GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might like some feedback. I've been looking for a sports tourer to replace my triumph street triple. Wanting to do some touring. Did my research and test road quite a few bikes including gsxs1000 and the 1000f.
The 1000f was top of my preferred list but I held off because of the throttle issues but more importantly a poor pillion seat and poor luggage availability. In all other respects it ticked all the boxes. Oh one other thing it was too much like my street triple, very eager to go go go. Not happy cruising along at touring speeds, just not relaxed. It was funny that at 110kph it was doing 1000rpm less than the triumph but still sounded very frantic. I wanted something a bit more relaxed after the street triple. Something that could be both sporty and a tourer.
Eventually found a private sale that was too good to miss. A 2015 Honda vfr800f with full luggage and insert bags and touring screen and tank bag with only 1600km and a great price.
Ticks all the boxes with superb smooth quality but I do miss the explosive power of the street triple and Gsx although I can kick in the vtec on the v4 which sounds superb. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good to see you are happy with your purchase and no the GSXS isn't for everyoneas the pillion seat is small, there is luggage available and also a throttle tamer will fix the snatch issue and the go go feeling completely so an easy fix there but enjoy your new ride

·
Registered
355 Posts
We don't give a **** dude. Most of us here bought a GSXS and thats about all we care about. If I want to see Honda's I will go to the relevant web page. Cya.
What a complete lack of grace on your part. It's always interesting to hear about another rider's experience with different bikes, especially the ones we currently ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you read carefully you would see it was the gsxs 1000f at the top of my list, which is quite capable of touring. Geoff is absolutely correct. You guys taking offence forget that I really liked the 1000f it just didn't quite suit my purpose.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is good. How silly would it have been if Suzuki cloned the vfr 800? The vfr 800 is a great bike, but Id never be will into to give up 40 hp, 30lbs of weight, and pay its extra cost (new).

So, yes. All bikes are different. Thank you?

I was headed over to the Harley sportster forum to tell them why I did not select the sportster, anyone else going?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My previous bike was a sports tourer (RF900). I've found while I'd like to get away on the bike for longer periods, it rarely happens and so when shopping for a new bike recently the things that were on the top of the checklist last time dropped below the less practical items this time.

I ended up with the GSX-S as it met the more upright seating position I was used to box, but most importantly it ticked the 'fun' box!

Bikes like the VFR didn't even get a look in on the list. Why would it? It's in a different segment for different purposes.

The most important thing is that you are happy with your purchase - enjoy the ride whatever it's on :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you dont do the work yourself, you'll wish you had the Suzuki when the valve adjustment is due on the vfr. Figure 700 if you find a bargain price.

As with the concours 14, the vtec is an answer to the question no one asked.

The vfr's riding position is silly for a 530lb, 100hp machine. It might have been ok in 1998, but not now. Why would, or should a touring bike have a sport riding position? Speaking of 1998, thats the other thing, Many argue the 98 vfr is a better bike than the current model.

So, for sure its passenger seat is bigger, but when choosing it over the suzuki, or a kawasaki ninja 1000, it went down some thought path i'd never have.

SHWA, if you gave me a clean, nice rf900 and some money for suspension and brake upgrades, I could build that bike to run with anything available today.

That was such a cool bike. Built to a budget, but that never really detracted from what it was.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welp been for a 100 mile ride today on the not run in yet gsx-s1000, with nothing altered... and have to say at this moment in time I'm leaning towards me old SV1000 ..... !!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry, not wishing to attack freedom of speech, but I don't give a rat's ar$e why the GSX-S isn't for you, much like the guys over at the S1000R forum don't want (and didn't get) a report from me on why I didn't like my test ride on their favoured steed. Personal choice is exactly that, not everyone is going to like every bike for a multitude of reasons... imagine what bike specific forums would look like if everyone who decided not to buy one posted why.

Sure, the GSX-S isn't perfect and I've had to throw a few hundred at it to address one of it's shortcomings, but that's the real power of bike specific forums like this, the ability to draw on a massive amount of real world experience on our bikes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pjcliffo, Afraid I lost enthusiam for the VFR based on cost of valve adjust which was quoted to me as close to $900 here in Scottsdale. Now I saw the reply by either Motorcyclist or Cycle World that stated Honda of Hollywood has never had to adjust any they checked so...they implied they don't need it. My feel is, if that is so why doesn't Honda advertise the bike as such with no such maintenance even required(?). Also, I'm a through back and a V-four like this, or a Vmax , to me doesn't sound like a bike, but more like a car. I love the chuncky-chatty GSXS exhaust when at a steady 2500-3000 rpm. Anyway, enjoy the bike. The game ain't over and maybe someday the GSXS-type bike will fill the bill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the naked and I tour the ass off mine. I've done 8000km in 3 months of (a lot of) open road riding. Glad nobody told me it wasn't good for touring because I love it... Should have seen the locals faces when I turned up with it on a tiny little island 100 miles offshore....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pjcliffo,theres a bike for every person
if the gsxs aint for you oh well
we are all biker brothers no matter what kind of bike
ride safe and enjoy!
cheers bud!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts