GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to fit LED indicators to my GSX-S. I will change the relay instead of fitting resistors, but I don't know if the hazard warning lights will still work.

On my last bike (Kawasaki Z1000sx) I fitted resistors when I fitted LEDs and kept the standard relay. The indicators worked fine, but the hazard lights wouldn't work, so this time I'm going to try changing the relay.

Has anyone fitted LEDs to the GSX-S and changed the relay? How did it work out? Do the hazard lights work OK?

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just replace the relay in the backseat. Everything works fine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here. led indicators and relay. works perfect. just watch out for some led relays u have to swap the contacts (+/-)
Is the GSX-S relay 7 pin? if not how many pins does the standard relay have? thanks for the tip on the contacts, all I have to do now is find the relay!! (yes, you've guessed it, I'm no engineer)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is the GSX-S relay 7 pin? if not how many pins does the standard relay have? thanks for the tip on the contacts, all I have to do now is find the relay!! (yes, you've guessed it, I'm no engineer)
3 pin
loads on ebay mate i have a spare one if you struggle
the relay is located under the seat on the brake side strapped to the frame

·
Registered
282 Posts
3 pin
loads on ebay mate i have a spare one if you struggle
the relay is located under the seat on the brake side strapped to the frame
3pins??
Not in Belgium
I have recplaced mine with this one (2 pins) :

Hot Selling Prevent short circuit motorcycle Electronic LED Turn Signals Relay Flasher Blinker motorbike accessories
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1z5S5HVXXXXaWXXXXq6xXFXXXn/Hot-Selling-Prevent-short-circuit-motorcycle-Electronic-LED-Turn-Signals-Relay-Flasher-Blinker-motorbike-accessories.jpg
Hot Selling Prevent short circuit motorcycle Electronic LED Turn Signals Relay Flasher Blinker motorbike accessories-in Flashers from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have also 2 pin relay. on the right site between pillion and driver seat!!!

i hope this helps;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
What headlight bulb are you using? are they oem or led bulb , they looked quite bright and the colour temp looks different as well from the oem. Btw the bike really look cool with the mirrors and tinted windsheild.

Cheers,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same here. led indicators and relay. works perfect. just watch out for some led relays u have to swap the contacts (+/-)
What headlight bulb are you using? are they oem or led bulb , they looked quite bright and the colour temp looks different as well from the oem. Btw the bike really look cool with the mirrors and tinted windsheild.

Cheers,

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I've bought a set of 2018 GSXR1000 LED indicators hoping to fit them to my GSXS1000F, I'm aware I'll need a different relay but apparently somebody else who tried fitting these fried the indicators because the standard indicators are 12 volt and the LED's are 9 volt, although they used the stock relay.
So my question is will the fitting of a relay for LED indicators be sufficient or will it still feed 12 volts to 9 volt indicators and fry them, if so are there load resistors I can fit and which ones would I need?
Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can use a resister on the standard relay, and get the same result, slower signal and not burning out, but I'm not sure @what ohm. I found out easier to just buy a variable relay. When I have a few more minutes later today I'll try and find a link of what I have. It's got a little variable output, so it shouldn't fry the led. All you need is a tiny flathead, and to turn it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can use a resister on the standard relay, and get the same result,t.
No,....only on the surface, …..the resistors defeat the main advantage of LEDs,...... efficiency. The incandescent stock bulbs consumes about 75% of its energy in heat, not light, because they are RESISTORS, like the heating coils in a electric stove.

LEDs by themselves, are the opposite, they run cool, consuming only about 25% of energy in illumination. If you install resistors, then why bother with LEDs??…. The resistors will bypass to ground as much or more current than the stock incandescent bulb wasting all that energy in HEAT, just like the stock incandescent. …..of course the mechanical relay is happy,....as it sees all that energy going to waste warming an already too-hot planet, and costing your money in fuel....yes, …...that waste cost you...plus the cost of the LEDs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^That really only matters for bulbs that are constantly on. Turn signals are only on for a fraction of the time. The real reason everyone wants LED signals is cause they look cool.

LOL, turn signals cause global warming, and waste gas, give me a break.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe if you're running 500 megawatts through them! Unless you change the wiring harness, or add an inline fuse, to the relay, you're wasting that extra energy. You'll still have the full 12v or whatever spec heading into the relay, and only 9 coming out, so adding a resistor is the same. The variable led intended relays just have a variable resistor built in... And even if you add that new fuse? Well that's causing heat! You're computer or phone, tablet whatever, is creating more heat than that LED set up, just reading this!

And... If that was a sarcastic post, whoops. Over my head. If not? A little too pedantic, and hypocritical with that global heat 😅

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright I figured where I got the one I have from.

https://www.amazon.ca/AUDEW-Motorcycle-Adjustable-Indicator-Flasher/dp/B011O49RHC

It may be available from The American site, not sure. But typing "2 pin signal relay" in that Google machine, top result is

https://www.amazon.ca/Motorcycle-Signal-Flasher-Adjustable-Indicator/dp/B01EUDH320

Which I think has the same technical specs as the one I have that's worked like a charm for over a year now 🙂. Anyways those are absolutely what I recommend installing if you do an led signal swap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts