GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i'm seriously considering inquiring the gsx-s1000 despite Being a complete Noobie to riding , i know this is in general a bad idea But hear me out :

- i'm in My 30 ( no wheliee , no crazy stuff ) which will bring us yo your question why inquiring a Liter Bike then ? i really felt in love with it and i feel it the best Bang of the bank over there
- i live in a place with no twesstie , no moutain .... just highway and cities
- i'm not gonna change Bike for a long time

would appreciate some feedback regarding the handling if it would be too much for me to handle , considering i'm calm and reasonable person i will totally drive within my limit and respect the Bike ( and By respect i mean pissing my pants of fear ) in other word is it too much to handle for a Newbie respecting him self ?

p.s : im 5"7 and i can flatfooted and feel completely comfortable on it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do your self a favor - get a learner bike
I ride a number of bikes including a very fast race bike and a Wheelie monster Ducati
The GSX1000S has very fast acceleration that I am nervous about

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would consider myself to have a very similar temperament as you and was in an almost identical circumstance when I started out, however I listened to long term riders that I respected and started out an a 650 Bandit. Sure, I outgrew the Bandit after a couple of years, but inexperience also got me into a few spots of bother that I'm almost certain would have ended in tears (or worse) if I'd have been on any of the litre bikes I've owned.

My advice would be to think of you first bike as all part of the journey to bigger and better bikes. Get something smaller and cheaper that isn't going to bite your ar$e in the blink of an eye when you get it wrong and use it to get a decent amount of experience.... you'll know when it's time to move on :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a tough one. IF and ONLY IF you can keep out of the throttle you might be OK. I rode an FZ07 for a year and a half before I moved up. I really didn't like that bike but it gave me something tame to cut my teeth with. Lots of people start with big bikes but the extra power and weight can get you into trouble real quick.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pretty much same situation as you a year ago. Loved the looks of the GSX-S1000. It's what got me into riding in the first place. Likely for me, here in Western Australia, Australia you have to go 1 year on a restricted license (certain max power to weight ratio, 660cc max). I learnt to ride on a 2006 Suzuki GS500.

I'm 100% happy that i had to do it, as i would of definitely killed myself if i got the S1000 as a first bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't do it if I were you, but I've always been very safety cautious :).
I've been riding a small CBR250R for a little over 4 years. I'm slightly older than you and I just got the GSX-S1000f today and I consider this to be a gutsy decision (I was also considering the Aprilia Shiver as well).

I can honestly say that this bike is no joke, both it terms of acceleration and weight. I would recommend something like a 300-500 CBR from the Honda lineup. I'm sure there's plenty of those on the 2nd hand market.

Good luck and whatever you end up getting, ride safe.

* Check insurance quotes - money can be a good factor in helping you make your choice :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just No !! ... Unless you want to kill yourself very quickly .... as others have said get a SV650 or similar...!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would like to thank everybody for the great insight ( not that it's the first time i hear of it " start on a small Bike "^^ ) but please can someone bear with me the cringe and the frustration of my newbie question and go little deeper with me , why it would be such Horrible idea ?

is it because of the Horrible temptation i'm gonna be facing ?
is it because of the weight ? (209 kg lithest in her category) ?
is it because that twitchy throttle everybody keep telling me about ?

P.S: I'm perfectly aware you wish you wanna slap the f**k out of me , but please bear with me this is my first time posting on a forum just to show you that this topic is really causing me a lot of trouble , i have never been in front of such difficult decision in my entire life , it's buzzing in my mind 24/7 , my common sense tell me go FZ07 , and then the emotional side kick in and go like " dude go for the s1000 you gonna take it slow anyways and your commute is around 20km/daily sure you gonna suffer the first Month but then ohhh " then i figured something out start riding in this age is more of an emotional decision then a rational one so its perfectly normal that your decision will be inspired from the emotional side rather then the logical one and i freaking love that blue ,shape , sound and overall look.

i wish i can go for 300/250 then Liter rode , but unfortunately financially wise i cant cause where i live there is no a lot of 300/350 used for sale ( dubai ) as no one use it and going for a new 250 Then sell it after 2 month and loose this much money on it will get me sick , this why i choose the take it slow route .

Guyz you are the only people i can get a useful feedback from ( not sale person and not crazy friend ) , please turn off for a second your sentiment of exclusivity for riding the bike ( no offense intended ) and 250/300 rule and give it a 10sec tought and let me know .

i'm not looking for a validation i can go on " f**k it Mode " but i highly value your opinion and advice

Last question gentleman , would an R6 be a better option ? ( it's one of the possibility will really appreciate a feedback in this one , i opted for naked one assuming that they will be more easy to learn apparently i mistaken and R6 will be a safer )

thanks for contributing looking forward to hear from you ( Please fight the urge to insult me xd )

·
Registered
415 Posts
My attention span lasted only a couple of sentences so I'll guess what you're asking ☺. Should you buy it? No, it was designed for experienced riders. Full stop. But you still want it? Well go and buy it then! We're all adults here, the worst that can happens is serious disfigurement and death. You take the risk, you accept the consequences. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its definitely not a first bike, I had a GSR 600 as a first bike and it was lairy enough but it taught me some skills to help me ride the gsxs.
An r6 would be the better choice of the two but its a bike you have to ring its neck to get the best out of it and its still a quick bike. A good rider on a 600 will embarrass an average rider on a 1000.
Me and a mate had a conversation that you dont need a 1000cc bike as you dont get the opportunity to use all of the power on normal roads and that a 600 is enough, I went ahead and bought the gsxs anyway and we were right you cannot use all of the power (not on brittish roads anyway) its just border line insane, the ammount of time I found myself sayin "oh F**k to fast into this corner" after coming off the 600 was considerable. Fortunately I had the skills I learnt on the 600 to sort it out before it ended badly.

In short, buy a smaller bike learn the craft and progress with your life intact

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take a 650 for a spin. You'll be surprised how powerful they actually are. Before I sold my full power ER6N for the GSXS 1000 I could keep up with my mates Aprilia Tuano and BMW 1000RR through the twistes. Track days they blasted past me on the straights doing 260km, me at 190km. But once you slam all anchors on at 190, slide, drag knee, you'll be buzzing and you won't need a 1000. I guarantee you'll enjoy the 650 way more at this stage of your riding career. In fact, I think the GSXS might actually put you off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This bike is too heavy and too twitchy for a new rider.

In your first 6 months of riding, you will be 90% occupied just focusing on riding. The remaining 10% is NOT enough to control this twitchy machine.

The odds of dropping a bike this big as a new rider (especially if you're 5'7") are really really high. Do yourself a favor and get a bike that you can catch if you lose your balance. Better yet, get a bike that you won't really care if you do drop it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
if it is your very first bike i would say no and go for a 600, but if you dont ride like a loonie and leave it in tc3 and take your time you might be alright but if your still alive after 3 months you wont look back lol you will have made the right decision

·
Registered
141 Posts
go for this bike, it's my third bike and it could have been my first, yes it can go fast, but any bike can technically go fast...

traction control on this thing makes it great to learn with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The throttle and acceleration on this bike is what can bite you. I would recommend a Hayabusa over an S1000. It's all in the delivery. The Busa has lazy torque, so you can commute like you were driving a car with just a whiff of throttle and 1500 to 2000rpm on the dial. She then has a kind of linear thrust which you can start to play with on the straights and gradually build up the rev range. The GSXS-1000 gives you things quickly, and punishes poor decisions.

I completely agree with others on here suggesting something like an SV650 or 650r. They are monumental bikes that let you gain more confidence in your riding ability, learn more tricks and evolve. When ridden well, they are also fearsomely quick and will surprise anyone on a litre bike that doesn't know what they are doing. Riding a 250 is different to riding a 600 inline 4, is different to riding a 650 twin is different to riding a litre inline 4. All of them require different styles to get the most out of them and that education is enjoyable and gives you a lot more tools to play with when you get to the big bikes.

In saying that, if you really want to do it, go for it. I've seen more people get themselves into trouble on smaller displacements than larger. Nothing beats seat time. Make sure you always get yourself in a calm state of mind before cocking your leg over her and make every journey one of education. Learn more about her and yourself. Explore carefully. ALWAYS respect her power. You're old enough that you (should) have a heightened sense of your own mortality so if you are confident you can dial it down, go for it. The

Be sensible, follow the run in instructions to the letter so you get used to the power at different parts of the rev range. Start getting used to that power on long, open stretches of straight, quiet road. And get yourself booked in for the first three levels of California Superbike School (Home - SuperbikeSchoolME.com) as soon as you take delivery. See if there are any advanced riding courses as well. The more knowledge and skills you have regarding hazard spotting and avoidance, the less likely you are to get yourself in trouble.

I think the biggest thing with jumping straight to the litre bike, is you may never get the most out of it as you haven't gone through the learning steps I mention above. Being a motorcyclist is a journey and one of the greatest things about it is riding different bikes that are awesome in their own way and learning new skills as you go. I see too many older guys in Ducati leathers riding Panigale's and 1198's with chicken strips almost bigger than the contact patch down the centre of the tyre. They can't be enjoying being a motorcyclist.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts