GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the entire morning searching for a Toby steering stabilizer. Finally finding Nitron, they sent me to K-tech, no one has them. 3 weeks to order - his best price was $495. I pleaded for a Covid 19 discount, was declined. Thinking about it, I called back, told him about the Forum, asked if I could get an order for 3 units, could we get a bigger discount?

If anyone is interested, I need 2 more people to commit, if I order 3 units at the same time we would receive another 10% discount, would be $445 each shipped in U.S.

If you are in, please email me for easier communication

[email protected]

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some good info on install

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cant help you on the purchase front, but ill shameless plug for the damper. I have one on my bike, helps a fair bit on taming the twitchy front end in my case.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great to hear IWas!

Well, in all my searching for a steering damper, there is one less expensive from Italy FG Gubellini, but no mounting details on the website (I'm waiting for a reply to my email) nor color options, and Max Racing in Brazil (waiting for reply to my email).

I just received an email from a different U.S. suspension company, saying my contact to Toby was referred to them, and they are now the U.S. distributor for Toby. Waiting to hear back with their price. I'll post back when I get it.

In the end, I would prefer to work with a U.S. seller in case of any warranty issues.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good price. One of the first mods I did was to install this. You have to cut a section of the plastic housing covering the ignition post so the damper bracket can clamp around the ignition post but it was simple enough to do with a dremel and cutting wheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, so I was contacted by Fast Bike Industries ( Suspension - Fast Bike industries, Llc ) a few days ago, gent named Burch, saying they are now the U.S. distributor for Toby racing. Their website does not yet reflect that.They are a suspension shop, and distribute many name brands. His price on the Toby stabilizer is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than what I quoted above.

He is placing a large order with Toby this week, I ordered one in black, I pay when it arrives in U.S.

So if you want one at a much much better price, contact Burch at Fast Bike Industries. Mention you heard about it on this Forum.

I'll keep this thread updated with any new news.

P.S. I also communicated with Max Racing in Brazil ( Amortecedores ) who make a circular stabilizer (like GPR), approx $350, made in Brazil, actually looks decent, several color options, easy and clean mounting system similar to Toby (have to cut out the plastic key shroud). But as I said prior, I will go with a U.S. seller in case of a warranty issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started looking into this as well recently and below are the options I found :
1. Toby Steering damper - the one @Rapido1 is following up on. The price is - $427.50 (from here - http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/) - but not sure if it includes shipping/tax. This one mounts to the stem of the ignition/key barrel. Doesn't look like any drilling is required other than some trimming of the plastic shroud.
1.a . Ktech also has a similar/same damper - potentially with a ktech brand damper body : K-Tech Suspension Linear Steering Damper Kit
2. Max Racing - Amortecedores - I havn't yet reached out since I have a handlebar riser and doubt it would work for me.
3. FGGubellini dampers : https://www.fggubellini.com/en/kste/2101-steering-dampers-kit.html - . This one can be available from their US importers 2 To 4 Wheels . I am trying to find out the complexity for installation before making a decision as I like how this looks (https://forosuzukimotos.com/topic/9071-amortiguadores-de-dirección-steering-damper-para-motos-suzuki-gsx-s1000/) . The price quoted to me was $399 (including tax) + $20 for shipping and a potential lead time of 1 to 2 weeks.

I will update this thread once I get more information.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I tweaked my suspension & the need for a steering damper seems somewhat overkill for this bike. Its not a Gixxer , ZX10 or an R1.
Are you opting for this because of the potentiality of tank slapping?

I had slight wobbles at 150
watched Dave Moss tuning & entertained his advice over 2 days
refined my setup , hit 160 with no wobble at all

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will probably look it up as well. I have experienced some wobble under hard acceleration > 100mph. It is a very gradual/gentle wobble - but makes me wonder if it would go out of hand if any road bump were to amplify it at regular freeway speeds too. I understand that slight wobble might be because of the front end getting light during hard acceleration - but a damper might come in handy if a wobble gets initiated at lower freeway speeds. Just as an insurance - like ABS/Traction control.

·
Registered
182 Posts
wobble c
I will probably look it up as well. I have experienced some wobble under hard acceleration > 100mph. It is a very gradual/gentle wobble - but makes me wonder if it would go out of hand if any road bump were to amplify it at regular freeway speeds too. I understand that slight wobble might be because of the front end getting light during hard acceleration - but a damper might come in handy if a wobble gets initiated at lower freeway speeds. Just as an insurance - like ABS/Traction control.
it could be a Multitude of reasons but normally it's when the front & Rear suspension are not balanced & as the from wheel leaves the floor the & makes contact again it isn't in-line with the rear creating a non-equilibrium state.

the wobble is the bike trying to balance itself. the harder you fight it the worse it is

Tank Slapper with Dave Moss

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This thread is not about WHY we want a steering stabilizer. It’s about who wants one.

Just got an email from Burch, Toby order delayed due to Covid, but they’re now on the way, and are WAY less than $400. Contact fast bike industries (see above)

and Pulsar - the “K-Tech“ damper in the photo is the Toby.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tweaked my suspension & the need for a steering damper seems somewhat overkill for this bike. Its not a Gixxer , ZX10 or an R1.
Are you opting for this because of the potentiality of tank slapping?

I had slight wobbles at 150
watched Dave Moss tuning & entertained his advice over 2 days
refined my setup , hit 160 with no wobble at all
Well, just went through all those videos and found front end too stiff and rear shock really soft. After some adjustment - no head shakes at all and the geometry has improved to make turn in sharper - thanks @Gixis1k

This thread is not about WHY we want a steering stabilizer. It’s about who wants one.

Just got an email from Burch, Toby order delayed due to Covid, but they’re now on the way, and are WAY less than $400. Contact fast bike industries (see above)

and Pulsar - the “K-Tech“ damper in the photo is the Toby.
Agree, sorry for the distract. @Rapido1 - I did mail Fast Bike industries but did not hear back. Any specific email you have contacted them on? . I am interested - you think you can PM me the contact you have?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi have been communicating with Burch, his email is [email protected].

Mention this this thread on the Forum by Jeff, that we are trying to put together a few Toby orders for him.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the Tobys finally arrived at Fast Bike Industries, mine‘s in the mail. Well under $400 shipped. Contact Burch to order while they last. He says he has received a few orders from Forum Members.

will post pics when installed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got mine delivered today, thanks @Rapido1 for starting this and for doing the bulk of the work getting the US distributor for the damper!! Also recommend FastBikeIndustries/Burch([email protected]) for the purchase in US - good communication and great price! Will share pics soon.

IMG_20200629_145934.jpg IMG_20200629_150218.jpg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You’re welcome! Wonder how many other Forum members have ordered as well? I also ordered black, looks good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts