GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is aimed at those who have had a Woolich Re-Flash done... Can you tell me if it has cured the Fuel Cut problem... ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'll let you know in a week or two after my Woolich kit turns up.
Plan on trying things in stages and will only disable fuel cut first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, purchased the full kit with O2 sensor and logging box. At this stage, until I can get to a Dyno, I will be relying on auto-tune

Reactions: sparehead1

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, purchased the full kit with O2 sensor and logging box. At this stage, until I can get to a Dyno, I will be relying on auto-tune
Very interested to know how you get on and results with just turning off the fuel cut...:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
From my understanding auto tune is fairly useless without a good base map.....it will only "auto tune" according to the parameters set.....without a dyno to establish a base map you have no feedback to tell you if you're fueling changes result in increase or decrease Horsepower....... I have heard of many instances where the numbers that autotune suggest differ from the Dyno and we are arguably sub optimal... I think your approach of starting with the fuel cut until you get to a Dyno is probably best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 GSXS 1000
37 Posts
I've purchased the auto tune kit as well. Just need to weld in the o2 bung and it will be finished. Anyone know what material the headers are made of? I want to say it's stainless but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My L6 F has the second version of the ECU. Woolich re-flash has been done: initial thoughts here:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/226225-post10.html

Since then the bike has been back for a small fettle in the idle - 1,500 area of the map to sort warm up and low speed jerking.

I would say the bike is now 99% perfect. The only remaining issue is slight jerking trundling through a carpark for example at low revs (<1,500 RPM)

The bike is a pleasure to ride. it is responsive at any throttle position in any gear. I can filter through traffic or have a blast in the hills.

A re-flash is definitely the solution to this ECU in my experience. A PCV alone will mask the issues, A RE-FLASH FIXES THEM. I have no affiliation with Woolich, they have not seen a cent of my money. My tuner has the Woolich software and harness. I've paid for the tuner to do the work.

Specifically re the fuel cut, this is an issue the Woolich re-flash fixes.

The biggest issue with the ECU is it leans out the fuel map and retards the ignition to help with emissions.

You need to get a map for the re-flash or better still get an experienced tuner to build one for your bike. Both fuel and ignition can be sorted at minute increments in throttle openings and RPM.

In my view it's not plug and play....

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My L6 F has the second version of the ECU. Woolich re-flash has been done: initial thoughts here:

http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/226225-post10.html

Since then the bike has been back for a small fettle in the idle - 1,500 area of the map to sort warm up and low speed jerking.

I would say the bike is now 99% perfect. The only remaining issue is slight jerking trundling through a carpark for example at low revs (<1,500 RPM)

The bike is a pleasure to ride. it is responsive at any throttle position in any gear. I can filter through traffic or have a blast in the hills.

A re-flash is definitely the solution to this ECU in my experience. A PCV alone will mask the issues, A RE-FLASH FIXES THEM. I have no affiliation with Woolich, they have not seen a cent of my money. My tuner has the Woolich software and harness. I've paid for the tuner to do the work.

Specifically re the fuel cut, this is an issue the Woolich re-flash fixes.

The biggest issue with the ECU is it leans out the fuel map and retards the ignition to help with emissions.

You need to get a map for the re-flash or better still get an experienced tuner to build one for your bike. Both fuel and ignition can be sorted at minute increments in throttle openings and RPM.

In my view it's not plug and play....

Hope this helps :)
Cheers ol lad.... very informative and just what I wanted to hear....:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
PCV doesn't actually "Mask" the issue....Its a fuel map that replaces the fuel map the ECU is using.....that is exactly what a reflash does. You can use an excel sheet to convert PCV map to a woolich map. If the problem is indeed purely secondary to a proper fueling map beeing needed it should not matter if the map is delivered via PCV or woolich. HOWEVER, if the problem is secondary to fuel cut or a combination of problems then a fuel map alone will not suffice and a reflash is needed.

Since I already have a PCV I plan on getting a dyno run after header install, installing autotune....once Ive got my perfect map (several probably for different fuels/temp/alt).....Ill buy the woolich kit and flash my file....fuel cut ect....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have been using the WRT LogBox-III since it was available.
So far just to remove all limiters (6th gear, STP, EXVA), upped the rpm-limit from 11.5 to 12.5.
And looked at the logs to verify the fueling (AFR).

Now that I have got the Arrow headers (with Akra end-can) and Zeitronic WB-kit, I have reflashed the ECU accordingly.

Hope to do some logging/tuning/reflash when summer is here (in "a few" months) :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
PCV doesn't actually "Mask" the issue....Its a fuel map that replaces the fuel map the ECU is using.....that is exactly what a reflash does. You can use an excel sheet to convert PCV map to a woolich map. If the problem is indeed purely secondary to a proper fueling map beeing needed it should not matter if the map is delivered via PCV or woolich. HOWEVER, if the problem is secondary to fuel cut or a combination of problems then a fuel map alone will not suffice and a reflash is needed.

Since I already have a PCV I plan on getting a dyno run after header install, installing autotune....once Ive got my perfect map (several probably for different fuels/temp/alt).....Ill buy the woolich kit and flash my file....fuel cut ect....
To clarify the PCV doesnt "replace" the fuel map in the ECU. The PCV "adjusts" the fuel, it doesn't over write the fuel map in the ECU. If you like it augments the fueling by either adding more or reducing fuel to the injectors.

The re flash re-writes the ECU, so it changes what the ECU does. As an example what a PCV can't do is fix the fuel cut on decel, as no matter how much additional fuel the PCV adds, the ECU cuts it by switching off the injectors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So got my Woolich bits and pieces today.
Won't be able to get the exhaust off for another week so can't install the Wideband O2 sensor.
Installed the log box though and removed fuel cut on decel.
Heading away for the weekend on a 760km round trip so will see how it goes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
To clarify the PCV doesnt "replace" the fuel map in the ECU. The PCV "adjusts" the fuel, it doesn't over write the fuel map in the ECU. If you like it augments the fueling by either adding more or reducing fuel to the injectors.

The re flash re-writes the ECU, so it changes what the ECU does. As an example what a PCV can't do is fix the fuel cut on decel, as no matter how much additional fuel the PCV adds, the ECU cuts it by switching off the injectors.
thats my point though....Ive yet to read one post saying that disabling fuel cut combined with a custom map completely fixes the issue....I have read many post where a new fuel map delivered by PCV or Woolich fixes 90-95% of the problem......I fairly certain disabling fuel cut of will help as it usually does on other bikes...Honestly, I am just being academic about......meaning I just want to know WHAT the issue was.......the snatch was never that bad my bike but I love to tinker.

No one has posted their experience yet on what happens by turning off fuel cut alone.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
thats my point though....Ive yet to read one post saying that disabling fuel cut combined with a custom map completely fixes the issue....
<SNIPPED> No one has posted their experience yet on what happens by turning off fuel cut alone.
Yes dqban, the question will be answered by KiwiJaZ soon, we all hope for the answer.

This digital fuel injection problem has been around for donkey's years since it displaced the old carbies with their smooth inertia fuel roll off.
What happens though if there is no software script to provide this ramp down as the Suzuki didn't need presumably to design that into the mix?
Will the injectors just splutter to stop like a dribbling hose?

Rob.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There is an interesting video on YouTube from power commander talking about the fueling changes that need to be made to minimize throttle issues..... he specifically identifies the fueling ratios in the zero RPM column because that is where you are at zero throttle...... I think he even calls it the deceleration map . i'll post a link if I can find it but it was not hard at all to locate on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes dqban, the question will be answered by KiwiJaZ soon, we all hope for the answer.

This digital fuel injection problem has been around for donkey's years since it displaced the old carbies with their smooth inertia fuel roll off.
What happens though if there is no software script to provide this ramp down as the Suzuki didn't need presumably to design that into the mix?
Will the injectors just splutter to stop like a dribbling hose?

Rob.

I'm sure the map includes all the fuel required at 0 throttle and the fuel cut feature is switched on as it shows the fuel in the cells in the stock map when using FTECU
I cannot look at it now or post a pic as I away from home for a few days .
FTECU is a free download where you can look at the stock ecu fuel map and ignition maps

·
Registered
974 Posts
There is an interesting video on YouTube from power commander talking about the fueling changes that need to be made to minimize throttle issues..... he specifically identifies the fueling ratios in the zero RPM column because that is where you are at zero throttle...... I think he even calls it the deceleration map . i'll post a link if I can find it but it was not hard at all to locate on YouTube

I'm think this one is to remove the decel popping which I used on my bike and it worked great but it will not help the fuel cut feature itself as the power commander can only add a percentage of what is being added currently.
There is a question though which would be interesting to know is does the ecu shut off the injectors or the fuel pump?

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
719 Posts

I'm think this one is to remove the decel popping which I used on my bike and it worked great but it will not help the fuel cut feature itself as the power commander can only add a percentage of what is being added currently.
There is a question though which would be interesting to know is does the ecu shut off the injectors or the fuel pump?
the video is the popping one...doesn't he also talk about snatchy throttle to?

Does the fuel cut actually shut off the fuel being delivered or is it telling the computer to deliver 0 fuel? If its "deliver 0 fuel"...then a PCV might still help because wouldn't the PCV be telling it to deliver "0 + PCV?"
This, of course, is just a theory. I have no idea how the fuel cut function is actually coded into the system.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts