GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I tested out 4 windshield configurations on my GSX-S1000F.

I tested:
  • MRA RM Racing windshield
  • California Scientific Medium Clear windshield
  • stock F windshield
  • removed windshield
Removed windshield and stock windshield were surprisingly similar -- demonstrating how poor the stock windscreen operates as a....windscreen. Stock windscreen looks best to me, however, as it seems best integrated with the styling of the bike.

The CalSci windshield was better at deflecting wind from my body, but there was a lot of turbulence RIGHT around the base of my helmet. I am 6'6", so this windshield would probably work really well for a shorter person. I think the CalSci would be downright peaceful if you were 6' or under. My biggest complaint with the CalSci is that the front brake master cylinder contacts the windscreen when the bar is turned all the way.

The MRA Racing windshield seemed to have better aero vs the CalSci, on a high speed run. It looks the strangest, but I like how funky it is and let's face it....these F models aren't the belle of the ball. It accentuates the bike's 'scooter' look a bit, which is funny to me. It's my literscooter. It also looks a bit like an exotic bird. All of this aesthetic speculation aside, the MRA windshield doesn't bring the airflow above my helmet, but it hits me in a very comfortable position on my upper chest. It is much more stable at triple-digit speeds than the stock screen. I think its build quality is a touch better than the CalSci.

So I'm keeping the MRA. That said, I think CalSci was an absolute pleasure to work with -- not only does an actual human pick up the phone when you call, he may have helped design the windshield. They're a great company.

I would have liked to test the MRA Touring screen, but it was backordered from Twisted Throttle. I'd love to hear from anybody who has tried both the Racing and Touring screen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was thinking of having both CalSci screens

Tall for winter and long trips - looks like the most wind protection available
Shorter for summer

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I was not unhappy with the stock windshield but I found a cheap tinted version on ebay (not the same seller but looks identical) and decided to try it. It's the same height and general shape of the stock shield, but does have a slight double bubble configuration. When I installed it, I hadn't had enough miles with the stock shield to do a really good comparison, but I think is as good as stock, and maybe better at highway speeds. Keep in mind that I have fought the windshield battle on multiple bikes, I hate buffeting, and am biased towards having a good helmet and my head in the wind with my torso protected.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm running the ebay screen linked above (or something nearly identical). I still get buffeting right at the base of my helmet causing excessive noise, even with earplugs and a fancy Shoei GT Air helmet. That screen was so cheap I thought I might try cutting it down in increments to see if that would help. But from what you said about the MRA, I might give it a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg -- having both CalSci screens would be cool. It's cumbersome to switch between stock and aftermarket screens, but switching between CalSci screens is very easy. Having the tinted screen in the summer, and clear screen in the shoulder months, would be a great look. As long as you aren't bothered by the interference between the handlebars and the windscreen.

mike d -- Interesting!! I might have to buy that windshield, just to try it out. The price is right. I am also biased towards having a good helmet, but at my height, the wind protection from the F was embarrassing. I needed slightly better protection from a motorcycle with fairings.

G-Dub -- The MRA looks goofy, but it's the best for me. Depending on your height, the CalSci might be better for you. If you are below 6 ft, and don't mind the minor contact, the CalSci could be great. I see that you purchased an MRA in another thread...good for you! It's leagues better than the stock windscreen.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have an extra stock screen and want to cut it down. I used the Powerbronze screen on my first bike and wasn't crazy about it - it's probably the best looking of the aftermarket screens, but was more of a change rather than an improvement.

If I had time and money I might do a custom screen w/ CalSci - I think they're into it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have the cheap tinted screen mentioned above and am happy with it. I'm 6'-4" and it hits me on the chest under my helmet. Do get some air pushed up under helmet even though I have a chin curtain. The tinted screen improves the look of the bike, the clear one made it invisible and looking unfinished with the fairings.

·
Registered
379 Posts
One thing I haven't yet understood: I used to have a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, and I never felt the wind hit me below maybe 85mph. The screen certainly isn't tall, so I don't get what's so different - why it can't be done on the GSX-S w/o a huge hideous screen. Does ours maybe start lower? It doesn't look that different size wise.

·
Registered
541 Posts
One thing I haven't yet understood: I used to have a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, and I never felt the wind hit me below maybe 85mph. The screen certainly isn't tall, so I don't get what's so different - why it can't be done on the GSX-S w/o a huge hideous screen. Does ours maybe start lower? It doesn't look that different size wise.

Ours lies a little more horizontal, and comes to a much sharper point, than that; and our point is a little further forward. Ours cuts through the air where the Sprint slams into it.

Imagine a circle in the air that the bike is going to pass through. As the nose of the bike passes through the circle, the air that was there has to be pushed out of the way. Ultimately the same (or nearly enough) cross-sectional area of air has to be moved out of the way for both bikes. With the longer and sharper point, that cross-section is pushed a little ways out at a time, requiring less force and taking place over a greater distance, as the point passes through that circle. This means that the pressure in all directions at any instant will be less. Though it's not entirely accurate, you can think of the pressure on the air like a force pushing a block across a table from one fixed point to another. If you push hard and fast, the block will coast further past the end point than if you push lightly and slowly.

There's a lot more complexity that goes into, but hopefully that's sufficient to get what's going on. The triumph is pushing the air harder for a shorter time resulting in a larger area of displaced air.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My theory has been it's the cutouts for the mirrors. The shield is pretty narrow just below the 'tabs' at the top, which probably do nothing but aggravate air flow.

Just for kicks, here's an overlay :) I scaled the bikes by matching the rear wheel size, then aligned them where the tank and seat meet. The Sprint has lower bars so the rider's head would be a little lower, and since the mirrors are bolted to the fairing the screen is wider.

Now that I think about it, I test rode a GS650F and didn't feel much wind at ~90mph. Ok for grins again, I did an overlay, lol. These bikes are remarkably similar in shape. The 650F has the mirrors bolted to the fairing, and again the screen is a little wider up top because of it. Pretty much the same angles/profile, but it does sit up just a touch taller with respect to the rider (seat and bars are both a little lower actually).

Maybe because the rest of our fairing is pretty small, it's easier/quicker for air to replace the volume that was moved away by the front/screen... But I guess my thought is it's still how far the screen tapers down up at the top, to clear the brake reservoir and/or mirrors.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi all, I tested out 4 windshield configurations on my GSX-S1000F.
My biggest complaint with the CalSci is that the front brake master cylinder contacts the windscreen when the bar is turned all the way.
I'm just curious if you talked to CalSci about the MC hitting the screen? I had contacted them about cutting a stock screen to a custom shape and they were definitely willing to accommodate. That could be an option if the interference is expected, otherwise they might replace it if it's not supposed to happen.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'll throw a few comments in here.
I going through a similar pathway on my new DL1K V Strom. The two helmets I have give really different experiences from the same screen and in the same positions (it has 3 rake adjustments).
Both Arai, the ADV style XD4 (with the peak off) gets a real lot of buffeting on the helmet top and just behind the head. It is round shape at the back and elongated at the front. The noise & turbulence is pretty bad and gets far worse each time the screen is moved away towards the bike's front. In the most vertical is extreme buffeting for me.
The removable sun peak just adds to the shaking; rattling the visor to distort my vision.

The other, the round shaped RX-Q is a lot quieter and has no buffeting behind the helmet and gets better the further I move it forward.
If the OEM screen is removed, the ride is like a good Naked with good protection from the waist down.
The bike's nose beak and the headlight surround paneling is shaped like traffic cone, but the 'new improved 2018 generation' Suzuki screen is a real flop Suzuki for most and me too.

I've got a Shoei GT Air on back order now as that one got a good report here on the Forum; but Santa has collared a few for his "Good" list and now the Warehouse is now dry of white one's till December.

Rob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just curious if you talked to CalSci about the MC hitting the screen? I had contacted them about cutting a stock screen to a custom shape and they were definitely willing to accommodate. That could be an option if the interference is expected, otherwise they might replace it if it's not supposed to happen.
They were willing to accommodate cutting the screen, but I ended up preferring the shape and build quality of the MRA piece much more than the CalSci. So the MRA stayed, and I still really like it!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'll throw a few comments in here.
I going through a similar pathway on my new DL1K V Strom. The two helmets I have give really different experiences from the same screen and in the same positions (it has 3 rake adjustments).
Both Arai, the ADV style XD4 (with the peak off) gets a real lot of buffeting on the helmet top and just behind the head. It is round shape at the back and elongated at the front. The noise & turbulence is pretty bad and gets far worse each time the screen is moved away towards the bike's front. In the most vertical is extreme buffeting for me.
The removable sun peak just adds to the shaking; rattling the visor to distort my vision.

The other, the round shaped RX-Q is a lot quieter and has no buffeting behind the helmet and gets better the further I move it forward.
If the OEM screen is removed, the ride is like a good Naked with good protection from the waist down.
The bike's nose beak and the headlight surround paneling is shaped like traffic cone, but the 'new improved 2018 generation' Suzuki screen is a real flop Suzuki for most and me too.

I've got a Shoei GT Air on back order now as that one got a good report here on the Forum; but Santa has collared a few for his "Good" list and now the Warehouse is now dry of white one's till December.

Rob.
I had problems with buffeting on my Wee Strom. I know it depends a lot on your height, preferred riding position, etc... but I've had good luck with my GT-Air. No buffeting, little noise, no problem with head turns. My GSXS screen is the cheap ($32) ebay tinted version that's identical in size to the stock, but does have a slight double bubble molded in. The wind hits me right at the bottom of the helmet. I'm happy with the combo of screen and GT-Air. Beats the crap out of getting buffeted on my Wee Strom.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just installed the MRA Racing screen, and is the fourth screen I've tested on this bike -- stock, Powerbronze Airflow, and cheap ebay screen. I get really loud buffeting, even with earplugs, due to some turbulent air hitting around the base of the helmet. There's no vibration affecting vision, just loud, annoying and potentially dangerous to the hearing turbulence. I had a Scorpion EXO 1100, but recently purchased a Shoei GT Air. All combinations of screens and helmets are just variations on a theme. They are all slightly different, but none stands out better than any other. (The noise actually seems to be louder with the GT Air, but haven't tried helmets back-to-back.) With the MRA, removing the upper spacers on the screen to make it lean back a little more helped some. That screen really excels at very high speeds - the noise only increases slightly, but it keeps the wind blast off the torso so you're not hanging on for dear life.

Yesterday I really realized just how bad the noise was when I hopped on the DR650 right after riding the GSXS. It was amazing...the wind noise was just a gentle swooshing, up to around 75 or 80 mph...I could hear the exhaust! Night and day difference. The DR doesn't have a screen, just a cowling around the headlight and the rider gets very clean air to the torso and helmet. I'm going to try no screen on the GSXS to have a baseline. I think I tried this shortly after I bought the bike, IIRC it is smoother air but the wind pressure to the torso is tiring.

Since there doesn't appear to be a commercially available shorty screen for this bike, I'm going to try cutting down my cheap ebay screen a little at a time. Of course, if this works I won't really know the ideal height until I've cut off too much, but if I muck it up, no big loss. Can always get another or just cut down the stock screen since they are very similar.

By the way, on the later generation V-stroms, both 650 and 1000, the Givi Airflow screen works wonders. Add the Augustus deflectors on the 650 (available on the forum) for even better results. On my '14 1000 with the Givi I still had some buffeting to the torso. It was a bit of work, but was cured by installing some modified BMW deflectors.

Keep in mind everyone's experience with screens and buffeting will be slightly different due to the number of variables involved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anyone tried the tall puig with the adjustable vent? its 135mm taller.

On a R1200GS it removes all wind noise with a 6' 2" rider, just wondered if it does similar in the GSXS F

·
Registered
379 Posts
Since there doesn't appear to be a commercially available shorty screen for this bike, I'm going to try cutting down my cheap ebay screen a little at a time. Of course, if this works I won't really know the ideal height until I've cut off too much, but if I muck it up, no big loss. Can always get another or just cut down the stock screen since they are very similar.
I have the same helmet, same problem. I have to wear the quietest ear plugs I could find (3M disposable) - even with some ear plugs I felt like the noise was loud enough to cause damage.

There are a few short screens, although I have a second one also and eventually plan on cutting it down too.
Puig screen (c/o Revzilla) Normally I don't like the Puig but it kind of looks OK in this pic:

Suzuki P/N 990D004K50CRB

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have the same helmet, same problem. I have to wear the quietest ear plugs I could find (3M disposable) - even with some ear plugs I felt like the noise was loud enough to cause damage.

There are a few short screens, although I have a second one also and eventually plan on cutting it down too.
Puig screen (c/o Revzilla) Normally I don't like the Puig but it kind of looks OK in this pic:
For some reason I missed those. The solid black doesn't do much for me. If my experiments don't yield good results I will have to check out that Puig.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
From my experiences, I found a faired wind screened bike's there was a trade off between noise vs buffeting vs helmet air flow blocking. My trips on borrowed Honda Goldwing's before and after they incorporated the directional screen vent were soured by the screen. You would think for the money asked, you would sit in a cosy bubble of quietness. Never found that for me.

The earlier non vented version buffeted the helmet like crazy, but 90% relief once I put the tinted visor fully open. But the trade off was 100% headache's from the glare (clear prescription glasses) and the journeys were always on mild days, but I cooked due to the lack of air flow around the body.
The later slot shaped vented model, allowed some air to be directed directly at the visor but it was still pretty useless. The windscreen allowed vertical up or down manual adjustment but that only made things go from worse to worse the further up you set it.

Then I owned a Honda Pan European/ST1300 with electric screen for a year's ownership. That had another useless screen. The further the screen went up and out, the more the buffeting increased exponentially. Fully up, it had a effect like some one pushing hard on the centre of my back; No helmet buffeting but 100% vacuum induced back pushing and bike instability at speed, but great protection from driving rain!

I had a first generation Bandit 1200. The narrow/medium height useless screen was a real shocker too, so I fully converted the front of the fairing with spare parts to turn it into the fully naked bike version not sold here in Au. Sorry now I sold those parts including the chrome headlight (GS500 shared part) as I would have like to have had a try to modify my GSXS1000 Naked to accept them to make the bike look a bit more traditional.

So my conclusion developed over many faired bike's : The screens only work if you are midget sized and me at 5'11" only suit's sports bike's like the GSXR where your head is pushed down more to the horizontal and the helmet base therefore is not horizontal, but more tilted towards the vertical direction so the air is not forced up into the helmet, and the vacuum behind the helmet wicks away the straw air coming up from the screen sides and the lower shaped fairing.
Like a bullet flying horizontal lengthways sweetly through the air with the sharp end being the top of your helmeted head. It becomes progressively downhill the more your head moves to the vertical.

Rob.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts