GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now got my bike totally sorted with my woolwich flash and autotune.

Bike is exceptionally fast and smooth too, the only problem I have is the range function on the dash will never give me a predicted range of more than 140km even though the bike usually does 210-220km on a tank - anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
yes it seems if i get gas before 160 miles ..my range says 140....but will stay at 140 for a longer time and will all average out when i get close to 160 170 miles........sometimes its starts at 140 sometimes starts at 160 plus

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would guess that it some sort of code behind - estimates the range from previous "use".
If "use" is endless sessions on dyno/tuning with *Woolich*, the range would probably be calculated next to nothing.

I see this "pattern" on my GSXS and my 2013 Focus.
:)

If I drive my Focus 1.0 Ecoboost like old grandpa to church in 6th gear everywhere the range (full tank) is estimated to approx. 1100km.
Now in winter with lots of snow/ice/cold starts..etc.. the range drops to approx. 700km on full tank.
It adjusts to whatever driving "mode"/usage, which is quite obvious if you think about it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would guess that it some sort of code behind - estimates the range from previous "use".
If "use" is endless sessions on dyno/tuning with *Woolich*, the range would probably be calculated next to nothing.

I see this "pattern" on my GSXS and my 2013 Focus.

If I drive my Focus 1.0 Ecoboost like old grandpa to church in 6th gear everywhere the range (full tank) is estimated to approx. 1100km.
Now in winter with lots of snow/ice/cold starts..etc.. the range drops to approx. 700km on full tank.
It adjusts to whatever driving "mode"/usage, which is quite obvious if you think about it.
My driving style hasn't really changed as canbe seen from the fact that the actual range hasn't changed, and even if i drive very economically it wont give more than 140km. Its almost as though it thinks the tank is smaller since the woolwich flash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The ECU will calculate the range from actual fuel usage. It als has some reference data you cannot change.
i bet you added a lot of fuel to the IAP Maps, especially in the lowest areas, to make the bike smooth.
the bike will then consume about 0,5l up to 1l more gas per 100km, but it will also confuse the ECUs range prediction algorithm.
solution: subtract fuel from the IAP map where possible without sacrifice throttle smoothness.
This requires many more test rides. if you make it, the bike will run smooth, and consume only 0,2l more fuel than stock, and the
range prediction will work almost like stock.
ECU tuning needs experience...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ECU will calculate the range from actual fuel usage. It als has some reference data you cannot change.
i bet you added a lot of fuel to the IAP Maps, especially in the lowest areas, to make the bike smooth.
the bike will then consume about 0,5l up to 1l more gas per 100km, but it will also confuse the ECUs range prediction algorithm.
solution: subtract fuel from the IAP map where possible without sacrifice throttle smoothness.
This requires many more test rides. if you make it, the bike will run smooth, and consume only 0,2l more fuel than stock, and the
range prediction will work almost like stock.
ECU tuning needs experience...

Yes, I have added fuel to the IAP maps, in places i've taken it away as well. That actual fuel consumption is hardly any worse than before (and the fueling is very similar to when i had an FTECU flash), its only the predicted range that is wrong!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
i always thought my gas float acting up or not working correct when miles left reading wasnt working right....because when i ran out of gas there was a bar showing no blinking or warning low fuel and showed 25 miles.....think its all gas float related

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, I have added fuel to the IAP maps, in places i've taken it away as well. That actual fuel consumption is hardly any worse than before (and the fueling is very similar to when i had an FTECU flash), its only the predicted range that is wrong!
if you change only the IAP maps back to stock for a test, you will find that the fuel range will be ok again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There is absolutely no "need" to add fuel to the IAP tables.

The engine runs very rich when removing stock O2-sensor/disable closed loop logic.

So I have reduced *lots* in IAP after pretty much the same setup (mods) as PhuketPaul.

No issues with throttle response and milage is as stock (excellent).

Before adjusting IAP (remove fuel from cells) it used at least 20% more fuel in IAP/cruise range.

Same experience with my 1441 B-King.

This year (when winter is over) I will re-activate closed loop/stock O2-sensor.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is absolutely no "need" to add fuel to the IAP tables.

The engine runs very rich when removing stock O2-sensor/disable closed loop logic.

So I have reduced *lots* in IAP after pretty much the same setup (mods) as PhuketPaul.

No issues with throttle response and milage is as stock (excellent).

Before adjusting IAP (remove fuel from cells) it used at least 20% more fuel in IAP/cruise range.

Same experience with my 1441 B-King.

This year (when winter is over) I will re-activate closed loop/stock O2-sensor.

I tried a similar IAP map to you but i found my bike runs much better when the AFR is in the 13's rather than 14s

·
Registered
305 Posts
I tried a similar IAP map to you but i found my bike runs much better when the AFR is in the 13's rather than 14s
Hmmm, I think I forget that you live in another part of the world where it is more human temperatures. :laugh:

You're right that it runs a bit "bad" when it is warm weather (the AFR gets even leaner when it is "warm").

Seldom over 20 Celcius where I live on the northern hemisphere (when it is "summer") :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing after reflash. At least I'm not alone...lol. It's not that the actual mileage changed, just the predicted, exactly as you describe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts