GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Was considering a second bike to use during winter but thought about saving the cash and putting it in to my gsxs.
So any feedback on winter useability, wear, care etc etc appreciated. Tyre choice, maintenance ect..
General info from experience is valued.
I live in UK so yeah, usual winter crap 馃檪
Cheers

Registered
Do they salt the roads in your locale? Motorcycles do not receive the same corrosion resistance as cars do so it would likely rust badly if ridden on road salt.

Definitely keep the TC on 3, I once spun the rear tire in 6th gear on a cold morning.

Registered
Texas here. We ride year round. Not sure what this question is all about. :D

Registered
Time of year doesn't matter to me my cutoff is around 45掳-49掳f beacause of the lack of wind protection on a naked and tires don't warm up well. Plus getting bundled up more than that just takes the fun out of it. That said if a 50掳+ day rolls through in the winter I will ride somewhere.

Registered
I do, but winters aren鈥檛 that bad here in NC. I have heated grips, and am very careful when riding to work on 30 degree mornings...doesn鈥檛 take much to cause a slide until the tires warm up some. They do use salt and brine here... I just make sure to wash the bike soon after any riding in a salty environment. Other than that, it鈥檚 business as usual.

I used to ride a lot in the winter when I lived in CO. I always drove on snowy days, but rode a lot in low-teen temps in the mornings. That was , rough but kind of fun. I don鈥檛 think I could physically handle that anymore....

Registered
Yep, all year round rider in NZ. Have covered 42,000 km and as soon as the horrible 50 profile OEM D214 pure sport tyres were worn out (3700km), I went to 55 profile sport touring hoops. Very happy with the Roadtec 01's in all weathers and they stood up well on a trackday too. The rears lasted for about 11000 km. More recently, I've been using Road 5's and have been very happy with them too.

Cheers,

Geoff

Registered
Was considering a second bike to use during winter but thought about saving the cash and putting it in to my gsxs.
So any feedback on winter useability, wear, care etc etc appreciated. Tyre choice, maintenance ect..
General info from experience is valued.
I live in UK so yeah, usual winter crap 馃檪
Cheers
i use mine all year round , unless theres snow laying.
Give the bike a liberal coating of ACF 50 before the salt spreading starts, keep the chain well lubed. i am running michelin pilot 3 at the moment and through last winter , no problems at all . Heated gloves are a must for me tho :)

Registered
If the roads are clear, I ride. Can't all year round, in Utah we sometimes go weeks at a time with snow and ice on the roads, but temperature has never deterred me.

Registered
If the roads are clear, I ride. Can't all year round, in Utah we sometimes go weeks at a time with snow and ice on the roads, but temperature has never deterred me.
We live in the same general vicinity, and I agree with the "weeks at a time" when the roads are just too messy. And even if it's just wet (no snow), there is too much salt on the road and usually too cold to wash the bike afterwards. I admit that I'm a sissy and usually don't ride below freezing either. I have some e-gloves for the 35F to 45F range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts