GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the stock screen diverts wind pressure from the torso, the helmet is still fully in the windstream. It seems any aftermarket that keeps the same angle would never divert airflow over your helmet since when I'm riding I'm looking straight down the screen or even seeing the front of it. Has anyone tried shimming out the top mounting holes to get a steeper angle on the screen? Wouldn't want to create additional buffeting, though. Do any of the aftermarket screens have a steeper angle?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
While the stock screen diverts wind pressure from the torso, the helmet is still fully in the windstream. It seems any aftermarket that keeps the same angle would never divert airflow over your helmet since when I'm riding I'm looking straight down the screen or even seeing the front of it. Has anyone tried shimming out the top mounting holes to get a steeper angle on the screen? Wouldn't want to create additional buffeting, though. Do any of the aftermarket screens have a steeper angle?

Hi Gary,
I can't answer our immediate question, but be aware that if you raise the height of the screen, the displaced air as well as travelling upwards also is pushed sideways and pull back in behind the screen. This side ways air forms spirals which may pump air in under your helmet and result in a lot of extra noise. You may luckily find the vortex is away from your body but it has never been my experience. Also the air runs up your arms and reacts at the shoulder area making more turbulences.
This is what I experience on my VFR12F at moderate speeds as a faired bike.
My old ST1300 had a large electric screen. When full up at 110 kph, it made his shocking vacuum on my back like someone's knee pressing there.
Windscreens are why I went for the Naked GSXS - it's quieter in the natural air flow, and no issue for me on my N unless I am behind a large vehicle that spirals the airflow on the highway. Bulky jackets are a pain though as they make a windsock effect.

Rob.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts