GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped off the bike with the builder and starting the build process. Not able to go as wild as I was hoping (was hoping for a 200+ RWHP), but should bring the bike up to maybe just bit faster than I have ridden. Coming from a legit 160 rwhp GSXR to what I am betting is about 130 RWHP bike was just to much drop for me. Hoping to get this bike up to 170 RWHP on pump gas.

So the build:

Replace the CAMs (looking at some GSXR K5-K6 adjustable cams or possibly the ones from PTR in Austraila)
Replacing the valves and springs to handle more power
Mill the head and thinner head gasket to bring compression up (still leaving it safe for 93 pump gas) Current GSXS 12.5:1 GSXR 2005 which our motor came from 12:9:1. Probably shooting for just over 13.5:1
Port and Polish the heads.
Re-spring forks and massage the valving
Re-spring the shock and tweak the stock valving
ECU Flash to remove the Secondary butterfly restrictions, Timing, engine brake, and still looking at what else can be done. (already remove PAIR and Exhaust valve)

Already done
M4 full exhaust
PAIR mod
Bazzaz TC unit for fuel map customizing (used the auto Tune to update the bike from stock after the exhaust)
Installed but haven't tested Brembo front RC 19 master cylinder (Stock unit was crap 3/4" of lever travel before pressure is applied to the pads)
Installed but haven't tested Spiegler Front and rear lines. (Spiegler is making a kit for the non ABS from my lines, as I live 40 minutes from their shop)
Installed but haven't ridden yet LSL Drag bar from Spiegler. With my short upper body my arm angle to the bars was pretty much horizontal so I had no forward angle to help absorb throttle changes with my body. Lowering the bars a couple inches will make it much better for me. And looking at the competitors sure seemed their bars were already at that level I want.

Hopefully will get a baseline dyno run, but not sure if the builder will get access to a dyno before he starts the tear down.

Will update this thread as I get more information on details of the motor work.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sounds great Chris.
Best of luck with the build. I for one will be interested to see how you get on.
Are you going to use the GSXR valves? They are titanium and should make it safer to up the Rev limit.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
sounds like your doing it right...not just using the magic plug in stuff.....your going for it gotta like that...this will be one of the better threads....thanks and goodluck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to see the drag bar.
https://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebars-accessories-438/x-bar-handlebars/x-bar-handlebar-drag-bar-4491.htm

I will get some pictures when I get the bike back.

Some notes I got on the bar though:
1. They may not have as much pull back as the stock bars as even with the reduction in height the Clutch cables barely made it to the mounting location (with enough slack for turning).
2. The bar has a degree scale on the center so you can tell the vertical angle. I have mine I think at +2 to get some clearance when turning the bars. I still have to check clearance with the Side panels on.
3. The one thing I am disappointed in is that they did not leave the end inner diameter big enough to put a standard bar end on. I am going to try and see if I can find some vibration foam or something to spray/glue in.
4. Eyeballing it the bars are now about an 1" higher than the top of the tank.

From the little bit I have sat on it I like the new feel. Since my upper body is for someone 5' 3" but my leg length is for someone 6'2" I just didn't like how high the stock bars were

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I,d like to take a drag
Ok, now that can go many ways.....

Well I will also be playing dress up with the bike with some Vinyl wrap.... The orange will be more neon orange though. BTW why does suzuki design the fenders not to be removed from the bike? You can't drop the fender straight down, it won't come through the forks. Really hate scratching newly painted fenders just to install them.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great Chris.
Best of luck with the build. I for one will be interested to see how you get on.
Are you going to use the GSXR valves? They are titanium and should make it safer to up the Rev limit.
I will be using Titanium Valves, but not sure if they will be from GSXR or aftermarket depending on dimensions. Motor work on this bike was like trying to find Waldo for parts. The only place that has anything for it was PTR in Australia.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It still will not come out cleanly with the wheel removed. It wont get it past the bottom of the fork tube without forcing it out.
You could pull the forks, but I don't think it'd be worth the pain. I had somebody back into my bike, threw of the fork alignment. The shop basically gave up on straightening them, I got them close, but it's still off; not so far off that it bothers me, but I can tell if I'm paying attention.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most rwhp dyno figures I've seen for the GSXS have been 140hp+.
The "donor" bike K5/K6 GSXR I believe was about 15HP more - stock.
But you will feel the rush the GSXR have at the top end of course, even though it is not *that* much more powerful than the GSXS.
Full faring/less drag do make a difference @ 100mph++.

Your build sounds very interesting.

Would be nice to see before/after dyno figures.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the build is done, was not able to get a pre-dyno run done, but I did have the final ECU and Dyno mapping done on the same Dyno as my 2009 GSXR 1000 race bike.

What ended up being done:

Heads were port & polished.
Head was milled down .010" to increase compression .5 - 1.0 (builder didn't measure kind of irked about that).
SERDI valve job to improve the valve performance The Perfect Serdi Valve Job
Installed a 2005 GSXR Intake cam for increased lift, The stock Exhaust Cam had more lift than the GSXR so it was not touched.
Cams were adjusted for peak Midrange performance.

ECU was re-flashed with custom ignition map and more aggressive on the secondary throttle bodies.

I will post the dyno sheets later, but best run came out to 164 RWHP on regular 93 pump gas at 11k rpm. My 2009 race bike hit 169 rwhp on the same dyno due to the extra 2k RPM.

The runs are dang near identical with very small valleys, but the biggest improvement is the snatchy on off throttle is gone, and also the hesitation around 5k RPM coming out of a corner is gone.

This morning ride in was my first time to really get on it, but still learning the feel as I also put on a Flat Drag bar from LSL, and had the front fork internals massaged. Trying to find some anti vibration foam to spray in the bars as it is pretty buzzy even with the LSL bar ends.

Overall happy with the performance improvements. Next winter I might think about a 520 conversion when the stock drive train is ready for replacement.
Quick shots with the Drag bar, Toby Damper, and the neon orange wrap. The shot from the rear is a better indication of the color.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
So the build is done, was not able to get a pre-dyno run done, but I did have the final ECU and Dyno mapping done on the same Dyno as my 2009 GSXR 1000 race bike.

Head was milled down .010" to increase compression .5 - 1.0 (builder didn't measure kind of irked about that).
Installed a 2005 GSXR Intake cam for increased lift, The stock Exhaust Cam had more lift than the GSXR so it was not touched.

ECU was re-flashed with custom ignition map and more aggressive on the secondary throttle bodies.

I will post the dyno sheets later, but best run came out to 164 RWHP on regular 93 pump gas at 11k rpm. My 2009 race bike hit 169 rwhp on the same dyno due to the extra 2k RPM.

The runs are dang near identical with very small valleys, but the biggest improvement is the snatchy on off throttle is gone, and also the hesitation around 5k RPM coming out of a corner is gone.

This morning ride in was my first time to really get on it, but still learning the feel as I also put on a Flat Drag bar from LSL, and had the front fork internals massaged. Trying to find some anti vibration foam to spray in the bars as it is pretty buzzy even with the LSL bar ends.

Overall happy with the performance improvements. Next winter I might think about a 520 conversion when the stock drive train is ready for replacement.
Quick shots with the Drag bar, Toby Damper, and the neon orange wrap. The shot from the rear is a better indication of the color.
Cool build! May I ask if you truly notice any performance increase minus the throttle snatch? The reason I ask is because I just gained roughly 25 hp from a ECU flash on my ZX10R and I feel a difference in mid range but I would be lying if I said I noticed the gain in the top end.

Did I read correctly and you did not get a compression reading?

Definitely sounds like a sleeper bike and I will be anxious to hear updates on how she feels. I thought about doing some serious engine work to my GSXS but decided to just buy a faster bike.

Please let us know if you get a chance to leave some supersports in your rear view!

Love the bike man!

·
Registered
101 Posts

sweet build! You must be making significant torque to have close to the same power as your R but t 2000 rpm less. Can't wait to see the graphs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still feeling it out, I was kind of expecting a bit lighter in the front end, but I think I am comparing to my race bike with shorter wheelbase 20lbs lighter and -1 front +1 rear. So far it sure does pull like a freight train without lifting the front. I am working with how aggressive I can be with the throttle in 1st as so far it has just skipped a bit (even with getting to 100% throttle around 9k rpm. Out of the corner I can feel the difference as it used to be flat in the mid range, but now it start pulling right from the go. I will play some more with it, but could be a very slight hesitation when snapping throttle from closed to 100% (2nd and 3rd gear).

I can definitely feel the gains across the rev range compared to what it was, as it sure felt flat even after the pipe and Bazzaz. That is another thing I need to check to see if my Bazzaz is limiting it.

Yeah I did not get a final reading on the Compression, was hoping to have that info, but it will still run fine on regular 93 octane pump gas.

Here is the Dyno runs I had the shop overlay the best run with my race bike. The 169 is my race bike on pump gas (custom map #1 ) the 174 is my race bike with MR12 (custom Map #2 ) and the 164 is the GSXS.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
cam lobe timing

I am still feeling it out, I was kind of expecting a bit lighter in the front end, but I think I am comparing to my race bike with shorter wheelbase 20lbs lighter and -1 front +1 rear. So far it sure does pull like a freight train without lifting the front. I am working with how aggressive I can be with the throttle in 1st as so far it has just skipped a bit (even with getting to 100% throttle around 9k rpm. Out of the corner I can feel the difference as it used to be flat in the mid range, but now it start pulling right from the go. I will play some more with it, but could be a very slight hesitation when snapping throttle from closed to 100% (2nd and 3rd gear).

I can definitely feel the gains across the rev range compared to what it was, as it sure felt flat even after the pipe and Bazzaz. That is another thing I need to check to see if my Bazzaz is limiting it.

Yeah I did not get a final reading on the Compression, was hoping to have that info, but it will still run fine on regular 93 octane pump gas.

Here is the Dyno runs I had the shop overlay the best run with my race bike. The 169 is my race bike on pump gas (custom map #1 ) the 174 is my race bike with MR12 (custom Map #2 ) and the 164 is the GSXS.
hi, ive got 2-3mnths to do some mods while recovering from wrist surgery, im wanting to install a 06 gsxr intake cam, can you let me know what lobe centre timings for the intake and exhaust cams ?
i also carry out porting , and had figured on a clean and match of intake, some more serious work on ex port to run with a D port exhaust extension/ oversize header setup ive seen work wonders.
thanks for your write up, regards caig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi, ive got 2-3mnths to do some mods while recovering from wrist surgery, im wanting to install a 06 gsxr intake cam, can you let me know what lobe centre timings for the intake and exhaust cams ?
i also carry out porting , and had figured on a clean and match of intake, some more serious work on ex port to run with a D port exhaust extension/ oversize header setup ive seen work wonders.
I will check in with the engine guy and see of he has that data.

·
Registered
101 Posts
those engine mods mated to your handmade exhaust should make for a really impressive mill!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts