GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed my Wilbers 641 over the weekend on my 2018 f . From start to finish it took a couple of hours (worked slowly).

Started by removing side panels and right rear fairing. Placed bike on ABBA stand so the rear wheel is off the ground and swing arm is hanging free.
Placed my pitbull behind rear wheel with chocks so I could easily raise the swing arm as needed.
Removed rear brake cylinder, loosened exhaust bracket (Arrow exhaust - so lots of room) and removed the 3 bolts from the cush rod, bottom of shock & top of shock; and shock then dropped right out. If you have OEM exhaust, it may entail removing part of the exhaust.

Installed the Wilbers by lowering the shock in from above the swing arm; and running the reservoir out by the rear brake cylinder and then to the back of the bike.
Bolted the up shock and cush rod & torqued to spec.

Installed the reservoir to the UNDERSIDE of the the seat latching mechanism; re-installed the fairing and presto - all done.

Did have to spend some time adjusting the SAG; and will re-check it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes, with stock headers you’ll need to remove them before dropping the shock.

I did the shock swap before the arrow headers and regretted it. Get the new headers on before the shock. Or at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Are you happy with Wilber’s? I’m thinking of going with there cheaper style shock,

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm waiting for my 641. I had a 30mm shorter 640 with remote hydraulic preload adjustment but unfortunately the factory had a person who got things wrong twice on spring rating. He's no longer at wilbers. So traded it in for 641 std lenght and I'm going to use lust lowering triangles as I'm short leg length. I was hoping someone had mounted the reservoir for high/low adjuster underneath like nitron or k-tek. Thats where I'd prefer to mount it on left side nr rear foot rest hanger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, with stock headers you’ll need to remove them before dropping the shock.

I did the shock swap before the arrow headers and regretted it. Get the new headers on before the shock. Or at the same time.

I changed the rear shock on mine and didn't have to touch the stock exhaust?:confused:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I changed the rear shock on mine and didn't have to touch the stock exhaust?:confused:

Neither did I. All you have to do is take the links off and move the swing arm up and down to get the clearance to fit the new one and it’s in. The only thing I had to think about was removing the rear brake reservoir to remove the top bolt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I changed the rear shock on mine and didn't have to touch the stock exhaust?/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

Neither did I. All you have to do is take the links off and move the swing arm up and down to get the clearance to fit the new one and it’s in. The only thing I had to think about was removing the rear brake reservoir to remove the top bolt.

Did you remove anything to feed the nitrogen reservoir up under the rear seat?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Did you remove anything to feed the nitrogen reservoir up under the rear seat?
Mine doesn't fit under the seat I have it external. It fits on a bracket on the rear left foot peg. I did have to feed the reservoir up through the swinger first and then feed the shock up afterwards.
It was a bit of a fiddle and I would suggest keeping the shock wrapped in a T clothe or a bit of bubble wrap to avoid any scratches

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While cleaning my bike earlier this week, I noticed fluid leaking under my pillion where my external reservoir & banjo connect on my Wilbers 941. Upon closer examination, I found the hose / banjo union was the actual leak point. I contacted EPM Wilbers in NJ and they will warranty it / repair it in NJ or replace. So I removed it and shipped it Wednesday; and reinstalled my OEM shock. Took it out for a ride..............and...............well, I will be glad when the Wilbers is returned. To me, going from a good shock to a bad shock is more noticeable than the change from a bad shock to a good shock.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have got to get this done. I think I compressed a vertebrae this morning!

My problem is that instead, I keep looking for a nice clean gsxr1000 to add to the garage..

·
Registered
675 Posts

My problem is that instead, I keep looking for a nice clean gsxr1000 to add to the garage..
Do the shock, i've spent a fair chunk of change on decat, mufflers, seats etc. The shock is the best money i've spent.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Sounds like your road maintenance is at the bottom end of the Budget must do's list too.

R's are better on the tailbones as you've got more weight on your arms and hand's.
Your aR'se is less in line perpendicularly with the rising rear wheel on a firm suspension - that's my experience anyway. The racehorse Jockey on the stirrups out of the saddle position.

Rob.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sounds like your road maintenance is at the bottom end of the Budget must do's list too.

R's are better on the tailbones as you've got more weight on your arms and hand's.
Your aR'se is less in line perpendicularly with the rising rear wheel on a firm suspension - that's my experience anyway. The racehorse Jockey on the stirrups out of the saddle position.

Rob.
I've always wanted a true sport bike, but always ended up getting Bandits or Vmaxs, etc. So, as I'm not getting any younger, thought I would give it a go.

I like the newer style '17 and '18 models and can get a slightly used '17 for about $8500 so I might as well do it.:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine doesn't fit under the seat I have it external. It fits on a bracket on the rear left foot peg. I did have to feed the reservoir up through the swinger first and then feed the shock up afterwards.
It was a bit of a fiddle and I would suggest keeping the shock wrapped in a T clothe or a bit of bubble wrap to avoid any scratches
Hey Beaker, any pics of your external mount setup? I am not crazy about the under the seat option myself.

Thanks, JT

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Mines a Hyperpro with high and low speed compression. I also have a Ventura system fitted for when I go touring. As you can see, it’s not too obtrusive and very easy to get at the adjusters. I expect all makes will look very similar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts