GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, just bought the full woolich tune setup including the autotune.

just curious if anyone has done anything with ignition timing? before anyone asks, no, i am not a newbie when it comes to tuning, engines or anything i have experience... i want to dyno tune it for the ignition timing but curious if anyone has done any work with the timing tables and gained any power? i searched quite a bit and didnt find any real answer to this question

·
Registered
440 Posts
My bike was tuned by a very reputable race mechanic and I asked about ignition timing.
The simple answer was that there are very little gains to be made. In saying that he did change them, i have no idea in what way.
The real gains came from the fuel map.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are gains to be made with ignition timing not many dyno housing get involved, preferring to just setup fuelling. You need extra kit like either det cans or a det sensor fitted on the bike with det sensing electronics. Its said you need a light drum, dynojet drun is deemedtoo heavy, and an eddy current brake with a torque sensor strapped to it to measure live torque. Up shot is if the dyno guy messes up you end up with engine damage a lot quicker than if it leans out.
Its a while since I looked at the ignition on the GSXS1000 but I did change the maps in the earlier gears which pepped it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello

I've only just seen this - for some reason.

I am about to mess with the ignition timing on my GSXS using the Woolich Software but only in as much as I'm playing with the Unifying option.

The GSXS has 4 ignition maps, Neutral, 1-2, 3 and 4-6. The Unifying option allows you to choose one of those maps and apply them to all the others.

As far as I know, and by looking at the maps, it appears that gears 1-2 and 3 are slightly detuned. Reason being, I suppose, is that they were too aggressive as they were (is there such a thing as too aggressive? Lol). So I am going to see what that does.

I have a dyno, so I can sort of test it but it's tricky doing dyno runs in lower gears, so I don't know how that will work out.

As for changing the maps themselves, as opposed to only Unifying them, I would not get involved in that myself unless I was a racer and had a whole new level of expertise. And as the guy above has said, I would need to get a torque cell for my dyno, which is another $1,000.

So basically, I don't see the point in it at my level of riding and tuning skills.

You can see my progress if you take a look at the links in my signature below.

Greetings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts