GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats bad news mate , similar happened to me in 2012, whenever I come across this type of situation now I sound the horn a few times to wake the dozy plebs up and pass widely if possible. Hope you recover soon.

·
Registered
2017 GSXS1000F & 2017 Moto Guzzi Griso SE 8V
23 Posts
U-turns are the worst offender.
Motorcycle riders always crash into the ‘inside’ of the U-turning car.
My theory:
Our brains are trained to look for oncoming traffic when turning a vehicle so drivers conducting a U-turn never look over their shoulder for riders coming up behind them.
We’ll never eliminate this issue.
We just need to remain super vigilant, move slowly in urban areas and hope luck is on our side.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Reading Luko's above post reminded me of my Old Father in the days before cars had blinkers when doing a U turn.
The standard legally required hand signal for a U turn was placing you arm and hand at 90 degrees out the window, and revolving the pointer finger in a circular motion.
Those in the know (on a bike) today use the same signal to warn other oncoming Motorcyclists of impending Police ahead. Revolving finger = their flashing lights.
That's better than flashing headlights, as undercover cars do roam on roads that attract the bike enthusiast.

Rob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well what can I say, I’m totally gutted of my new bike.
I was riding through my home town in Exeter, Devon, the roads were totally clear conditions were dry and absolutely perfect for riding. Whilst riding through the industrial estate, I noticed a jaguar parked up on my side of the road about 100 meters away, as I approached to around 20 meters I noticed the indicator go on ready to pull out. I’m thinking to myself she’s seen me, i‘m now around 10/15 meters away and yup you got it she starts pulling off. I’m now virtually beside her, then the dozy cow decided to do a u turn right in front of me. I’ve anchored up and tried to turn with her as much as possible. I made contact with the b pillar area of the drivers door, firstly with the front left fork and then the wheel turned into the car. In the process of this I’ve been thrown over the side and squashed between the bike & car as it followed its route along the drivers door.
Im really p——d off with this, I bought the bike end of 2020 new & have only just covered 800 miles.

I’m now off work with a broken thumb & ligament damage, impact injury with ligament damage to my shoulder & a very bruised pair blue balls. It looks like I’m going to be off work for some months while I repair.
The most annoying part is the fact there’s a bloody roundabout 50 meters down the road, I could of avoided her if she just pulled straight off and not doing a u turn.
Insurance company collecting the bike this week, to inspect for repairs if worth it, my big concern now is, if the forks are ok and they repair panels & headlight and other bits n pieces damaged. What’s the chances of having any stress fractures not visible to the naked eye and at a later date I’m riding down the motorway, and something breaks. I could be totally screwed at a faster speed.
This has been my 1st accident on a bigger bike in 32 years and never had to claim for repairs, so it’s all a new game to me. Any advice greatly appciated.

Mark
Glad to hear you tell the tale, a great reminder to all of us that there are literally blind mobile operators and definitely now a days YouTube audience strapping them selves in cars and call it driving, 5 years back 5 surgeries two plates and 15 screws ruptured nut and bruised the other, lovely half drunk punk overtaking 6 cars in a narrow two lane road decided to do 160 and meet me head on, the outcome 40% right hand with a permanent plate and the rest thankfully recovered. Again am glad to know youre ok, it took me 6 months on a wheel chair and another 4 physiotherapy and been on a new bike for over 50k now, we see alot everyday and maneuver some vey very awkward situations. For sure ive seen alot on friends bikes as well, as for your concern on stressed parts it will show as our bike have the forks ends / upper and lower triple tree in black ( any stressed part ( of course after being check for any twist in them) and checking out the color would turn grayish on the stressed area, make sure the forks are 100% ( front rim/ handle bar / and brake rotors) fairings or plastics are easy to identify. Wish u a speedy recovery and many miles ahead

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well what can I say, I’m totally gutted of my new bike.
I was riding through my home town in Exeter, Devon, the roads were totally clear conditions were dry and absolutely perfect for riding. Whilst riding through the industrial estate, I noticed a jaguar parked up on my side of the road about 100 meters away, as I approached to around 20 meters I noticed the indicator go on ready to pull out. I’m thinking to myself she’s seen me, i‘m now around 10/15 meters away and yup you got it she starts pulling off. I’m now virtually beside her, then the dozy cow decided to do a u turn right in front of me. I’ve anchored up and tried to turn with her as much as possible. I made contact with the b pillar area of the drivers door, firstly with the front left fork and then the wheel turned into the car. In the process of this I’ve been thrown over the side and squashed between the bike & car as it followed its route along the drivers door.
Im really p——d off with this, I bought the bike end of 2020 new & have only just covered 800 miles.

I’m now off work with a broken thumb & ligament damage, impact injury with ligament damage to my shoulder & a very bruised pair blue balls. It looks like I’m going to be off work for some months while I repair.
The most annoying part is the fact there’s a bloody roundabout 50 meters down the road, I could of avoided her if she just pulled straight off and not doing a u turn.
Insurance company collecting the bike this week, to inspect for repairs if worth it, my big concern now is, if the forks are ok and they repair panels & headlight and other bits n pieces damaged. What’s the chances of having any stress fractures not visible to the naked eye and at a later date I’m riding down the motorway, and something breaks. I could be totally screwed at a faster speed.
This has been my 1st accident on a bigger bike in 32 years and never had to claim for repairs, so it’s all a new game to me. Any advice greatly appciated.

Mark
I'm deeply sorry to hear about your accident:(
This is my worse nightmare. I have ridden for about 2 years and 1/2 only, I can't imagine how bad you feel about having this accident with all your years of experience as a motorcycle rider.
My advice to you is to getting yourself a good motorcycle accident attorney to represent you in the best possible way.

This lady needs to learn a good lesson. I'll fight for all my medical bills to be payed, a brand new bike and a good monetary compensation for all your physical pain, emotional stress, time off from work, time off from your recreational activities, etc.

I hope that you soon resolve this situation in the best possible way. (y)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Checkup visit to hospital on Monday morning. Most damage is to my pinky where it joins the hand and it's next door neighbor. I'll soon be right, not. :rolleyes:
Yikes. That would suck. No riding and no self-gratification activities... unless you're a lefty :LOL:

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,965 Posts
Yikes. That would suck. No riding and no self-gratification activities... unless you're a lefty :LOL:
Marriage does have it's advantages. ;)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Good luck with the hand @dekker, dog broke the ring finger on my throttle hand last November and I still have pain/restricted movement with it.
Sorry to hear that, hope it doesn't hinder you too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, Dekker I hope that hand heals soon for you mate & the pain starts easing.
Im off to see the plastic surgeon on the 26th, to find out what’s happening or if they’re going to operate, time will tell for us.
on another note I’ve had some good news & bad to a degree, but I’m relieved that’s it’s all slowly progressing forward & the bike won’t be coming back to me unless I try to buy back from insurance company, & I'm not too sure on that decision at the moment. The other driver has admitted liability so that is a positive outcome. I’ve also heard today that the engineer accessing my bike gave up when the list got to 8k, and he mentioned he hasn’t done a full inspection on the frame & swingarm. So the bike looks like it’s going to be a write off deemed beyond economical repair. Here’s the list of parts he managed to collate. His comments mentioned he’s not even taken into account for the damaged tank, frame & swingarm.

Front Brake Pads Front Brake Discs
LH Front Wheel Tape
RH Front Wheel Tape
Front Brake Disc Bolts
Front Wheel Dust Seals
Front Wheel Bearings
Bottom Yoke Bolts
Headrace Bearing Dust Seal Upper Headrace Bearing
Upper Headrace Bearing
Bottom Yoke (W/Bearing & Seal) Fork Tubes
Fork Dust Seals
Fork Oil Seals
LH Fork Drain Washer
Fuel Information Label
Fuel Label
Clutch Lever
Front Brake Lever
RH Mirror
LH Mirror
LH Bar End Weight Assy Handlebars
Front Fender Rivets
Front Fender
Rear Headlight Cover
Upper Headlight Cover - BLACK Headlight Surround CUSHION,LICENSE PLATE
RH Intake Cover Panel
LH Intake Cover
RH Inner Radiator Cover
RH Lower Radiator Fairing - Blue RH Upper Radiator Fairing - Blue
LH Inner Radiator Cover
LH Lower Radiator Fairing - Blue LH Upper Radiator Fairing - Blue LHR Seat Fairing Tape
RHR Seat Fairing Tape
LHR Seat Fairing
Fuel Tank Pad
Fuel Tank Protector Film
Fuel Tank Velcro Fasteners
Fuel Tank Decals
LHF Footrest Hanger Bolts Front Footrest Pin
RHF Footrest Hanger Pad RHF Footrest Hero Bolt RHF Footrest
RHF Footrest Hanger Rear Brake Pedal LHR Indicator
LHF Indicator Headlight Assy Radiator
Fuel Pump O-Ring
Exhaust Gasket
Exhaust Heat Shield Cover Exhaust Heat Shield Exhaust End Cap Cover Starter/Idle Cover Gasket Starter/Idle Engine Cover Number Plate
Engine Oil
Coolant
Sundries

So a thumbs up, stay safe out there as there’s some real idiots driving around

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, Dekker I hope that hand heals soon for you mate & the pain starts easing.
Im off to see the plastic surgeon on the 26th, to find out what’s happening or if they’re going to operate, time will tell for us.
on another note I’ve had some good news & bad to a degree, but I’m relieved that’s it’s all slowly progressing forward & the bike won’t be coming back to me unless I try to buy back from insurance company, & I'm not too sure on that decision at the moment. The other driver has admitted liability so that is a positive outcome. I’ve also heard today that the engineer accessing my bike gave up when the list got to 8k, and he mentioned he hasn’t done a full inspection on the frame & swingarm. So the bike looks like it’s going to be a write off deemed beyond economical repair. Here’s the list of parts he managed to collate. His comments mentioned he’s not even taken into account for the damaged tank, frame & swingarm.

Front Brake Pads Front Brake Discs
LH Front Wheel Tape
RH Front Wheel Tape
Front Brake Disc Bolts
Front Wheel Dust Seals
Front Wheel Bearings
Bottom Yoke Bolts
Headrace Bearing Dust Seal Upper Headrace Bearing
Upper Headrace Bearing
Bottom Yoke (W/Bearing & Seal) Fork Tubes
Fork Dust Seals
Fork Oil Seals
LH Fork Drain Washer
Fuel Information Label
Fuel Label
Clutch Lever
Front Brake Lever
RH Mirror
LH Mirror
LH Bar End Weight Assy Handlebars
Front Fender Rivets
Front Fender
Rear Headlight Cover
Upper Headlight Cover - BLACK Headlight Surround CUSHION,LICENSE PLATE
RH Intake Cover Panel
LH Intake Cover
RH Inner Radiator Cover
RH Lower Radiator Fairing - Blue RH Upper Radiator Fairing - Blue
LH Inner Radiator Cover
LH Lower Radiator Fairing - Blue LH Upper Radiator Fairing - Blue LHR Seat Fairing Tape
RHR Seat Fairing Tape
LHR Seat Fairing
Fuel Tank Pad
Fuel Tank Protector Film
Fuel Tank Velcro Fasteners
Fuel Tank Decals
LHF Footrest Hanger Bolts Front Footrest Pin
RHF Footrest Hanger Pad RHF Footrest Hero Bolt RHF Footrest
RHF Footrest Hanger Rear Brake Pedal LHR Indicator
LHF Indicator Headlight Assy Radiator
Fuel Pump O-Ring
Exhaust Gasket
Exhaust Heat Shield Cover Exhaust Heat Shield Exhaust End Cap Cover Starter/Idle Cover Gasket Starter/Idle Engine Cover Number Plate
Engine Oil
Coolant
Sundries

So a thumbs up, stay safe out there as there’s some real idiots driving around

Mark
Thanks Mark, my pain now gone thank goodness. Going to see the man on Monday and I'm hoping to get the plaster off. Best of luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Update: Yep got plaster off, hand and wrist still a bit sore, took bike in for 600mile service today, 8500rpm here I come.:)

Reactions: mike d and Rim72

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Glad things are going well dekker. Jealous that I can’t do the same at the moment.

I have had confirmation this week the bike has been written off, so just waiting for the settlement figure to be confirmed, and funds transferred to me.
I had my cast taken off 2 weeks ago and thumb swelled almost instantly again, so I now have a splint with exercises to do so I can gain movement & started physiotherapy this week for my shoulder as well. Could be a while before I’m back riding again, i certainly won’t be riding again this year. Bit at least now I’m heading in the right direction.
Enjoy the bike up-to 8500rpm whilst still running in, let me know how it feels

Mark

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Glad things are going well dekker. Jealous that I can’t do the same at the moment.

I have had confirmation this week the bike has been written off, so just waiting for the settlement figure to be confirmed, and funds transferred to me.
I had my cast taken off 2 weeks ago and thumb swelled almost instantly again, so I now have a splint with exercises to do so I can gain movement & started physiotherapy this week for my shoulder as well. Could be a while before I’m back riding again, i certainly won’t be riding again this year. Bit at least now I’m heading in the right direction.
Enjoy the bike up-to 8500rpm whilst still running in, let me know how it feels

Mark
No longer running in, have 1600 miles on now. Have been getting unintentional wheelies overtaking in 2nd gear TC (on No.1) saved me from embarrassment.
Good luck with the physio I know from experience about shoulders, they need dedication and perseverance.
It took me up to two years before I could reach the back of my neck after "rotator cuff" operations.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts