GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cmon everyone, this is a bloody liter class beast that goes from 0-100 kph in 2.6 secs. I know it has the power mines the faired one, but my friend who owns a zx6r 636 out runs me everytime, he reaches close to 290 on his 636cc bike. What the he'll I own a 1000cc monster and I have more bhp and torque than his bike. At max I reached 250kmph... ****.. Why is it so

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i get it now. Well I love my bike, thing is I just expected a bit more top speed from the k5 motor. Some where between 260 to 280. The gsxr 1000 goes 300 on stock but you would never get the ergonomics you get with this bike. It's super comfortable and sporty at the same time. I hope the next iteration of this bike gets a lil more top speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
250kmh =155mph. That's pretty good. I know what you're saying though I got my 2003zx6rr up to 265kmh +/- 165mph. Today I hit 140mph/225kmh on the gsx. To be honest I'm fine with that on this bike. I don't need more for sure.. there was a reason I switched from a pure sport bike to this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There's an easy remedy to this problem, if you require it: TURBO! No need for aero then, just a good grip so you can hang on! The K5-K8 engine is a good platform for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Change your sprockets man, Go down 2 on the rear and if that don't do what you what you want go up 1 on the front,, the GSX-R carried that gear ratio 17/42 plus another 2k+ RPMS of course it'd do 190mph after the speed limiter was removed
I'm pretty sure this bike is 16/44, or you can put a 190\55 on it,, or you can reflash and have your rev limiter stretched out to 12k and gain a couple more MPH or in your case KmPH

·
Registered
285 Posts
Where i ride track days i find that i can out run bikes that have a higher top speed because of the great acceleration of the GSXS , where i live you can't use high top speed on the street without fear the thought police will confiscate your machine and fine you to death, so for me the quick acceleration is worth more than top speed !!! Also as aussie champion Mic Doohan once said in an after race interview
"any fool can go fast in a straight line'' it's corner speed that shows talent"

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cmon everyone, this is a bloody liter class beast that goes from 0-100 kph in 2.6 secs. I know it has the power mines the faired one, but my friend who owns a zx6r 636 out runs me everytime, he reaches close to 290 on his 636cc bike. What the he'll I own a 1000cc monster and I have more bhp and torque than his bike. At max I reached 250kmph... ****.. Why is it so
why is it so ? That's the question Professor Julius Sumner Miller always posed on his science show back in the days of black and white tv and triumph 650's were super bikes .
Iam glad you reached 250 shows you are trying , but really if top speed is your thing you bought the wrong bike , sell it quick before you fall in love with it and buy a kwakka H2 turbo supercharged thingymebob. There are bikes out there capable of speeds their owners will never see, but bragging rights in the pub are more important ,
Ah mate my bike will do 2 squillion miles an hour so i must have balls the size of Mt everest just to have bought it. Excuse me but seriously how often do you go 250 kph ? If regularly **** i wish i lived in your country . And i am sorry but i have friends with kwakka 636 's and 290kph is total bullshit to put it politely. If he outruns you maybe you need to do some advanced rider / track day training to get your corner speed up cos if there was a 636 pulling 290 he's pulling his pudding and your chain. PS enjoy the terribly slow ride on your GSXS before you buy a 636 cos you will be sorry when its sold >:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you buy a naked bike for testing top-speed you have probably missed the point of a naked bike.

Still, a derestricted (<check>) GSXS will easily do 260km/h on any good motorway if you try :)

A "plastic-fantastic" racer bike is designed for track use even though most of their buyers do not race. They are more into polishing/bragging about their bikes I think, like most bikers btw. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Change your sprockets man, Go down 2 on the rear and if that don't do what you what you want go up 1 on the front,, the GSX-R carried that gear ratio 17/42 plus another 2k+ RPMS of course it'd do 190mph after the speed limiter was removed
I'm pretty sure this bike is 16/44, or you can put a 190\55 on it,, or you can reflash and have your rev limiter stretched out to 12k and gain a couple more MPH or in your case KmPH
Wow thumps up for your suggestions mate, will experiment. A bit scared to reflash mod, if not ridden properly may blow up the engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why is it so ? That's the question Professor Julius Sumner Miller always posed on his science show back in the days of black and white tv and triumph 650's were super bikes .
Iam glad you reached 250 shows you are trying , but really if top speed is your thing you bought the wrong bike , sell it quick before you fall in love with it and buy a kwakka H2 turbo supercharged thingymebob. There are bikes out there capable of speeds their owners will never see, but bragging rights in the pub are more important ,
Ah mate my bike will do 2 squillion miles an hour so i must have balls the size of Mt everest just to have bought it. Excuse me but seriously how often do you go 250 kph ? If regularly **** i wish i lived in your country . And i am sorry but i have friends with kwakka 636 's and 290kph is total bullshit to put it politely. If he outruns you maybe you need to do some advanced rider / track day training to get your corner speed up cos if there was a 636 pulling 290 he's pulling his pudding and your chain. PS enjoy the terribly slow ride on your GSXS before you buy a 636 cos you will be sorry when its sold

Well I never said anything about selling my bike, did I.

I have ridden the zx6r also, yes I admit it has the topend power and it revs way higher, but I felt like I lost something that puts a smile on your face, yes I am talking about torque,

For the record we simply did a drag the other day to test our bikes, got a long empty stretch in the early morning. i don't ride at those speeds anyway, I enjoy twisties and corner carving, gives me way more immense pleasure than twisting the throttle and tucking at light speed like a maniac.

And as expected my bike took off like a rocket in every d a M n gear, it was only after 230kph he started closing on to me. It was amazing, but from then on he simply kept going on and my bike struggled to get past 250kph. I think I reached 255 hitting the Rev limit.

And yes he reached nearing 290, no joke
There are plenty of videos on YouTube of zx6r, r6 etc reaching 290+ on the speedo. Go search.

·
Registered
285 Posts
my svs 1000 would show much much higher top speed when i changed the gearing for quicker acceleration 230 at an actual 210 etc , but it wasn't actually doing those speeds so sorry i really can't accept a standard 636 = 290kph top speed but hey what do i know , 260 , 275 feasible ....... and glad you're not selling however do you really want to lose that rush of acceleration to get a theoretical high top speed you want but won't actually need or use . You may get to 290 but the 636 will have out gunned you in every gear on the way there and you may need e very long straight to get there . Amazing top speeds have been reached on honda race 50cc bikes back in the day but i think they had 20 or more gears . Anyhow enjoy the ride and modify away until you get what you want this is one good fun bike

·
Registered
86 Posts
The gsxs1000 is 17/44 stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an answer to that 636 as i have done in the past on track day. I always own them in the track with my gsxr-750, owners always swear they are fast. I always prove them wrong on the track. As the 636 will be doing however fast they go on the street. i will be easily relaxing and enjoying the view on my gsx1k if they pass me they are fast. Maybe i just mellowed because of my older age. I still do track days and will only ride 110% on the track. Soon my beloved GSXR-750 track bike will be sold to a youngster who will be enjoying it as i Have. So If you wanna go fast gentleman please take it to the track. Safer for you and everyone else around you. As for the GSX1K Its fast enough watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIj8mu0EG5o

·
Registered
285 Posts
my friend took the 636 to phillip island moto gp track and got 240 in 5th gear down main, very long straight. They race here in Perth and were just having fun on their personal day ride bike , but they do LOVE to go fast , their estimate 260 maybe 275 max flat out in 6th if you found a long enough straight, and Phillip Island has one LOONG straight using standard gearing. They ride with me at the Perth track and their comment , " no way we could outrun your GSXS .. but hey what do i know ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts