt09 sheild grafted onto it .looked OK but slightly too loud as in line with your ear, luckily the dealer paid to put it right!!

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Had a matt black stock exhaust on when i decatted my bike, like the look of the stock kept it on for about a year as there was nothing else that really caught my eye with out spending outrageous money, but then saw the sc project that i have now, not only does it look better has less of a high pitch sound so sounds better…
View attachment 50076
Really nice looking bike! Nice choice on the exhaust!

· Registered
85 Posts
The stock muffler is a stubby little thing and, to me, looks beautiful and functional. However, I was also surprised to see it contains...nothing. So not functional. As far as I can tell, it's to keep the air off the rear tire? No, seriously, what does it do that Suzuki charges $1100?

I think the majority of sound dampening is done in that rectangular box underneath and to the rear of the engine. If you were to replace stock with an open slip-on then would it even make a difference in sound?

· Registered
177 Posts
The stock muffler is a stubby little thing and, to me, looks beautiful and functional. However, I was also surprised to see it contains...nothing. So not functional. As far as I can tell, it's to keep the air off the rear tire? No, seriously, what does it do that Suzuki charges $1100?

I think the majority of sound dampening is done in that rectangular box underneath and to the rear of the engine. If you were to replace stock with an open slip-on then would it even make a difference in sound?
pretty much…. No……

even decatted, i have found the change from stock to sc project only altered the tone and not the noise… but i do like it….

although think it may keep me from going on track days as i dont think it meets 100Db level.

· Registered
21 Posts
Stock 2016 1000 here.
I think it sounds great.
Some other bikes sound like sewing machines and definitely need upgrades but the gsx doesn’t.

Sometimes I even have people asking about what my exhaust is. And surprised it’s 100% stock.
I think there are much better mods to do on this bike. So good thing the exhaust isn’t taking money away from other upgrades.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have any of you that decatted cut the cover off the box to see how it's configured inside?
wondering if someone has made a custom mid pipe for after the servo valve and kept the first cat and servo valve?

I would be inteeested to see inside the box

· Registered
21 Posts
@Senecagreen have you tried googling it?

I found this about the mid-pipe and keeping the EXCV etc:
YOUTUBE VIDEO - 2018 GSXS 1000 Mid-Pipe Installation & De-Cat Project

ebay - mid-pipe 15-20 GSX-S 1000

___

Alright, I was wondering about the layout when I got my bike and there wasn't one single clear picture... so I made it.
This isn't about what is inside the silencer box, but you can see how you'd be able to cut just after the EXCV cables bracket (IN GREEN) and drill out the left over of the cat mesh inside. the youtube video above shows it.

-- NOTE: should you decide to disconnect the EXCV cables from the valve pulley, the pulley stays in the full open position. --

👇👇👇👇👇 Hope it helps a few people here 👇👇👇👇👇

Font Helmet Machine Engineering Elbow

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. Its a high flo cat, the bike makes 145hp. was curious about how its configured in the box. But I see the header, cat, box is all one piece...

It's a lot of work to cut after the cat, before the box and make a mid pipe that incorporates the original hanger/mount location and winds up exactly where the original muffler connects.

If I picked up a used header off ebay I would open it up and look but probably minimal reward for all that work but it would still be EPA legal keeping the cat and valve.

I am sure a lot of work went into configuring that box to deaden sound and maintain power just like the stock muffler.

Just curious about those kinds of things and I fabricate so it's enjoyable work for me.

· Registered
3 Posts
I like the looks of the stock muffler quite a bit and the sound isn't too bad,a little high pitched for me. I have a shorty coming in with a new heat shield. I took the muffler off and ride it one time and the sound wasn't obnoxious because of the huge cat on this thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts