GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Since Dano would not do North of the border tuning I took the plunge and ordered a starter kit. I mainly want to disable fuel cut but I will play with the differents maping. I will let you know how it goes.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hi all,

Since Dano would not do South of the border tuning I took the plunge and ordered a starter kit. I mainly want to disable fuel cut but I will play with the differents maping. I will let you know how it goes.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Very cool. Did you buy the kit with the log box? I was tempted to purchase but I am lucky enough to have access to a world class tuner.

There are a number of mapshare files that should get you close, with added fuel, no cut on decel etc.

Exciting stuff! !

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool. Did you buy the kit with the log box? I was tempted to purchase but I am lucky enough to have access to a world class tuner.

There are a number of mapshare files that should get you close, with added fuel, no cut on decel etc.

Exciting stuff! !
I just bought the "USB D v3 Package" since what I was really looking for was the Fuel cut disabling.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just giving you a hard time. :)

Let us know how it works out for you. I wish I knew enough and was brave enough to do my own fueling. Maybe you can inspire us all!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the starter Woolich software. Phuket Paul has written a lot about in his webpage....and totally agree with what he said. If you want only to make one change, and not bother with the learning process, it is not worth it, just send it to Dano. He has the advantage of having feedback instruments like wide band O2 readings for mixture, dyno runs for power, and probably test bikes to settle on one basic mapping. The limiters are choices. Once all of this is agreed upon. Flashing(Writing, Dowloading) to the ECU takes about 5 minutes. Of course, from Dano's you have no clue what was changed, other than the basic limiters which are your choices, and are simply check marks in the software.....no brainers really.

What the software provides is the capability we had in the past for tinkering. Meaning; you can change fueling (injector time in milliseconds), mixture, limiters, timing and so on. Just what we used to do in the past with carburators (needles, jets, washers) and timing rotors, only now is all digital and programmed in a dedicated computer(or controller); the ECU.

Now, with the starter kit, you do not have the feedback instruments(other than your own narrow band O2 sensor) It is all common sense, and seat of the pants. The kit comes with a harness you have to install(insert) onto the ECU connector and route it to the back. Once this is done, for making changes all you have to do is do them off line, remove the passenger seat, bring your laptop to connector, and it takes about 5 min to write them(flash) to the ECU..then go riding see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Are there high and low limits to keep one from damaging their engines? Also, will it allow you to start with your current tune (in my case, Dano's) and work from there, or does it take you back to stock?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the starter Woolich software. Phuket Paul has written a lot about in his webpage....and totally agree with what he said. If you want only to make one change, and not bother with the learning process, it is not worth it, just send it to Dano. He has the advantage of having feedback instruments like wide band O2 readings for mixture, dyno runs for power, and probably test bikes to settle on one basic mapping. The limiters are choices. Once all of this is agreed upon. Flashing(Writing, Dowloading) to the ECU takes about 5 minutes. Of course, from Dano's you have no clue what was changed, other than the basic limiters which are your choices, and are simply check marks in the software.....no brainers really.

What the software provides is the capability we had in the past for tinkering. Meaning; you can change fueling (injector time in milliseconds), mixture, limiters, timing and so on. Just what we used to do in the past with carburators (needles, jets, washers) and timing rotors, only now is all digital and programmed in a dedicated computer(or controller); the ECU.

Now, with the starter kit, you do not have the feedback instruments(other than your own narrow band O2 sensor) It is all common sense, and seat of the pants. The kit comes with a harness you have to install(insert) onto the ECU connector and route it to the back. Once this is done, for making changes all you have to do is do them off line, remove the passenger seat, bring your laptop to connector, and it takes about 5 min to write them(flash) to the ECU..then go riding see if it makes any difference.
If i were to take that route i would purchase the 02 sensor and log box. Without access to a dyno you are playing guessing games and wasting your time. That's how Paul achieved his result and it took quite some time, riding and reviewing the log box data and adjusting where necessary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are there high and low limits to keep one from damaging their engines? Also, will it allow you to start with your current tune (in my case, Dano's) and work from there, or does it take you back to stock?
You can do or undo anything, change it back to stock at will, save Dano's tune and dowload it at will, or modify it. You save all these different tunes, including stock, as different programs or apps if you will, and download any anytime into the ECU. When this happens, previous program is erased and rewritten with new...in the ECU.

The purchase gives you also the right to download from Woolich what others have done and willingly posted at their site, including Phuket Paul's and see what they have done, or copy it..all or part of it. The software shows changes from stock on the maps by using shades of pink (-) or blue (+) or percentage. Of course, this does not mean what works for others would work for you, specially when your climate, riding habits, other mods like custom exhaust, and even desire for changes are very different......and above all, off course, understand the basic of internal combustion engines and the modern sensors function, and what is it you want.

…...there is a learning process from Woolich abundant videos, and this is only to understand and navigate the software....then you have to decide how to use it. .

·
Registered
698 Posts
You can do or undo anything, change it back to stock at will, save Dano's tune and dowload it at will, or modify it. You save all these different tunes, including stock, as different programs or apps if you will, and download any anytime into the ECU. When this happens, previous program is erased and rewritten with new...in the ECU.

The purchase gives you also the right to download from Woolich what others have done and willingly posted at their site, including Phuket Paul's and see what they have done, or copy it..all or part of it. The software shows changes from stock on the maps by using shades of pink (-) or blue (+) or percentage. Of course, this does not mean what works for others would work for you, specially when your climate, riding habits, other mods like custom exhaust, and even desire for changes are very different......and above all, off course, understand the basic of internal combustion engines and the modern sensors function, and what is it you want.

…...there is a learning process from Woolich abundant videos, and this is only to understand and navigate the software....then you have to decide how to use it. .
Yes, I noticed Paul's tune is optimized for 95 oct. and the best I can get around here is 91 Non-Ethanol, so there's that

It would be interesting to see how his tune differs from Dano's...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes, I noticed Paul's tune is optimized for 95 oct. and the best I can get around here is 91 Non-Ethanol, so there's that

It's the same fuel 'strength', with the expression of (RON, MON) given in numbers, resulting with a different number. Like 1 foot = 300 mm of distance.
Your 91 is my (and his) 95. Your 87 is my 91.

Rob.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Yes, but Dano is not posting his files publicly because there would go his business......and they have good reasons. They have done the research and invest in instruments and facilities...….

…….Paul has customized his bike to the extreme.....seemingly, money no object,. while Dano's is for the average riders, mostly about eliminating restrictions imposed by regulations on manufacturers of motor vehicle (with good reasons as the Ozone layer is now gone)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think Paul messed with the engine's internals, so our bikes are pretty much the same power wise. SET valve removed, Pair valve removed with block off plates, 02 delete, air box mod., full exhaust with longer secondaries and large diameter piping. I would think his tune would be pretty close to Dano's with some minor changes for alt & humidity. I just wonder how he dealt with the idle surging, if in fact he solved it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all,

I received my kit 3 weeks ago. First of all Woolich USA have a great customer support and will ship to Canada the right way. By this I mean they ship fast, with a shipper that will not charge excessive import fees (no need to name it unless you want to break my arm). The will also take the extra mile as to write a «*proper*» description for customs. I installed the harness last week and was able to do my first mod this week. I only changed the fuel cut and speed limit check box and saved to ECU. The fuel cut is responsible for at least 70% of the jerkiness of the bike while idleling at 2500-3000 rpm. The bike is now very smooth. I will play with the mapping but this is not the priority right now.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks Bruno,
I always thought it should be possible to only to uncheck decel fuel cut only and save that to the ECU, and keep the standard rest as is. I've never got a clear answer on this here.

Rob.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi all,

I received my kit 3 weeks ago. First of all Woolich USA have a great customer support and will ship to Canada the right way...
**** right they do. I wish everywhere shipped like that, it'd have saved me over $1k in shipping costs with things I've shipped over the years....

I haven't gotten to installing mine yet, as I'm waiting on the pair block off set, which are taking for **** ever, in the pricey-not-cool-like-Woolich way... Should have just fabricated my own set at this rate!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pair block off? Why, just put a plug in the air hose. And leave it all and let the computer think it is doing its thing.
There is differentapping for each gear and speed limiters as well. You could also extend the rev range should you feel like it. And adjust the fueling as well. Plus, the control of the secondary throttle plates. Too much and easily get tourself in trouble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts